Alumni discount for 3-pack

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I've heard this in the past, but hard to believe. Are there any stats, studies, polls, etc to support it?
How about just taking a look around the stadium during COFH games? Look at how much red and black is in the gold seats. Look at all the red and black in the lower west. It doesn’t need stats or studies when it’s obvious.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Guess we have a lot of "crap" fans? :mad::oops:
Don't think we should assume that all, or even most, mutt fans at COFH in Bobby Dodd are getting their tickets from "crap" Tech fans, although I'm sure some are. It's a not-well-kept secret that many die-hard mutt fans purchase our season ticket packages, sell all but the COFH game on StubHub or alternate ticket sites, and end up breaking even or better. The rise of easy-to-use online resale platforms has likely contributed to this trend. Think about the economics of it, and the fact that mutt fans outnumber us in the Atlanta area. It probably costs mutt fans more to attend the game in Athens than when it's in Atlanta if they follow the season ticket/sell-off route. The 3-game package now offered may actually make it easier for them. Obviously, it's impossible to get an accurate count of how prevalent this practice is, but in my opinion, it is a significant factor in the amount of red in the stands.
The solution? Unless someone can come up with some sort of foolproof "True Tech Fan ID" for season tickets, or limits on resales, we are going to need to improve the fan experience (in all aspects, including on-field performance) to the point where more actual Tech fans want to purchase season tickets. Also, I'm sure the GTAA is happy to accept mutt fans $$; their money is just as green as Tech fans.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't think we should assume that all, or even most, mutt fans at COFH in Bobby Dodd are getting their tickets from "crap" Tech fans, although I'm sure some are. It's a not-well-kept secret that many die-hard mutt fans purchase our season ticket packages, sell all but the COFH game on StubHub or alternate ticket sites, and end up breaking even or better. The rise of easy-to-use online resale platforms has likely contributed to this trend. Think about the economics of it, and the fact that mutt fans outnumber us in the Atlanta area. It probably costs mutt fans more to attend the game in Athens than when it's in Atlanta if they follow the season ticket/sell-off route. The 3-game package now offered may actually make it easier for them. Obviously, it's impossible to get an accurate count of how prevalent this practice is, but in my opinion, it is a significant factor in the amount of red in the stands.
The solution? Unless someone can come up with some sort of foolproof "True Tech Fan ID" for season tickets, or limits on resales, we are going to need to improve the fan experience (in all aspects, including on-field performance) to the point where more actual Tech fans want to purchase season tickets. Also, I'm sure the GTAA is happy to accept mutt fans $$; their money is just as green as Tech fans.

That's what I had thought but I was roundly trounced upon by mildly suggesting that maybe all the UGANS were not obtaining their tickets from our ("crap" as one of our posters suggested) fans.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I saw some numbers but don't remember the source and don't remember the numbers exactly. From my recollection of that data, during non-mutt-at-BDS years, season tickets drop by about 2k.

I don't recall ever seeing the GTAA publish actual numbers of season tickets, and estimates of numbers of season tickets sold vary greatly depending on if they include or exclude student season tickets in their numbers. I believe estimates that I have seen are in the 30-35k range.

Take a look at the pictures of BDS of the mutt game in 2019. There are more than 2k mutt fans in the stands. If you take 2k plus 20k for every available seat after ticket holders, that would mean 22k non-GT-fan-season-tickets would be available to mutt fans. There were MANY more than 22k mutt fans in the stands in 2019. I would go as far as to say that out of 55,000, there were probably 35,000 wearing red. If there were only 22k tickets available for non-GT-fan-season-ticket holders, then how did 13k more than that get into the stadium?

Look in the club section in the pictures. Probably about 40% of that section is wearing red. Is it less expensive to purchase a club seat than to attend a game in Athens? Is a mutt fan going to donate enough money, or have season tickets long enough to have enough priority points to get season tickets in the club section?

Take a look at stubhub right now: https://www.stubhub.com/georgia-tec...l-atlanta-tickets-11-27-2021/event/104785582/ There are mutt tickets available for sale already. Those are GT season ticket holders who are planning to sell their mutt tickets. If those were mutt fans who only purchased tickets for that game, they wouldn't be selling them. If you were to write down every one of those tickets and look in those seats in November, I would just about guarantee that more than 90% of them will be occupied by someone wearing red.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw some numbers but don't remember the source and don't remember the numbers exactly. From my recollection of that data, during non-mutt-at-BDS years, season tickets drop by about 2k.

