All-time team

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Since we have similar threads in the football and basketball forums, I thought I would create a thread for the baseball team. I want to know who your all-time players are for Tech at each position. Give me 3 starters for the weekend rotation and a closer. I also want to add the caveat that it has to be a player that you have seen in person so this limits me to about the 2002 team to present because I was too young to remember teams before that.

Rotation: Deck McGuire, Buck Farmer, and Connor Thomas

Closer: Matthew Gorst

1B: Tony Plagman, 2B: Thomas Smith, SS: Connor Justus, 3B: Matt Skole, LF: Steven Blackwood, CF: Kyle Wren, RF: Daniel Palka, C: Matt Wieters, DH: Tristin English

CF and SS were the two hardest positions for me because we have had so many great players at those spots. I was torn between Wren, Payne, and Rowland in CF. Then at SS, I was thinking about Fischer, Dietrich, Waddell, and Justus.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good thread @THWG ... & your "conditions" made it more fun. Limited me to late 1980s & 2011+
I never saw Tech in person after getting out until 2011.

SP: Doug Creek
SP: Buck Farmer
SP: Connor Thomas
Closer: Jim Poole

C: Joey Bart
1B: Tristin English
2B: Ty Griffin
SS: Luke Waddell
3B: Frank Bolick
OF: Riccardo Ingram
OF: Darren Bragg
OF: Daniel Palka
DH: Jake Davies

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
SP- Kevin Brown, Al Gogolin, Deck McGuire.
Closer- Jim Poole.

C- Jason Veritek.
DH- Joey Bart.
1B- Micah Owings.
2B- Ty Griffin.
SS- Nomar Garciaparra.
3B- Mark Teixeira.
LF- Jay Payton.
CF- Mark Fisher.
RF- JJ Thomas.

Best Athlete- Riccardo Ingram.
Versatile- Dereck Dietrich.
Power- Matt Murton. Daniel Palka.
Crafty Lefties- Doug Creek. Corey Vance.
Unheralded- Darren Bragg. Brad Rigby.
Surprising MLB superstars- Charlie Blackmon. Buck Farmer(best is forthcoming).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I watched Randy Carroll play 2B as a youth. There are too many, to list them all.
Looking back at some of the other selections, it feels negligent not to mention them.
The sleeper players like: Bolick, Blackwood, English, Plagman, Rowland, James Smith, Davies, Connor Thomas, Thomas Smith, Skole, Gorst, Waddell, Justuce.

Who are the guys that went pro. w/out playing at GT?
A few that “strike” me first are Adam Wainwright and Jake Skole.
Help me out. Who was the pitcher that gave us 1m. $, even though he went to Tampa Bay? as a top pick? Was it Matt White? A 3B who signed with the Mets? Wasn’t he out of a Va. H.S.?
Gosh, I feel old thinking about the Jim Luck era!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I watched Randy Carroll play 2B as a youth. There are too many, to list them all.
Looking back at some of the other selections, it feels negligent not to mention them.
The sleeper players like: Bolick, Blackwood, English, Plagman, Rowland, James Smith, Davies, Connor Thomas, Thomas Smith, Skole, Gorst, Waddell, Justuce.

Help me out. Who was the pitcher that gave us 1m. $, even though he went to Tampa Bay? as a top pick? Was it Matt White? A 3B who signed with the Mets? Wasn’t he out of a Va. H.S.?
David Wright was supposed to come to Tech

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Pitchers with strong arms playing QB in H.S., & G.T., who counted against Football(schollie-wise)and I don’t remember them playing College Baseball: Goose Godsey(1B, also), Jim Gallagher, Kris Wilson.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Kris Wilson did actually pitch a few seasons. My bad!
More left out:
Eric Patterson, Mark Pisciotta, Dave Elder, Scot Jordan, Kevin Cameron, Tyler Greene, Blake Wood, Branden Cumpton, Mike Nickeas, Jed Bradley, Jason Perry, Luke Bard, Frank Esche.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Matt Gonzalez is probably one of the most underrated players in Tech history. That dude could literally do everything on the baseball field and was just a solid all around player.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
David Wright was supposed to come to Tech
Thank you! That’s the guy that escaped my mind.

I will never forget David Wright. Was signed to take over 3B from Tex, after Tex was drafted #5 overall, while I was a grad student at Tech. My Mets drafted Wright in the supplemental part of the first round, which was bittersweet as I wanted to see him come to Tech. However, he ended up as the best 3B to play for the Mets in their history. Was on a Hall of Fame path until back injuries limited his career. He was a great ballplayer, but an even better person based on what he has done to give back to society. Exactly the type of player Tech Baseball should be recruiting.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I will never forget David Wright. Was signed to take over 3B from Tex, after Tex was drafted #5 overall, while I was a grad student at Tech. My Mets drafted Wright in the supplemental part of the first round, which was bittersweet as I wanted to see him come to Tech. However, he ended up as the best 3B to play for the Mets in their history. Was on a Hall of Fame path until back injuries limited his career. He was a great ballplayer, but an even better person based on what he has done to give back to society. Exactly the type of player Tech Baseball should be recruiting.
I always liked David Wright, even as a Braves fan. He was just one of those guys that loved playing baseball and played it the right way (no pun intended).

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

I believe Bruce Chen was also someone who attended Tech and played in the majors without playing baseball for Tech.