An Article That Every GT FB Fan Should Read

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Leadership. Everyone wants to lay praise/criticism at the head coach, but it goes deeper than that. The AD and President are a bigger influence than most people realize. Our program took a downward dip with Clough/Braine. Peterson/Bigfoot weren't plums, either. Glad to have Stansbury back at GT, who is from the Homer Rice tree.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Leadership. Everyone wants to lay praise/criticism at the head coach, but it goes deeper than that. The AD and President are a bigger influence than most people realize. Our program took a downward dip with Clough/Braine. Peterson/Bigfoot weren't plums, either. Glad to have Stansbury back at GT, who is from the Homer Rice tree.
Hope you're right about Stansbury. If he can get us through the Covid-19 related financial issues and Collins turns out to be a good hire, then we've got a winner. The financial issues are troubling right now.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...hletic-department/TLQG2WIIWZCCTCE7B2FTPXGBGA/

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Can't open link. Can you give us a brief summary of the hole we're in?
Stansbury said we have a serious challenge ahead of us. No one has been laid off, but there are 16 vacant positions that have not been filled. The recruiting budget has been cut by 50%, but the good news on that is we can't visit recruits home or away due to NCAA restricts (Covid-19). We lost a lot of money due to two concerts being cancelled at BDS, football ticket sales (big draws in Clemson and Notre Dame at MBS) and the Kentucky basketball game at State Farm Arena. They've had to make cuts in other areas too. The support the Swarm fund has not been super successful. Stansbury wants 15M and so far they have raised 1.7M. I think a lot of other schools are in the same boat, but then you have teams like Clemson and Alabama that always seem to have money coming in.

Last edited:
Since I'm such a huge optimist, one of the things that I gleaned from the Article is that FSU under Bowden was a "small Money Athl Program" and they could get away with it because they were located so close to so much HS FB Talent...........sound familiar, can we do something similar on a smaller scale?

Also from the Article, someone said that FSU "didn't need to spend like an SEC Program, they just needed to act like one"............. could this be GT not needing to spend like an SEC Program, all we have to do is act like one since the Talent is nearby?

Another thing I picked up from the Article is that FSU hired "an Academic Putz" for an AD trying to win the Director's Cup for overall Athl Dept success ultimately wasting Money on crap non-Revenue Sports, instead of doing what made FSU a success:

Put the focus on FB first & foremost and allow the "rising tide of a successful FB Program" lift the entire Athl Dept and all the non-Revenue Sports along with it

I'm hoping that TStan is that FB first Athl Director that will help us act like an SEC Program with all the elite nearby Talent

The Article also shows why Roster Mgmt & oversigning isn't necessarily a bad thing, the Modern Day Player has a mercenary attitude anyway, it is better to just clean house than have guys hanging around going thru the motions sabatoging any chance that the New Staff has for success, the Modern Day Player acts as if the current Staff didn't Recruit me therefore I don't owe them any loyalty, might as well send their arse packing

I guess you can't blame the Players when they constantly read about HCs with buyouts ranging from $5Million to $20Million and yearly paychecks starting at $4million per yr, even Purdue is paying their HC $6million per yr

Just some things I picked up on from the Article mixed in with some Editorializing

Deleted member 2897

Smells like Georgia – all the talent money can buy, more money than you can spend, a ridiculously terrible academic reputation, and tons of discipline problems. What could possibly go wrong?

Smells like Georgia – all the talent money can buy, more money than you can spend, a ridiculously terrible academic reputation, and tons of discipline problems. What could possibly go wrong?
Just curious:

How does identifying what UGA FB isn't, move GT FB forward in any way?

It seems as if some of the GT Fans gets more enjoyment watching UGA fail to other Programs instead of us elevating our own Program and GT being the reason that UGA fails

I find it amazing that when we analyze case studies we don't see how GT can benefit, instead some of us see how UGA is failing

To the OP, UGA FB is living in your head, rent free

Deleted member 2897

Just curious:

It seems as if some of the GT Fans gets more enjoyment watching UGA fail to other Programs instead of us elevating our own Program and GT being the reason that UGA fails

I find it amazing that when we analyze case studies we don't see how GT can benefit, instead some of us see how UGA is failing

Different topic. I was replying to the content on this thread.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Interesting article. It did track Tech during Paul's time. When he was at Tech we won regularly and sometimes won big despite a very limited budget for the football program. And, since finances were stretched for all sports, it only took one AD who didn't understand the place the football program held - you know who - to make the situation even worse. I think Tech is like FSU in terms of the way the boosters work as well. And one thing you could say about Paul, he knew the number one rule in recruiting for any organization of any kind: don't recruit problems. FSU's forgot this under Jimbo and he thought he could get away with it.

It also highlights some of the problems we have. First, "acting like an SEC program" isn't going to happen at Tech. It's not that kind of place and never has been. It might be feasible to put the bulk of resources behind the football program, but I think that would get some major pushback. Second, our curriculum isn't as attractive to high school athletes as a more general one. Again, this is something we can get around with the right kind of recruiting, but not completely. Finally, I think getting rid of Taggart so soon was a mistake, just like getting rid of Collins before he gets himself and his team settled in would be. Another couple of years really is necessary, provided we see some improvement going forward.

