All ACC Teams 2019-20

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Moses not in the top cluster of most improved is wild.

I haven't seen the voting, but Garrison Brooks won it, followed by Devin Vassell, Olivier Sarr, and Buddy Boeheim, per Packer & Durham.

ETA: Here's the full voting and Moses wasn't close, which is kinda bunk. Devoe got honorable mention.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO Brooks deserved the award and ran away with it the last couple of weeks.

What is really strange to me is the love for Vassell. He improved a good bit but not to warrant the number of votes he got either for most improved nor second team All ACC. IMO the fact that FSU came in first really boosted him because they didn't have a true standout player.

The biggest thing though is Jose not being second team. He led the league in steals, was 8th in scoring, and 8th in assists, 6th in FG%, and the effect he had on the rest of the team was obvious based on the play from when he was out vs when he was healthy.

Deleted member 2897

The biggest thing though is Jose not being second team. He led the league in steals, was 8th in scoring, and 8th in assists, 6th in FG%, and the effect he had on the rest of the team was obvious based on the play from when he was out vs when he was healthy.

And there it is - if you're top 10 in the main scoring categories, then you should be in the top 1-2 teams in all conference voting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First off Congrats to Jose, Mike and James.

FWIW, in my rankings I have Jose as the #6 player in the ACC and Devoe #13. They are based only on production in ACC games.
Top 15 were
Jones - Duke
Anthony - UNC
Brooks - UNC
Childress - Wake
Johnson - NCST
Alvarado - GT
Hughes - Syr
Mooney - ND
Carey - Duke
Clark - UVA
Johnson - Pitt
Forrest - FSU
Devoe - GT
Gibbs - ND
Hubb- ND

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Congrats to Jose and Banks. Both well deserved. Jose played as well as any PG in the ACC the last half of the season.

Man, have I said I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY excited about our backcourt next season?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I didn’t react on this news immediately because I wanted to respond devoid of the frustrations and annoyance I current feel towards the NCAA generally, including the ACC and associated media for not torching the whole corrupt systems and laying it bare for all to see.

Now, after some calm reflecting I can confidently say my attitude on this is approaching GT Basketball Zen[emoji769]:
“Fu•k em”

Nothing will give our boys more inspiration this off season than hearing Jose rallying the charge with: “they says we aren’t any good” ; “they say we don’t belong”; “let’s show them rat bastards who we are and aren’t”.

Hoping we may be seeing the awakening of this GT Giant we can return to being in both basketball and football. Things start rolling on either side and it feeds the swagger for the whole program. Time to go to work in recruiting for the coaches (with the cloud of postseason play removed and the STRONG finish to the season). Time to go to work in S&C for the team to improve and establish trust motion concepts, retool the defensive flex based on Banks’ departure.

Let’s get after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Complete list and order of voting in link below.
https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/tre-jones-vernon-carey-sweep-acc-awards

I have no objections to those at the top of the list in any of the categories. Once you get 1/2 or 2/3 the way down any of the lists you can debate should so and so have been a couple spots higher or lower. I would have had Jose and Devoe a few slots higher, but where they came in 12th and 17th respectively is not 'way off'.

Vassell in most improved category is the one I have the most issues with. He did have a great season. His numbers went up - but proportionally to his minutes ... scored 380 vs. 149 points when minutes played went from 353 to 863 .. roughly 2 1/2x more minutes and points ... and shooting percentages/etc while good did not skyrocket. I agree Brooks deserved most improved, and Sarr probably second ... can debate Boeheim vs Wright (I defer to Cuse but large part of Boeheim's improvement was due to increase in minutes). To me - most improved player should see minutes go up from previous year (in most cases), but stats/minute improvement is what is just as if not more important ... Moses improved considerably in that which is what we all saw.

Deleted member 2897

Complete list and order of voting in link below.
https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/tre-jones-vernon-carey-sweep-acc-awards

I have no objections to those at the top of the list in any of the categories. Once you get 1/2 or 2/3 the way down any of the lists you can debate should so and so have been a couple spots higher or lower. I would have had Jose and Devoe a few slots higher, but where they came in 12th and 17th respectively is not 'way off'.

Vassell in most improved category is the one I have the most issues with. He did have a great season. His numbers went up - but proportionally to his minutes ... scored 380 vs. 149 points when minutes played went from 353 to 863 .. roughly 2 1/2x more minutes and points ... and shooting percentages/etc while good did not skyrocket. I agree Brooks deserved most improved, and Sarr probably second ... can debate Boeheim vs Wright (I defer to Cuse but large part of Boeheim's improvement was due to increase in minutes). To me - most improved player should see minutes go up from previous year (in most cases), but stats/minute improvement is what is just as if not more important ... Moses improved considerably in that which is what we all saw.

EXACTLY. Are we talking about who improved the most as a basketball player, or are we talking about someone who played about the same but spent more time playing this year than last year?

I could be wrong, I don't think the intent of the award is "Most increased minutes award"

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm would have picked Wright, certainly ahead of Boeheim @glandon1960.

But a quick look at the stats at least justifies Brooks' selection as reasonable.

Brooks (per game)
  • Last year: 23 min, 7.9 pts, 5.6 reb, 1.3 ast
  • This year: 34.8 min, 16.7 pts, 8.8 reb, 2.0 ast
Wright (per game)
  • Last year: 18.5 min, 6.7 pts, 3.7 reb, .6 blk
  • This year: 30.4 min, 13 pts, 7 reb, 1.2 blk

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

But a quick look at the stats at least justifies Brooks' selection as reasonable.

Brooks (per game)
Wright (per game)

Bah humbug!

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Brooks (per game)
Wright (per game)
Can't be right as UNC had least gifted team Ol' Roy has ever coached.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

Brooks (per game)
Wright (per game)
Per 40 minutes, conference play only also looks reasonable:

Brooks
  • Last year: 11.8 pts, 9.1 reb, .7 blk
  • This year: 20.9 pts, 9.9 reb, .4 blk
Wright
  • Last year: 14.0 pts, 8.2 reb, 1.4 blk
  • This year: 17.1 pts, 8.7 reb, 1.5 blk
I thought Moses showed more improvement than this indicates, but this might reflect his improvement during last season, and that some of his better performances this year were non-conference?

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
First off Congrats to Jose, Mike and James.

FWIW, in my rankings I have Jose as the #6 player in the ACC and Devoe #13. They are based only on production in ACC games.
Top 15 were
Jones - Duke
Anthony - UNC
Brooks - UNC
Childress - Wake
Johnson - NCST
Alvarado - GT
Hughes - Syr
Mooney - ND
Carey - Duke
Clark - UVA
Johnson - Pitt
Forrest - FSU
Devoe - GT
Gibbs - ND
Hubb- ND
Thanks for posting! How the hell was UNC so bad with Brooks and Anthony in the top 3? I know injuries - but still.