I don't recall ever seeing the GTAA publish actual numbers of season tickets, and estimates of numbers of season tickets sold vary greatly depending on if they include or exclude student season tickets in their numbers. I believe estimates that I have seen are in the 30-35k range.

Take a look at the pictures of BDS of the mutt game in 2019. There are more than 2k mutt fans in the stands. If you take 2k plus 20k for every available seat after ticket holders, that would mean 22k non-GT-fan-season-tickets would be available to mutt fans. There were MANY more than 22k mutt fans in the stands in 2019. I would go as far as to say that out of 55,000, there were probably 35,000 wearing red. If there were only 22k tickets available for non-GT-fan-season-ticket holders, then how did 13k more than that get into the stadium?

Look in the club section in the pictures. Probably about 40% of that section is wearing red. Is it less expensive to purchase a club seat than to attend a game in Athens? Is a mutt fan going to donate enough money, or have season tickets long enough to have enough priority points to get season tickets in the club section?

Take a look at stubhub right now: https://www.stubhub.com/georgia-tec...l-atlanta-tickets-11-27-2021/event/104785582/ There are mutt tickets available for sale already. Those are GT season ticket holders who are planning to sell their mutt tickets. If those were mutt fans who only purchased tickets for that game, they wouldn't be selling them. If you were to write down every one of those tickets and look in those seats in November, I would just about guarantee that more than 90% of them will be occupied by someone wearing red.
Is all of that "proof" that all of the alleged 13,000 tickets were sold to the dwags by crap Tech fans?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Is all of that "proof" that all of the alleged 13,000 tickets were sold to the dwags by crap Tech fans?
There are at least 13k tickets that were originally held by GT fans, that had mutt fans in the seats on game day. Perhaps that GT fans just donated their tickets to the mutt fans. I don't care if they profited or not, there were at least 13k GT fans that allowed the seats to be filled by people wearing red on gameday. I don't care if they sold them, gave them away, or left them on a street bench. GT fans should ensure that the stadium is gold, not red.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There are at least 13k tickets that were originally held by GT fans, that had mutt fans in the seats on game day. Perhaps that GT fans just donated their tickets to the mutt fans. I don't care if they profited or not, there were at least 13k GT fans that allowed the seats to be filled by people wearing red on gameday. I don't care if they sold them, gave them away, or left them on a street bench. GT fans should ensure that the stadium is gold, not red.
I respect your analysis, but there's a key assumption in your logic/math that may not be 100% valid. Again, I'm not trying to argue that a significant number of Tech fans don't sell their COFH tickets to mutt fans. They probably do. However, there's no reason to assume that the die-hard mutt fans don't continue to purchase season tickets in years that the game is in Athens, in order to maintain their seating priority, whether it's real or just perceived. So the 2000 ticket difference in alternate years is a data point, but it doesn't necessarily set an upper bound on the number of mutt fans regularly getting season tics.
As far as the club section is concerned, are you sure that a mutt fan isn't likely to have the points or whatever to get seats there? I was offered and purchased club season tickets in 2014 (what a year!) despite having no history of previously purchasing season tickets and being fairly low on the points scale. (yes, I admit I'm a relatively crummy fan by the standards of many).

The other aspect of this that is hard to wrap my head around is that a large number of Tech fans dedicated enough to have season tics would choose to sell for them for COFH, especially knowing they are likely to go to a mutt. I know it must happen some, but as I stated, I'm only an "average" Tech fan who doesn't purchase season tickets every year, but if I did, I would never under any realistic circumstances consider selling the COFH game to a non-Tech fan. Maybe that's just me.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I respect your analysis, but there's a key assumption in your logic/math that may not be 100% valid. Again, I'm not trying to argue that a significant number of Tech fans don't sell their COFH tickets to mutt fans. They probably do. However, there's no reason to assume that the die-hard mutt fans don't continue to purchase season tickets in years that the game is in Athens, in order to maintain their seating priority, whether it's real or just perceived. So the 2000 ticket difference in alternate years is a data point, but it doesn't necessarily set an upper bound on the number of mutt fans regularly getting season tics.
As far as the club section is concerned, are you sure that a mutt fan isn't likely to have the points or whatever to get seats there? I was offered and purchased club season tickets in 2014 (what a year!) despite having no history of previously purchasing season tickets and being fairly low on the points scale. (yes, I admit I'm a relatively crummy fan by the standards of many).

