Alcorn State

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Just a small look at Alcorn State University
The school that gave us "Air Mcnair"

Looks like the QB is quite an athlete. Im looking forward to seeing our defensive game plan against a QB of his caliber. He obviously wont be Watson from CU or Kaaya from Miami, but he put up some good numbers.

Lets get this season started!!

"Alcorn State, the defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champion, is the preseason favorite to win the league's Eastern Division while Grambling has been picked to win the West.

Alcorn State quarterback John Gibbs Jr. is the preseason offensive player of the year. Gibbs threw for 2,482 yards and 21 touchdowns last season while also running for 1,006 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Gibbs came to Alcorn State at the same time as fourth-year coach Jay Hopson. Together, they've helped the Braves rise from the bottom of the league to the program everyone is chasing. Alcorn State defeated Southern 38-24 for the SWAC championship last season"....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Predicted score: 59-12, 99.9% chance of win. From the site that predicts will win 8.4 games this year. http://atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

Regardless, I can unfortunately remember being on the other end of what seemed to be those odds in the '70s. No disrespect to Alcorn State but much bigger stronger and faster will usually win, especially the second half. Hope no one is hurt and they can go on to won their conference.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I'm just throwing up info on the opponent for a good read.
No disrespect to Alcorn State, I wasn't anticipating a loss.
I just wanted people to see we aren't playing Middle Yukon valley state as a season opener.
This will be a good, physical test for both teams.
They will try to come in and make a statement.

The 3rd can't get here fast enough.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ does a great job preparing the team mentally for these types of games. He says he's been on the other side where nobody give them a chance to win. But in reality, this is Alcorn's Orange Bowl. This is their chance to stick it to all those coaches that thought they weren't good enough. This is their chance to shock the world and be the next App State.

Alcorn is gonna come in fired up and believing they can win. Our job is to beat the hope right out of them in the first few minutes. That's why we might see a pass or an odd ball play right out of the gate. Or we might just decide bludgeon them to death slowly all the way down the field. The goal is to demoralize them and do it fast.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@AE 87 - are you okay? Did you have a medical emergency? You usually finish your thought.

LoL. My phone lost data connection. When I got it back, I posted without seeing that my whole message hadn't been saved either.

I know, "cool story bro"

Anyway, I was saying that we should learn pretty quickly something about our DL. If we can get pressure and keep contain on their QB, that's a step up from 2014 Wofford, imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know, "cool story bro"
Actually, I was thinking:

bigcry.gif

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
What I would hope to see is that our defense can show finally a taste of better athletes than a lesser team. I would hope with the better depth this year, their offense even with a good QB, can hardly get anything going. We should blow through their Oline and be causing havoc in the backfield most of the day. If we are not, then I sure hope things improve during the season.

bdsboy

Georgia Tech Fan
It looks like Alcorn rarely plays games against P5 teams. The only one their current players may have had experience in was against Mississippi State in 2013, which Alcorn State lost 51-7.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People who say we are a 99.9% chance to win don't watch a lot of college football. C'mon folks. Obviously, we are a clear favorite, but 99.9%? Do you really want to say, if we played 1000 times we would win 999? We need to show up ready. That is all I will say.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
People who say we are a 99.9% chance to win don't watch a lot of college football. C'mon folks. Obviously, we are a clear favorite, but 99.9%? Do you really want to say, if we played 1000 times we would win 999? We need to show up ready. That is all I will say.

I would say that, 999 of 1000. Maybe, 1 of 1000 that we don't show up ready enough.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I guess the "people" at Atomic who wrote the algorithms are saying 99.9%. After watching the game above, maybe 99.86%. (tic)

The rest of the season is no cake walk ....... http://atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

The first two weeks will be good scrimmages. If they are dog fights to the end, 8 wins will be tough.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Mid tenn state U comes to mind.....too recent for that!

LibertyTurns

Banned
The first two weeks will be good scrimmages. If they are dog fights to the end, 8 wins will be tough.
I don't remember the Team opening a can of whoopass at the beginning of last year and we had a ton more seniors returning on offense.

Personally, I hope the Team has the one game at a time approach they seemed to have last season. It didn't seem to matter what happened the previous week, that Team laced them up every week and got measurbly better as the season went along.

Nobody wanted a piece of us at the end of the season. Miss St drew the short straw for the bowl game. I'm sure they would have happily traded places with MSU even though publicly they were trying to convince themselves they got a good deal. It appeared the concerns they must have had behind closed doors became a reality by the 2nd quarter & they were lamenting their bad luck on the sidelines and later on at halftime in the locker room. You can argue that we were lucky to have drawn a weak SEC Team, but outside of maybe OSU and Oregon I believe it wouldn;t have made a difference.

Who could have predicted that outcome after lukewarm performances against Wofford & Tulane?