An Article That Every GT FB Fan Should Read

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If our success depends on UGA's failure, we need a better plan. FSU got away with a low spend program - for a while - due to the tremendous success Bobby Bowden had built over the years. As the game and the college football arms race evolved, FSU was blinded by their own success and didn't adapt to change quickly enough. Their problems were exacerbated by poor leadership.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
People are taking that quote about FSU's spending out of context. They are second only to Bama over the last decade in football spending, beating even the likes of Clemson and uga. The issue with their spending isn't that they aren't spending enough, it's just not on the right things.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins is doing the only thing any coach at GT could do to turn this program around and that is market to 14-18 year olds. Y’all are arguing about things that don’t matter. GT football’s aura is basically dead at this point. I loved the option and Johnson as coach, but the media (pushed by opposing coaches and players) flipped the script on the option around year 3 from a successful feel good story to one of chop blocking and no one wants to play in it or practice against it. And Johnson NEVER fought back. He’d give a gruff response and move on. He didn’t see our perception on social media where players live. By year 10 that narrative was considered case closed true. I think it’s garbage, but perception is reality as we couldn’t even get dual threat QB’s to come here. Johnson’s offense turned into a QB keep offense as neither Taquon or Tobias could pass a lick and Lucas Johnson could do neither.

Think about this, all middle and high school players have ever seen of GT is the option and all they have ever heard every game was “chop blocking”, “no play sheet”, and “1 of 4 without University in the name”. It’s going to take time to teach young boys that GT football is now like everybody else. I’m really amazed at how fast Collins has been able to convince some pretty good players to come here. Getting guys like Brown, Ezzard, and Blackstrain to come here is the start, let alone a Elite 11 QB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Smells like Georgia – all the talent money can buy, more money than you can spend, a ridiculously terrible academic reputation, and tons of discipline problems. What could possibly go wrong?
The article, which quoted primary sources in the program, said that FSU had always had money problems. Even when they were winning six or seven years ago they were lagging far behind Clemson in what they could raise and spend. Bowden, a little bit like CPJ, was able to win on the cheap, further reinforcing the administration’s more austere approach compared to other programs.

Deleted member 2897

The article, which quoted primary sources in the program, said that FSU had always had money problems. Even when they were winning six or seven years ago they were lagging far behind Clemson in what they could raise and spend. Bowden, a little bit like CPJ, was able to win on the cheap, further reinforcing the administration’s more austere approach compared to other programs.

FSU had a shadow athletics booster endowment run and managed until just lately separate from the school. They’ve never lacked for money in modern times. They raised (again, in addition to the schools own budget) over $50m/year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
FSU had a shadow athletics booster endowment run and managed until just lately separate from the school. They’ve never lacked for money in modern times. They raised (again, in addition to the schools own budget) over $50m/year.

I said the same earlier. FSU spends more money than any team but Bama. It's how they are spending it that has been the issue.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I’m just reporting from the article which claims the booster club memberships are younger than other booster clubs at other schools and therefore not as generous. One project mentioned fell short by tens of millions in meeting its goal.

But it sounds like you are refuting the whole premise of the article.

Deleted member 2897

I’m just reporting from the article which claims the booster club memberships are younger than other booster clubs at other schools and therefore not as generous. One project mentioned fell short by tens of millions in meeting its goal.

But it sounds like you are refuting the whole premise of the article.

I’m not. My first response was agreeing with nearly it all. FSU has a lot wrong which I’ve listed. Money MANAGEMENT may be a problem, but having plenty of money itself has never been a problem.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One reason we need UGA to fail is if we want to own the ATL we aren't going to do that without two things happening: beat UGA and have the UGA program fall off. UGA owns the media, the sidewalk fans and the HS' in the area. Collins can talk all he wants about the ATL and taking it over, but we are going to have to do that on the field as well. I like CGC's energy and he seems to have a plan, but he needs to start landing some Top 20 players from the area in the next few classes and not lose to your two closest geographic rivals by record amounts.
yep, GA players are taken from here to everywhere-I was watching Northwestern/Wis yesterday and a NW wr made a fine catch and they said "he' s from Atl". hmmm