The other aspect of this that is hard to wrap my head around is that a large number of Tech fans dedicated enough to have season tics would choose to sell for them for COFH, especially knowing they are likely to go to a mutt. I know it must happen some, but as I stated, I'm only an "average" Tech fan who doesn't purchase season tickets every year, but if I did, I would never under any realistic circumstances consider selling the COFH game to a non-Tech fan. Maybe that's just me.
There are already a lot of tickets on StubHub for that game. Those can't be mutt fans who but season tickets only for that game. If they purchased season tickets only for that game, that would be the only game they wouldn't sell.

People are there in those seats in gold(or white or navy) during other games, but during the mutt game those seats have red. Sometimes the easiest most logical answer is correct. I don't understand the need to try and think of alternatives, or simply state that there has to be some other explanation.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
There are already a lot of tickets on StubHub for that game. Those can't be mutt fans who but season tickets only for that game. If they purchased season tickets only for that game, that would be the only game they wouldn't sell.

People are there in those seats in gold(or white or navy) during other games, but during the mutt game those seats have red. Sometimes the easiest most logical answer is correct. I don't understand the need to try and think of alternatives, or simply state that there has to be some other explanation.
Maybe the easiest explanation is they are ticket brokers.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
All I can tell you is I have been a season ticket holder since 1981 and I know most around me who are season ticket holders and about 30% sale their tickets to uga fans or bring them with them. The rest of us don't talk to them , Are all the uga fans getting tickets from season ticket holder, no. But at a game against anybody else we only have on avg 50,000 fans so that leave 5,000 anyone can pick up. Sad as it is yes Tech fans do sale their tickets to uga fans.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I am a former season ticket holder who gave them up when I moved out of state. When I lived in Ga. I used to attend the game every year, even when it was in Athens. I always felt more optimistic playing them over there than in Atlanta. We seemed to be cursed at home against them even in the few years when we are equal to or better than them. Perhaps our performance in BDS against them enters into the equation for people selling them?? Let me reiterate that I never did, just tossing out a theory.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
All I can tell you is I have been a season ticket holder since 1981 and I know most around me who are season ticket holders and about 30% sale their tickets to uga fans or bring them with them. The rest of us don't talk to them , Are all the uga fans getting tickets from season ticket holder, no. But at a game against anybody else we only have on avg 50,000 fans so that leave 5,000 anyone can pick up. Sad as it is yes Tech fans do sale their tickets to uga fans.
Well, I defer to your personal experience re: the 30%, which if it held throughout the stadium would easily explain 10-15k seats going to mutts. Still, that's disgusting. Hard to understand why so many who have already made the investment in season tics would sell what is arguably the biggest game of the year in order to recoup a few bucks. If I couldn't make the game for whatever reason, and couldn't ensure that my seats would be occupied by Tech fans, I'd rather them be left vacant.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
....... Hard to understand why so many who have already made the investment in season tics would sell what is arguably the biggest game of the year in order to recoup a few bucks. If I couldn't make the game for whatever reason, and couldn't ensure that my seats would be occupied by Tech fans, I'd rather them be left vacant.
I feel the same way. I can list a few reasons that people might want to sell their tickets. (I do not agree with and do not endorse these ... at least as reasons to sell the tickets)

• They can get half-to-full price of their season tickets by selling this one game.
  • They don't believe there is a chance of winning and don't want to be around a loss.
  • There are ALWAYS some mutt fans at the game who are extremely obnoxious, which reduces enjoyment at the game. (Not just sports fan rivalry obnoxious, but to the point that people really, actually, not joking, want to do them extreme bodily harm.)
My opinion of those reasons:

• If I didn't want to pay the price for the season tickets, I just wouldn't buy them.
  • I never believe that we can't win a game. Odds might be against us in some games, but there is always a chance.
  • I have been around some of those mutt fans, and they can reduce enjoyment of the game. However, if I don't sell my tickets it reduces the chance that the season ticket holders around me are going to have to put up with them. If others acted the same way, then they wouldn't be around me either.