1st willie clay
1st burnett
1st k swilling
1st travares tillman
2nd landry
2nd Bessillou
2nd k scott
2nd ricardo ingram

wow-don't even think of a def without Randy Rhino-maybe the best on DEf in history--THREE time AA

GTFLETCH

Banned
QB - Joe Hamilton & Shawn Jones
RB - Robert Lavette & John Dywer
WR - Calvin Johnson & Kelly Campbell
TE - Ken Whisenhunt
Flex - Tashard Choice
PK- Harrison Butker

Defense - 1990

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They were #2 nationally overall I believe plus did not give up a passing TD all yr. Different time but still --TUFFFFF!
Michigan State was number one in the AP poll with a 9-0 record and did not, for some reason, go to a bowl. Tech was awarded a national championship by some news outfit. May have been UPI. I am pretty sure that had Tech played the Spartans Tech would have won. They defeated a number 7 ranked Ole Miss team 24-7 in the Sugar Bowl and defeated a top ten ranked Duke team as well. A game that memorably ended in a huge bench clearing brawl in Durham. Tech won that contest of unbeatens going away.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Michigan State was number one in the AP poll with a 9-0 record and did not, for some reason, go to a bowl. Tech was awarded a national championship by some news outfit. May have been UPI. I am pretty sure that had Tech played the Spartans Tech would have won. They defeated a number 7 ranked Ole Miss team 24-7 in the Sugar Bowl and defeated a top ten ranked Duke team as well. A game that memorably ended in a huge bench clearing brawl in Durham. Tech won that contest of unbeatens going away.

Quoting Wikipedia, "The Michigan State Spartans had joined the Big Ten in 1950, but did not play a full schedule until 1953."

Thus the Spartans were a BigInteger team in 1952, but ineligible for a bowl by the conference rules. And there were only 5 big time bowls in 1952: Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange & Gator.

TV & $$$$ changed all that for the BigInteger.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Quoting Wikipedia, "The Michigan State Spartans had joined the Big Ten in 1950, but did not play a full schedule until 1953."

Thus the Spartans were a BigInteger team in 1952, but ineligible for a bowl by the conference rules. And there were only 5 big time bowls in 1952: Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange & Gator.

Hard to believe they were not in the "Big Integer" before 1950. Was it called the Big Ten back then I wonder or was that after the Spartans joined to make it "Ten"?

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Hard to believe they were not in the "Big Integer" before 1950. Was it called the Big Ten back then I wonder or was that after the Spartans joined to make it "Ten"?

Michigan State made it the Big Ten..... It had been the Big Nine. And this MSU, similar to the one in Mississippi in StarkVegas, was for all intents & purposes Michigan A&M.

Useless trivia name changes:
1950: Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science
1955: Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science
1965: Michigan State University

Ain't Wikipedia great!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The other news service was the INS. It was a premier news service for decades, but had started to lose ground to UP/AP by the early '50s. (It merged with UP to become UPI in 1958.) Several other services/rating agencies also tapped the Jackets, including what became Sagarin. Tech's title for 1952 is valid.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Michigan State made it the Big Ten..... It had been the Big Nine. And this MSU, similar to the one in Mississippi in StarkVegas, was for all intents & purposes Michigan A&M.

Useless trivia name changes:
1950: Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science
1955: Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science
1965: Michigan State University

Ain't Wikipedia great!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

OK, it is great because I found that the Spartans actually had a pretty good claim. They had gone undefeated two years in a row. 1949 and 1950. They beat three ranked teams, same as Tech. Penn State was 17th, Notre Dame was in the top ten and I forget the other one, may have been Purdue. Tech also defeated three ranked teams: Alabama was undefeated and ranked in the top ten, as was Ole Miss who Tech beat 24-7 in the Sugar Bowl. However, what makes Tech's claim perhaps a little bit better than Michigan State is that we beat an unbeaten #6 ranked Duke team in Durham in a battle of unbeatens both teams about 6-0 at the time. That game ended memorably in a bench clearing brawl after Tech won 28-7. To my mind beating a 6th ranked team at their place as soundly as we did tops every claim the Spartans can make. My dad had a class with All American guard Pete Brown. Dad said he was not only the smartest guy in the room but he had a presence that you could feel without him saying a word. This was a very serious man. My dad did not have a class with the All American end, Buck _______ can't recall his last name but saw him often. He was big for the time and could really run. Dad said he walked with the easy grace of athlete. Many people thought he was the best athlete on the team. Dad also said that the reason that team was so good, besides having 6 All Americans which always helps, was the team speed. It was very hard if not impossible to get a big play on them. All American back Bobby Moorhead could run down just about anyone that ever got loose.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
My dad had a class with All American guard Pete Brown. Dad said he was not only the smartest guy in the room but he had a presence that you could feel without him saying a word. This was a very serious man. My dad did not have a class with the All American end, Buck _______ can't recall his last name but saw him often. He was big for the time and could really run. Dad said he walked with the easy grace of athlete. Many people thought he was the best athlete on the team. Dad also said that the reason that team was so good, besides having 6 All Americans which always helps, was the team speed. It was very hard if not impossible to get a big play on them. All American back Bobby Moorhead could run down just about anyone that ever got loose.