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m not. My first response was agreeing with nearly it all. FSU has a lot wrong which I’ve listed. Money MANAGEMENT may be a problem, but having plenty of money itself has never been a problem.
And I would be the first to confess I have no intimate knowledge of how their fund raising goes so it sounds like from your observation managing their money better would be an easy fix with the right AD.

yep, GA players are taken from here to everywhere-I was watching Northwestern/Wis yesterday and a NW wr made a fine catch and they said "he' s from Atl". hmmm
The Reason that this WR in question was at NW to begin with is because for most of his K-12 upbringing we had a HC that was a horrible Recruiter and our Offense had WRs that would go an entire 4yr Career with about 30 catches max

Examples like the guy you listed from NW shows that the Academic Qualifiers are out there at GA HSs, GT just has to be a more attractive option for them

For all the guys claiming budget issues (not directed at you) had we given the Previous HC the same Spending level for Recruiting as UGA, it wouldn't have made any difference, HS Recruits in GA know that our HS FB is at an Elite Level and they know that at the right College they can have a shot at the NFL in just 3 short yrs, giving the previous HC more money wasn't going to pull the wool over the eyes of Top100 Recruits from GA HSs

For the 11 yrs of our Previous HC'S tenure, GA HS FB elevated a lot of CFB Programs around the Country, TBH even if we never compete with UGA-BAMA-Clemson for Recruits, there are enough Recruits in our own backyard to become a consistent 10 win Program with a shot at the CFP once a decade

At this point GT, The GTAA, and our Fans have to attack Recruiting as if it's the only thing that matters

Because it is!

Same for MBB, multiple 1st rnd NBA draft choices that played their HS BBall within an hr drive of McCamish

At some point we as GT fans and as a University have to get tired of the lame excuses

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
And I will add one other thing. The city of Atlanta is not a plus. All those SEC schools are away from the issues of the city. Parents want their kids to stay out of trouble. And this is only going to get worse.
So what paper are you looking that shows all the GT student arrests vs the $ec "small towns of 100,000+ population" arrests?

I think the evidence is pretty clear that more uga players are arrested vs GT every year. Ever heard of the Fulmer Cup?

Milwaukee

Banned
The Reason that this WR in question was at NW to begin with is because for most of his K-12 upbringing we had a HC that was a horrible Recruiter and our Offense had WRs that would go an entire 4yr Career with about 30 catches max

Examples like the guy you listed from NW shows that the Academic Qualifiers are out there at GA HSs, GT just has to be a more attractive option for them

For all the guys claiming budget issues (not directed at you) had we given the Previous HC the same Spending level for Recruiting as UGA, it wouldn't have made any difference, HS Recruits in GA know that our HS FB is at an Elite Level and they know that at the right College they can have a shot at the NFL in just 3 short yrs, giving the previous HC more money wasn't going to pull the wool over the eyes of Top100 Recruits from GA HSs

For the 11 yrs of our Previous HC'S tenure, GA HS FB elevated a lot of CFB Programs around the Country, TBH even if we never compete with UGA-BAMA-Clemson for Recruits, there are enough Recruits in our own backyard to become a consistent 10 win Program with a shot at the CFP once a decade

At this point GT, The GTAA, and our Fans have to attack Recruiting as if it's the only thing that matters

Because it is!

Same for MBB, multiple 1st rnd NBA draft choices that played their HS BBall within an hr drive of McCamish

At some point we as GT fans and as a University have to get tired of the lame excuses
I personally believe the negative recruiting against the TO only worked, and boy did it ever, because we began to suck so much and didn’t have killers for recruiters. As much as Collins and Key rant against the option (because their job is to sell the current scheme) I firmly believe they could sell the hell out of the TO scheme if they chose to. They’re natural recruiters aka salesmen.
You know what’s cool to recruits? Winning and the NFL. If Paul would’ve had more success and put players into the league at the skill positions consistently the sky was the limit. But unfortunately we began to suck so it had to be torn down, and it was the right call after he quit.
The thing I like about this new crew is they firmly believe in their hearts that we are a sleeping giant. I dig that, and some of our GT beta-male fans need to get that energy as well.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The negativity around the option wasn’t there at the beginning. Actually it was the opposite. The press was on our side due to Johnson’s success at Navy and his first year success here. But then the whispers started in the form of negative recruiting which is normal. What isn’t normal is the team getting crapped on never fought back. Could you imagine what Collins would say if a reporter asked him about his system? Collins would spend days fighting for GT instead of just acting as if it didn’t exist. Once the high school players bought the media narrative it was over for Johnson. We just didn’t know it. We caught lightening one year with an offensive line and Thomas and it was fun. But then it was all down hill as the lack of recruiting caught up as did ACC defensive coordinators.

