all signed players from 2008-2015:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This thread is my conceived reason for Tech being a razor edged season of losses and wins. The razor edged situations such as balls hitting off helments, very timely penalties, fumbles, interceptions, and rain. my own classified number of these players by great-good-average-below average. Compiled by what I conceived as contribution on the field and the btm if they did not play while on roster,transferred, or played but only achieved the ranking. No names given out unless you want to know the great ones. You should by reading this understand why I call our seasons a razors edge meaning wins and losses are USUALLY by balls bouncing off helmets, a timely costly penalty, a fumble, an interception, or a bad punt, field goal attempt or whatever else that can be a razor edge incident. The reason is my overall compilation of the signees. Coaches, administration, facilities, small fan base can all be in this reasoning. So here it is my classification which includes the years of 2008-2015. GREAT players=8 good=21 average = 39 below average= 94

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This thread is my conceived reason for Tech being a razor edged season of losses and wins. The razor edged situations such as balls hitting off helments, very timely penalties, fumbles, interceptions, and rain. my own classified number of these players by great-good-average-below average. Compiled by what I conceived as contribution on the field and the btm if they did not play while on roster,transferred, or played but only achieved the ranking. No names given out unless you want to know the great ones. You should by reading this understand why I call our seasons a razors edge meaning wins and losses are USUALLY by balls bouncing off helmets, a timely costly penalty, a fumble, an interception, or a bad punt, field goal attempt or whatever else that can be a razor edge incident. The reason is my overall compilation of the signees. Coaches, administration, facilities, small fan base can all be in this reasoning. So here it is my classification which includes the years of 2008-2015. GREAT players=8 good=21 average = 39 below average= 94

IF IF I understand this and the numbers--it looks fairly damning

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
*******Yes it is! CPJ makes the most of what he's got! It's just playing on the edge! I blame the ncaa and the administration for the recruiting dis advantage which that leads us to razor's edge. The ncaa a few years ago changed the progession toward the degree which made things a lot tougher. the adst. hurts us also in similar ways. The AD after Doug Weaver was horrible in that he hired a lady to be in charge of the athletes education. + other things he let happen. For insatnce telling C. Gailey that person had all that she looking after it. I cannot grade the class of 2016-2019 yet because way too early, but I will say the 2019 could easily go in any direction!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
**************I want to apologize for very crude and poor grammar on this thread! I hardly ever proof read what I write because usually it is a waste of my time. From now on I will do that unthinkable! So please if you need clarification or explain what I am thinking feel absolutely free to ask me!! Thank you if you read this and except my forgiveness!!!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hardly ever proof read what I write because usually it is a waste of my time. From now on I will do that unthinkable!

Thank you if you read this and except my forgiveness!!!

until your pledge to proofread becomes implemented, the word you are looking for in the last sentence is "accept" rather than "except".

Sorry, could not resist.;):D

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Ah, yes, classifying players using no discernible objective criteria. I have so many questions. Is this at all related to their expected performance- i.e. does this assume a two star who started for his senior season probably overachieved, or the four star who started sporadically underachieved? Does it adjust for the value of the position - i.e. Tevin Washington may not have been a star, but was probably more valuable than, say, Orwin Smith? Does it consider whether the player was injured, or perhaps playing out of position? Does it consider whether a player who was almost as good as the starter but was blocked for a number of seasons had his value capped, but not his talent?

Mostly, my point is that this is silly because it’s arbitrary. Listing players without reasons is an exercise in futility.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Ah, yes, classifying players using no discernible objective criteria. I have so many questions. Is this at all related to their expected performance- i.e. does this assume a two star who started for his senior season probably overachieved, or the four star who started sporadically underachieved? Does it adjust for the value of the position - i.e. Tevin Washington may not have been a star, but was probably more valuable than, say, Orwin Smith? Does it consider whether the player was injured, or perhaps playing out of position? Does it consider whether a player who was almost as good as the starter but was blocked for a number of seasons had his value capped, but not his talent?

Mostly, my point is that this is silly because it’s arbitrary. Listing players without reasons is an exercise in futility.
I'm talking about players being classified in 4 groupin

The classification speaks for itself while it is pointing to not only the Tech team, but also comparing to all teams that we play against!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I'm talking about players being classified in 4 groupin

The classification speaks for itself while it is pointing to not only the Tech team, but also comparing to all teams that we play against!
Here’s my issue. Is, say, Erin Joe below average? If so, why? There’s no reasoning given for the classification, so it’s basically just your own memory of a given player, which is a . . . suboptimal way of doing this.