Pete Brown was a nice guy, always seemed to be running for Mayor of Chattanooga, but a nice guy nevertheless.

Buck Martin is the other name you wanted.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I may be wrong, but I think they had ten teams in the Big 10, but the University of Chicago dropped out of the league I believe after WWII. Wasn't the first Heisman Trophy winner from the University of Chicago?

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I may be wrong, but I think they had ten teams in the Big 10, but the University of Chicago dropped out of the league I believe after WWII. Wasn't the first Heisman Trophy winner from the University of Chicago?

Yes, Jay Berwanger was from there, but they dropped football in '39 & got out all together in '46. So indeed, the conference was the Big Nine (and is referenced that way) up til MSC A&S joined in 1950.

Former member
Institution Location Founded Joined Left Type Enrollment Nickname Colors Current Conference
University of Chicago Chicago, Illinois 1890 1896 1946 Private 16,016 Maroons University Athletic Association (NCAA Division III)
  • The University of Chicago was a co-founder of the conference. The school dropped football in 1939, but remained a member in other sports until the end of the 1945–46 academic year.[8]
And just in case you want to go further down that rabbit hole...
Lake Forest College attended the original 1895 meeting that led to the formation of the conference, but never participated in athletics or any other activities.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pete Brown was a nice guy, always seemed to be running for Mayor of Chattanooga, but a nice guy nevertheless.

Buck Martin is the other name you wanted.

Yep. That's him. Vince Dooley was playing safety for Auburn at that time. He said that Buck Martin ran over him three times to score touchdowns. Jay Berwanger refused to turn pro but then pro ball wasn't what it is today.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, Jay Berwanger was from there, but they dropped football in '39 & got out all together in '46. So indeed, the conference was the Big Nine (and is referenced that way) up til MSC A&S joined in 1950.

Former member
Institution Location Founded Joined Left Type Enrollment Nickname Colors Current Conference
University of Chicago Chicago, Illinois 1890 1896 1946 Private 16,016 Maroons University Athletic Association (NCAA Division III)
  • The University of Chicago was a co-founder of the conference. The school dropped football in 1939, but remained a member in other sports until the end of the 1945–46 academic year.[8]
And just in case you want to go further down that rabbit hole...
Lake Forest College attended the original 1895 meeting that led to the formation of the conference, but never participated in athletics or any other activities.
My understanding behind the history - UC had a decent football program, but a university president came in and shut the whole thing down. He didn't like sports / football, didn't like the image. I suppose that's easy to do when you John Rockefeller writes you checks.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep. That's him. Vince Dooley was playing safety for Auburn at that time. He said that Buck Martin ran over him three times to score touchdowns. Jay Berwanger refused to turn pro but then pro ball wasn't what it is today.
Speaking of choosing not to go pro and how the NFL was different, my Father-in-Law was drafted in 1955 by the Bears and was offered $4,600.00 contract as a offensive guard. Average pay for NFL was just $6k . He told me that his body stayed healthy, he slept every night in his own bed and played with his kids every day. Became a teacher/coach and worked at a truck line on the weekends to make the same money.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

They competed as an independent and had several games inside the bakery. One came against one win Oregon State that had MSU on the ropes until a last minute field goal. Whereas Tech's closest game was against a top ten Alabama that hung 60 on a highly ranked Syracuse team. MSU couldn't go bowling because of NCAA probation.