All, thanks for the good times, and this will be a fun experiment

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, this will be DOUBLE fun, as an experiment.

1) Were Georgia Tech's recruiting limitations largely due to Paul Johnson, or largely due to structural issues. If, in 4 years, you are a) consistently recruiting at a high level, and b) retaining guys through their entire careers, then the problem was Johnson, and all talk about academics was hogwash and excuse making.

2) Is it x's and o's, or jimmies and joes? What is better for georgia tech, a guy who runs a unique system, mitigating the need to try to recruit the same guys everybody else does OR a guy who runs the same thing everybody else does, and tries to out-recruit everybody else.

I shall return next year for UVa game, and we'll chitchat then.

I will say I don't think any determinations can possibly be made for at least 3 years, one way or the other. When your coach has his guys throughout the depth chart, as upper classmen, we can start to see who was right, and who was wrong :)

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

1) Were Georgia Tech's recruiting limitations largely due to Paul Johnson, or largely due to structural issues. If, in 4 years, you are a) consistently recruiting at a high level, and b) retaining guys through their entire careers, then the problem was Johnson, and all talk about academics was hogwash and excuse making.

2) Is it x's and o's, or jimmies and joes? What is better for georgia tech, a guy who runs a unique system, mitigating the need to try to recruit the same guys everybody else does OR a guy who runs the same thing everybody else does, and tries to out-recruit everybody else.

I will say I don't think any determinations can possibly be made for at least 3 years, one way or the other. When your coach has his guys throughout the depth chart, as upper classmen, we can start to see who was right, and who was wrong :)

We will miss your insight here ILTO and it has always been an education to read your posts. Would that all opponents posters were as knowledgeable and personable as you have been.

I think that we will know in less than 3 years whether the new approach of (hopefully) improving the recruiting and trying to do the same thing as everyone else out there will work. Doesn't seem to be a reasonable plan to me, but I'm not a mega booster who wants to win on recruiting day either. I think we will struggle without some different system that gives us an advantage and CPJ definitely did that.

Take care and I look forward to your perspective on our progress next season.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Will miss your posts my friend!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I have long maintained that the reason you guys didn't compete for 4 and 5 star recruits under CPJ had more to do with GT than it did CPJ. I maintained that your academic situation made long term high level recruiting untenable, and that doing things the same way as UGA was unlikely to lead to success vis a vis UGA.

It looks like we'll be finding this out in a live experiment. FUN!

My hoos will have my undivided attention for the time being, but I wanted to say the last decade has been a real blast with you guys, and I genuinely hope you find your offense as fun as I will likely find it boring :)

Also, last but not least, big shout out to @PBR549 .

Turns out he was right and I was wrong; CPJ WAS gone within 2 years of canning Ted Roof. You get the last laugh, my friend :)

I'm definitely not laughing. I'm going to miss the wishbone (it's what I love) and CPJ. I want nothing but the best for my Jackets and will continue to root like heck for Coach Collins. I want to believe we will be able to compete for recruits with UGA but I can't believe it will happen. We've had coaches who ran a pro-style offense before like Coach Gailey who I respect greatly as a coach and a person. We've had great recruiters like Ted Roof who like I've said before is the best recruiter I've ever worked with or against.

I take no pleasure in being right about the situation and I continue to believe we can compete in certain years on the field. However, unless something changes academically we won't be able to compete with the top teams on a year to year basis.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm definitely not laughing. I'm going to miss the wishbone (it's what I love) and CPJ. I want nothing but the best for my Jackets and will continue to root like heck for Coach Collins. I want to believe we will be able to compete for recruits with UGA but I can't believe it will happen. We've had coaches who ran a pro-style offense before like Coach Gailey who I respect greatly as a coach and a person. We've had great recruiters like Ted Roof who like I've said before is the best recruiter I've ever worked with or against.

I take no pleasure in being right about the situation and I continue to believe we can compete in certain years on the field. However, unless something changes academically we won't be able to compete with the top teams on a year to year basis.
Agree, and will add, I think the academic environment and also the under-the-table pay-for-play environment will both have to change for GT to win "National Signing Day" championships. (or we'll have to cheat)

Animal02

Banned
Agree, and will add, I think the academic environment and also the under-the-table pay-for-play environment will both have to change for GT to win "National Signing Day" championships. (or we'll have to cheat)
The only way the under the table stuff stops is if the NFL crashes as a career choice. ( The keep shooting themselves in the foot) AND the NCAA gets super serious about stopping it....but the you would have the SEC and a few other select schools just drop the NCAA and form their own organization

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

And I would add resources to hire a better and larger recruiting staff