AJC's preseason Football depth chart

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
D is troubling IMO; and I won't even mention the DC and his scheme; I will just mention personnel concerns.

Up to now, Chungong has not been starting D1A material end; and he could not be beaten out. IMO this is a sign of things. I QUESTION IF THIS IS OUR BEST 5 ON THE DL. In fact I believe in not to be as I believe in 2014 to be proven right; will be interesting to see if this starting line up changes by game 4.
Kallon is an enigma, in all likelihood has improved but isn't going to blow up to become a force we need and probably is still a backup at alot of schools we compete with.

LB is thin to say the least; and has its own issues regarding things around talent match vs O sets, its just a thin position which concerns me for sure....

Def concerned about the CB spots....some are suited to play inside or s vs cb....S is ok actually. I like our 2 S alot. CG will hit you...and AJ is always there. But CB is the real concern for sure; i am ok with the NB; I just think field and boundary guys will have to be shelled alot over the top in 2 deep schemes, man free will be tough to run, I think Roof needs to run more 3deep this year which he doesn't do a ton of. He runs alot of shells and man free, man zone; I think he needs to disguise 3deep with man free more with this personnel....many reasons why but bottom line it just has to do with what I feel our skillsets are from last years tape.

freeman is a perfect end to drop more in creative blitz schemes...we never really do that. That is a miss IMO...hope to see that this year.

On O its the obvious thin OL that is most concerning. Second most is WR position that we need to separate ourselves....Backs look promising. If JT can get blocking he should be fine.

Overall, this roster is about like last years on a whole. Last years D roster was better than this years on a whole on paper. Last years OL should have been better. WR's are the same to me. Backs should be better this year, but OL may be about the same but thinner. So for me this is a comparable roster to last years on a 22 basis.

I expect D takes a step back. O takes a step fwd. But really this team will need a few break out players to make a jump. Lets hope that happens.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
D is troubling IMO; and I won't even mention the DC and his scheme; I will just mention personnel concerns.

Up to now, Chungong has not been starting D1A material end; and he could not be beaten out. IMO this is a sign of things. I QUESTION IF THIS IS OUR BEST 5 ON THE DL. In fact I believe in not to be as I believe in 2014 to be proven right; will be interesting to see if this starting line up changes by game 4.
Kallon is an enigma, in all likelihood has improved but isn't going to blow up to become a force we need and probably is still a backup at alot of schools we compete with.

LB is thin to say the least; and has its own issues regarding things around talent match vs O sets, its just a thin position which concerns me for sure....

Def concerned about the CB spots....some are suited to play inside or s vs cb....S is ok actually. I like our 2 S alot. CG will hit you...and AJ is always there. But CB is the real concern for sure; i am ok with the NB; I just think field and boundary guys will have to be shelled alot over the top in 2 deep schemes, man free will be tough to run, I think Roof needs to run more 3deep this year which he doesn't do a ton of. He runs alot of shells and man free, man zone; I think he needs to disguise 3deep with man free more with this personnel....many reasons why but bottom line it just has to do with what I feel our skillsets are from last years tape.

freeman is a perfect end to drop more in creative blitz schemes...we never really do that. That is a miss IMO...hope to see that this year.

On O its the obvious thin OL that is most concerning. Second most is WR position that we need to separate ourselves....Backs look promising. If JT can get blocking he should be fine.

Overall, this roster is about like last years on a whole. Last years D roster was better than this years on a whole on paper. Last years OL should have been better. WR's are the same to me. Backs should be better this year, but OL may be about the same but thinner. So for me this is a comparable roster to last years on a 22 basis.

I expect D takes a step back. O takes a step fwd. But really this team will need a few break out players to make a jump. Lets hope that happens.
If you would sit Roof down and explain this to him, I am certain all the D problems could be fixed before the BC game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

These depth charts can change so much by the time the season starts, So I'm not to worried at this point because cpj said this is prob the most depth on D he has ever had at GT. If we can just get a pass rush I think we will be ok, just remember there is a lot that could change by season start.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the Dline could actually be better than last year & there's depth.

I think LB will be young with the exception of PJ but maybe slightly more talented than last season.

Safety is an upgrade. Sorry

Corner is a down grade. Too much uncertainty and youth.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Most of our losses were by one score last year, we don't need a monumental upgrade to be better in record. We have an easier sched this year, too. Hell, an attitude adjustment alone will go a long way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Will be interesting if any freshman ending up cracking the Two Deep by the last week of August.

At least we've been tossed a bone to chew on until Practice starts back up in just over a week.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OL is thin, but I think it's at least on par with some/most of past OL. If coaches and players can be believed, much of our struggle last year was from missed assignments/ unheard line calls etc, not talent per se. If Griffin can play, gravy. I'm saying OL will be fine.

WR - we'll see. Should improve with 1st year players last yr coming back wiser.

DL - I'm in with big improvement here. CPJ said we've got 8 guys who can play. That doesn't make them allAmerkan, but comp will make them best they can be.

CB - young but athletic. Step and Lance got some minutes last year and held their own. I think we should be fine.

S - AJ + CG > JG+DS

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I tend to agree with you on a lot of this. I can also fathom the reasons for optimism mentioned by others.

One name not yet mentioned is Jordan Woods. While it's ridiculous to expect a true frosh summer enrollee to be a game changer at SDE, at the very least there is upside. Branch will probably be more ready game 1. We don't know what we have there either. Looking forward to seeing the competition between those 2 + RRC.

As to the rest, I'm probably more in your boat where I want to see it to believe it. But there are reasons we will potentially see it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

good thoughts
also-
I see Marshall taking OT Fromayer slot IF Griffin is not back, FR-Braun will definitely be in 2 deep and maybe starting sometime
If Mitchell can't beat out Alford we could have huge LB problems, I think Curry is a hidden asset that could move up at LB or NB
I too see problems at CB unless we can get a better rush somehow
St Amour might move over to SDE on 3rd down for better rush. he needs to play not sit behind Freeman

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
OL is thin, but I think it's at least on par with some/most of past OL. If coaches and players can be believed, much of our struggle last year was from missed assignments/ unheard line calls etc, not talent per se. If Griffin can play, gravy. I'm saying OL will be fine.

WR - we'll see. Should improve with 1st year players last yr coming back wiser.

DL - I'm in with big improvement here. CPJ said we've got 8 guys who can play. That doesn't make them allAmerkan, but comp will make them best they can be.

CB - young but athletic. Step and Lance got some minutes last year and held their own. I think we should be fine.

S - AJ + CG > JG+DS
I agree with all but last part. DS very underrated, JG had great instincts and film study.