Already looking to next year

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I am of the opinion that so goes Lee....so goes Tech.If he improves on reads and throws then we will be better ..if not then another seven and five.If we can get some DL folks ready to stop the run I think we will improve also but we need some big uns to match up with the big uns.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lee looks like he is running in quick sand now. Looks scared to take a hit. Doesn't know when to tuck the ball or pitch it half the time. He just seems to be playing scared to me. I believe if Washington was our Qb still we would have won that game yesterday with his decision making. I hope in time Lee will make better decisions. Thomas just has to much speed and elusiveness to not be playing somewhere. Alabama wanted him because he is a playmaker.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
This year the times I have seen Vad it seems he is thinking every play what to do......go from step A to B etc rather than read the DE and go with it.I am hoping he can get better but yesterday he was so inconsistent with his throws yet will say when he threw the bomb it was a thing of beauty.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Getting frustrated just thinking about GTFB. Only progress I see for next season is that our OLine will probably be the biggest, most talented unit since '06 and pretty much everyone on our schedule will be breaking in new QBs. The regression of CPJ as a play caller and HC is mind-boggling. It seems CPJ was trying get fired yesterday.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ibeeballin, why is our play calling gotten so vanilla except for a crazy trick every now and then? Lack of talent or loss of Jeff monken?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I don't know what everyone see in JT because I sure don't see anything. I would rather the kid move positions preferably aback.

Yes, I agree. JT showed very little at QB. Perhaps he suffered the same OLine flu that befell Vad but JT just didn't look like he could unseat Vad.

JT needs to be on the field as an Aback if PJ won't create a slot receiver position for him.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thomas never got enough playing time in my opinion to see what he's got. All I've heard from Johnson is that he is special.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I think Vad Lee would have been a good College quarterback in a standard offensive system of equal pass and run, or a run and shoot type of offense. However, he is being asked to be the square peg in a round hole. It is not his fault.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ibeeballin, why is our play calling gotten so vanilla except for a crazy trick every now and then? Lack of talent or loss of Jeff monken?

I'll tell u what it is and its this simple. Its a lack of scheming to the talent you have vs forcing a base scheme down their throats. If anyone cares to debate this lets. Because this line looks fine in drive blocks but sucks at cutting. Yet lets cut more. Vad looks ok in a groove passing out of gun hut lets run more counter option. When u r an old dog with one trick its all u know and u keep doin it when the chips are down.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree the cutting crap just doesn't work like it did. Teams practice for it so much now our players can't effectively make them anymore against good athletes. Maybe they eventually make them illegal it might actually benefit us. We come out with this cool diamond formation beginning of the year and totally scrap it. Coach is just to set in his ways!

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree the cutting crap just doesn't work like it did. Teams practice for it so much now our players can't effectively make them anymore against good athletes. Maybe they eventually make them illegal it might actually benefit us. We come out with this cool diamond formation beginning of the year and totally scrap it. Coach is just to set in his ways!

Yes because suddenly changing formation will suddenly solve all of our problems. Vad will throw like Aaron Rodger while running like Peterson. All of our running backs will run like Lynch and our receivers will act like Calvin...

Seriously. Changing the formation isn't going to make us block/catch/pass any better. About the only thing it would do is limit our ability to pass/run, and change the position that Vad starts in.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you the reason Navy's quarterbacks look more effective is that they are usually going up against lower level competition than Tech faces. I know there are exceptions to that but follow my logic. If you noticed in the Navy bowl game the QB kept the ball many times and took a lot of hits. Now he is a pretty tough man and only had to sit out a few plays when he got his eye poked. When Navy plays Norte Dame they usually go through couple of quarterbacks to finish the game.

Regarding Justin, he is just too small to take the punishment. He could hold up against a Elon or Duke, maybe even Virginia type of defense but the tougher defenses like UGA, Va Tech, Miami and Clemson would put him out of the game after a series or two. He is quick but he is not elusive. I hope we find something for him to do, even if it is on defense. Unfortunately, it looks like he will be standing on the sideline for the next two years minimum unless Vad gets injured or the new kid comes in and is better than Vad. In a way we have either wasted a year of Justin's eligibility or the fact is he is just not good enough to be on the field full time.

Go Jackets!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
agreed, and next year i am not sure we win more than 6

paul does have scheme problems. You can't ask a BB to one on one block a DE over and over, yet we do. its not in the cards. That is a scheme issue. This is not picking up a blitzing LB. This is sliding the line and asking the BB to pick up the blindside DE. LOL WTF??? I have never seen that done over and over like we do. WOW.

YEP.
Basically, I don't think you can have a good consistent pass attack out of PJ's TO. Look at last SIX yrs.ONE time we were over 50% comp rate.PLEEZE!The scheme does not not work on passing well enough--er,also without passing the run game can be stopped--see VT game etc.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I can tell you the reason Navy's quarterbacks look more effective is that they are usually going up against lower level competition than Tech faces. I know there are exceptions to that but follow my logic. If you noticed in the Navy bowl game the QB kept the ball many times and took a lot of hits. Now he is a pretty tough man and only had to sit out a few plays when he got his eye poked. When Navy plays Norte Dame they usually go through couple of quarterbacks to finish the game.

Regarding Justin, he is just too small to take the punishment. He could hold up against a Elon or Duke, maybe even Virginia type of defense but the tougher defenses like UGA, Va Tech, Miami and Clemson would put him out of the game after a series or two. He is quick but he is not elusive. I hope we find something for him to do, even if it is on defense. Unfortunately, it looks like he will be standing on the sideline for the next two years minimum unless Vad gets injured or the new kid comes in and is better than Vad. In a way we have either wasted a year of Justin's eligibility or the fact is he is just not good enough to be on the field full time.

Go Jackets!

I think that is just made that up...would love to see support of that theory.

From what I gather

In 2013 Reynolds took all the QB snaps
in 2012 The starting QB took all the snaps until the backup came in due it being a blowout
in 2011 Starting QB took all snaps until the end when it was a blowout
in 2010 Dobbs took all the snaps
in 2009 Dobbs took all the snaps

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
To add one more thing about the Navy QBs, I don't recall a fr or soph ever being the starting QB for Navy since CPJ went there and subsequent to his leaving.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Jerry,

I think Justin would do ok. He is not that much smaller than Tevin. I think we will have a full on battle this year for QB