An idea to think about

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
If we get rid of CPJ it would be an idea to hire back Frigein as OC and keep Ted Roof as HC. I think this is a possible idea if we can CPJ this season. Roof would have been there 2 years. The alums like him, players love to play for him. Players don't have the same love for CPJ at all.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I've been meaning to ask this question. CPJ was liked by quite a few USNA players I know, some think he's the greatest ever. Did he get hit in the head somewhere between Annapolis and Atlanta and all if a sudden become this coach that's widely despised by his players? I don't know any GT players personally so I only have 1 side of the picture. I've never met a Midn player that didn't have overwhelmingly positive things to say. When I mention I'm a GT grad they just start talking.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been meaning to ask this question. CPJ was liked by quite a few USNA players I know, some think he's the greatest ever. Did he get hit in the head somewhere between Annapolis and Atlanta and all if a sudden become this coach that's widely despised by his players? I don't know any GT players personally so I only have 1 side of the picture. I've never met a Midn player that didn't have overwhelmingly positive things to say. When I mention I'm a GT grad they just start talking.

Totally agree!

Possible cpj was the comic relief for players at Annapolis!

If we get rid of CPJ it would be an idea to hire back Frigein as OC and keep Ted Roof as HC. I think this is a possible idea if we can CPJ this season. Roof would have been there 2 years. The alums like him, players love to play for him. Players don't have the same love for CPJ at all.

Who says Johnson's players at Tech don't like him. How about, instead of stating and obviously pre-formed OPINION, you offer some facts. If his players don't like him, why do so many of his former (RECENT former) players come back and stand on the sidelines at games? How about giving us one actual quote by one player who has said he doesn't like Johnson.

"widely despised by his players"??? That's just plain B S !!!

boozinbuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
This whole "players like/dislike him" thing is dumb. There are 100+ players on a team at any given time. Of course not all of them are going to like him. Football teams are just like any other company/business. There are going to be some employees that like the boss and some that don't.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
This whole "players like/dislike him" thing is dumb. There are 100+ players on a team at any given time. Of course not all of them are going to like him. Football teams are just like any other company/business. There are going to be some employees that like the boss and some that don't.
Only someone in the locker room can know for sure. I've read he's great to be around and is the king of ping pong.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
This "players despise him" crap is comic gold. Maybe I should just embrace the StingTalkification of this board and become another sarcastic blowhard. I already know all the punch lines.
If this was StingTalk, I would say your mom blows hard. But since it's not, I will say I agree with you. The "players despise the coach" has been repeated so often that it has become a given in some fans ' minds. I am genuinely curious about the mood in the locker room. Are there any former players from last year's team who post on this board?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This "players despise him" crap is comic gold. Maybe I should just embrace the StingTalkification of this board and become another sarcastic blowhard. I already know all the punch lines.

John, CuseJacket and I do our best to keep the board as clean as we can...This is the off-season and then we have two sides of how people feel about Coach Johnson..which of course is going to lead to debates.

The thing is to keep name calling and immaturity out of posts.

If you feel something is out of line then please report it to us.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
John, CuseJacket and I do our best to keep the board as clean as we can...This is the off-season and then we have two sides of how people feel about Coach Johnson..which of course is going to lead to debates.

The thing is to keep name calling and immaturity out of posts.

If you feel something is out of line then please report it to us.

Man, you guys do an incredible job. I meant nothing against the mods here at all. I really shouldn't have even responded. I have gotten frustrated lately at some of the repetitive thread topics, or how well-intentioned threads have gotten hijacked, but this is without a doubt the best GT message board I have EVER frequented, and I appreciate the job @Eric , @John and @CuseJacket do to keep things civil and football-related. I need to do my part in that regard as well. Thanks again guys!

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan

This is not a true statement for NCAA football players for many reasons... Perfect example is the fact that a coach can physically touch, curse, abuse, or punish a player and this behavior is excepted as part of the game; its known a "assault and battery" and many other terms like, sexual harassment, hostile work environment etc, in the normal work place.

Not trying to start a debate on this and you are correct as far as employees of the team are concerned.

thwgjacket

This is not a true statement for NCAA football players for many reasons... Perfect example is the fact that a coach can physically touch, curse, abuse, or punish a player and this behavior is excepted as part of the game; its known a "assault and battery" and many other terms like, sexual harassment, hostile work environment etc, in the normal work place.

Not trying to start a debate on this and you are correct as far as employees of the team are concerned.
A coach can't touch an athlete in any way other than to instruct on how to play. They also can't verbally abuse them. There are plenty of examples of coaches getting in trouble for this. Most recently Leach at Texas Tech. Do coaches yell? Yes. Do coaches curse? Yes. Speaking from experience 99.9% of Division 1 athletes know that it's not personal. We are taught to pay attention to the message and not how the message is relayed. It's not for everyone, it's a high pressure thing. Coaching jobs and scholarships are on the line. But I know people who fear their bosses and any superiors. I love knowing that I will never be chewed out as bad as I was on the field so I have nothing to fear from my boss. It made me a better man.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
A coach can't touch an athlete in any way other than to instruct on how to play. They also can't verbally abuse them. There are plenty of examples of coaches getting in trouble for this. Most recently Leach at Texas Tech. Do coaches yell? Yes. Do coaches curse? Yes. Speaking from experience 99.9% of Division 1 athletes know that it's not personal. We are taught to pay attention to the message and not how the message is relayed. It's not for everyone, it's a high pressure thing. Coaching jobs and scholarships are on the line. But I know people who fear their bosses and any superiors. I love knowing that I will never be chewed out as bad as I was on the field so I have nothing to fear from my boss. It made me a better man.
That's the difference between a coach and a manager. I've seen guys do things on the field/court that would get them arrested on the street.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a CPJ supporter but I just think he has lost a lot of fans. You can look in the stands the past 3 years. Believe me I have been to most of the games and you can feel a vibe that isn't exciting. Even under CCGs 7 win years there was more buzz and a better vibe around bobby dodd. In 2007 it was better. The perception isn't good for us especially in this region. It needs to change