An Eye on the Future: Monken and Analytics

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Very good article. Reminds me of this video I saw recently:

Basically he breaks down the chance of winning based on extra point vs two point conversion in the Auburn Oregon game earlier in the year. One quote that stood out to me:
The moment they lined up for an extra point someone should have said something, and these organizations should no better than to do this...Frankly, this is why decisions to go for it or not shouldn't be up to the head coach at all. They should have an in game analyst that knows the stats and can make the decision for them. There should be someone with a calculator who knows what's going on.

It sounds like Army is employing this strategy, and I couldn't agree with it more. There are certainly times when you deviate from analytics (maybe there have been multiple key injuries that change the precomputed statistics, or maybe your kicker has already missed multiple kicks in the game, etc), but you should go into the game with these stats ahead of time since you cannot deviate from proper game theory without first knowing what the proper choice is.