Mr TakeThePoints:

At one point in time were a solid upper half of the SEC type of Program, maybe upper quarter of the SEC

GT now has HST and LMC as Academic Majors to go along with Business, most years roughly 80 of the Top 100 HS FB in Ga can get accepted to GT as a FB Recruit (different, lower standard)

Having a great FB Program on the field doesn't diminish Avademics in any way

All the recent Blue Chip QBs out of Ga were Academic Qualifiers for GT, Cam Newton, Watson, Lawrence, Fields, Fromm

Academics hasn't been a problem for GTFB in the last 25 or so years, the problem is GTFB being "attractive enough" for the Elite Recruits from GA HSs

They aren't rejecting GT due to Academics, they just aren't attracted to GT FB

Adam Pac-Man Jones sent his LOI to West Virginia instead of GT or else he would have been running around ATL during his eligibility, if we can give an LOI to Pac-Man we have a wide latitude of guys we can Recruit IMHO

I wish there could be some sort of "Gentlemen's Agreement" among all the major GT Msg Boards to never mention Academics ever again or at least replace the word with those umlat thingys

I think having an excuse handy & close by makes it difficult for our Fans to honestly assess GT FB and look for ways we can improve

Explain ND, crappy locale, ugly women compared to ATL, bad weather, yet they pump out Pros every year, BTW this isn't ND of the Mid 70s, they are no longer loading up on slow Players from Catholic HSs, they're getting Guys like Tuitt that could've gone to Bama or anywhere

I see no reason why we can't act like an SEC Program wirhout spending like one

Deleted member 2897

Mr TakeThePoints:

At one point in time were a solid upper half of the SEC type of Program, maybe upper quarter of the SEC

GT now has HST and LMC as Academic Majors to go along with Business, most years roughly 80 of the Top 100 HS FB in Ga can get accepted to GT as a FB Recruit (different, lower standard)

All the recent Blue Chip QBs out of Ga were Academic Qualifiers for GT, Cam Newton, Watson, Lawrence, Fields, Fromm

Academics hasn't been a problem for GTFB in the last 25 or so years, the problem is GTFB being "attractive enough" for the Elite Recruits from GA HSs

Adam Pac-Man Jones sent his LOI to West Virginia instead of GT or else he would have been running around ATL during his eligibility, if we can give an LOI to Pac-Man we have a wide latitude of guys we can Recruit IMHO

I wish there could be some sort of "Gentlemen's Agreement" among all the major GT Msg Boards to never mention Academics ever again or at least replace the word with those umlat thingys

I think having an excuse handy & close by makes it difficult for our Fans to honestly assess GT FB and look for ways we can improve

Explain ND, crappy locale, ugly women compared to ATL, bad weather, yet they pump out Pros every year, BTW this isn't ND of the Mid 70s, they are no longer loading up on slow Players from Catholic HSs, they're getting Guys like Tuitt that could've gone to Bama or anywhere

Well, academics and integrity are our brand. So we should talk about it, but to your point - differently. 70% of Georgia’s players need special exemptions just to get into school. But again to your point 😃 we don’t need those. We’ve indeed shown we can get top 25 classes without changing anything other than getting different players. It can be done, and plenty of players who can handle GT exist. I think the reason some people didn’t think it was possible is because they’re old. Not 25-30 years ago, GT was a different place. The freshman retention rate and graduation rates are massively higher now. This isn’t your grandfathers Institute.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Mr TakeThePoints:

You've made a common mistake. You are equating having the qualifications to get into Tech with wanting to go there. These are two very different things and always have been. And the reason doesn't have much to do with not being "attracted to GT football" either. The problem is that Tech is still a technical institute, not a general university (like ND, btw). Sooner or later at Tech you will run into requirements that you won't run into at, say, Ugag or Bama or UNC or da U. And those requirements are tough; that's why we have such an extensive tutorial program for athletes. We've been over this here I don't know how many times.

Now, you can ignore all of this; obviously, you have. But that almost defines magical thinking, imho. Tech has overcome it's curriculum problem many times in the past; shoot, we had a really good recruiting class just last year. But I doubt we can do so consistently over time. What Tech has always needed is coaches who can work around that and win. We'll see if Collins can.

Btw, there's no need for a "Mr." here; just regular old TTP will do fine.

You've made a common mistake. You are equating having the qualifications to get into Tech with wanting to go there. These are two very different things and always have been. And the reason doesn't have much to do with not being "attracted to GT football" either. The problem is that Tech is still a technical institute, not a general university (like ND, btw). Sooner or later at Tech you will run into requirements that you won't run into at, say, Ugag or Bama or UNC or da U. And those requirements are tough; that's why we have such an extensive tutorial program for athletes. We've been over this here I don't know how many times.

Now, you can ignore all of this; obviously, you have. But that almost defines magical thinking, imho. Tech has overcome it's curriculum problem many times in the past; shoot, we had a really good recruiting class just last year. But I doubt we can do so consistently over time. What Tech has always needed is coaches who can work around that and win. We'll see if Collins can.

Btw, there's no need for a "Mr." here; just regular old TTP will do fine.
And I will add one other thing. The city of Atlanta is not a plus. All those SEC schools are away from the issues of the city. Parents want their kids to stay out of trouble. And this is only going to get worse.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Just curious:

One reason we need UGA to fail is if we want to own the ATL we aren't going to do that without two things happening: beat UGA and have the UGA program fall off. UGA owns the media, the sidewalk fans and the HS' in the area. Collins can talk all he wants about the ATL and taking it over, but we are going to have to do that on the field as well. I like CGC's energy and he seems to have a plan, but he needs to start landing some Top 20 players from the area in the next few classes and not lose to your two closest geographic rivals by record amounts.