As stated earlier, the only thing that matters is to make GT football a viable option again for young football players. Not for old GT alum, not for students, not for any of us, but for middle and high school football players who have been fed propaganda against GT since they were 5 years old. Jeff Sims and Jahmyr Gibbs will do more for the future of GT football than anything Collins can do. Collins is doing his part as marketeer in chief but it will be our special players who make GT relevant again.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As stated earlier, the only thing that matters is to make GT football a viable option again for young football players. Not for old GT alum, not for students, not for any of us, but for middle and high school football players who have been fed propaganda against GT since they were 5 years old.

It's a balancing act but I think you have to keep the alums happy too. Not the ones who type on the internet and maybe buy tickets and throw in a few bucks here and there but the ones who write the big checks that matter. You can't win without those guys either. Need the Gibbs AND the crusty old alums imo.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
“GT now has HST and LMC as Academic Majors to go along with Business, most years roughly 80 of the Top 100 HS FB in Ga can get accepted to “

whats LMC?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
. Jeff Sims and Jahmyr Gibbs will do more for the future of GT football than anything Collins can do. Collins is doing his part as marketeer in chief but it will be our special players who make GT relevant again.
Those two guys are extremely important for the future of GT football. If they can get some help around them(c’mon CBK!), they have a chance to elevate the culture of GT football. This is their first year so there’s going to be bumps in the road but I forecast special things by year 3.

Unfortunately, we also lost Gowdy who I also saw as a guy that just seemed to have that “it” factor. He would’ve been starting and a definite playmaker IMO.

The one issue concerning me about the next couple years that HAS TO BE ADDRESSED.

DT-we aren’t pulling in the recruits....so we will need to be looking to the transfer portal. If we can get some of those guys I have confidence it CGC to field a decent defense.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
So what paper are you looking that shows all the GT student arrests vs the $ec "small towns of 100,000+ population" arrests?

I think the evidence is pretty clear that more uga players are arrested vs GT every year. Ever heard of the Fulmer Cup?
You have to do a lot more in Atlanta to get arrested. The cops have much bigger fish to fry than a public intox or MIP. Shoot weed is decriminalized in ATL. You’re getting your *** thrown in jail in these podunk southern towns for having a roach in your ash tray.

I’m on the other spectrum from most of our older fans, where I believe we should actually embrace the Dedrick Mills and not kick them out of school. I used to sit in the steam room/sauna at the SAC with Rodney Williams. We both knew why we were in there...

What you do on your own personal time is irrelevant if you bust your *** when you are on the clock. Much rather have a pot smoker than a drinker in my locker room. I can almost guarantee the bar scene in UGA hinders their success.

Deleted member 2897

Because it is!

Look, you make some very good posts. But you’re going to start losing people if you keep denigrating former players and coaches and conflating the challenges of academics versus a STEM school.

Deleted member 2897

It's a balancing act but I think you have to keep the alums happy too. Not the ones who type on the internet and maybe buy tickets and throw in a few bucks here and there but the ones who write the big checks that matter. You can't win without those guys either. Need the Gibbs AND the crusty old alums imo.

Yep. I have strongly felt we need to rebrand the lower levels of our GTAA program to call it something like GOLD (gift of loyalty donation) where you give say $50/year (or pick your number). We’ve got to make the regular Joe’s more relevant, significantly increase revenue, and lessen the dependency on the big checks. It’s been a few years, but the last time I looked, something like 1/3 as many Georgia Tech alumni give back to the athletic department as do other places like Clemson.