AJC's preseason Football depth chart

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and Antonio Simmons did not participate. With him and Woods in the mix (and maybe Adams?) we at least have numbers to find a top 4 and good depth. The top end is the question mark. Hopefully depth + competition pushes us forward from what we had last year.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There is one area where I agree with 33 -- the defensive ends. The lack of a pass rush has just killed us in recent years. Maybe Ted will come up with some more creative blitzes, but the blitzes I have seen from him are predictable and not all that effective. Meaning we need badly to have a defensive end who is a holy terror to stay in front of. I like Freeman and Chungong, but both have played a lot of football for us and I haven't seen either progressing toward becoming that unblockable end we need Maybe this year one will. Or maybe one of the others will pass them. But I can't say I'm not worried about more of the same with our pass rush.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the OL and DL talent base has been increased and will be mixed with more experience. True freshman should struggle in D1 football unless you are really really special.

The O will be better because the young talent will know where to go. Brad and Scott should not be counted out. Mark my words, they will be ready when called on. Parker would be a great add for the year, but it is so hard fro a true freshman OL to really be better than an experienced OL. I think in the end we end up better on OL than many think. I sure hope I am right.

I love our 5 BBs (I hope M.A. can stay healthy). I wonder if Mills will get to redshirt, but I hope he is too good to keep off the field.

AB and WR don't give me a concern. We should be a mile better at AB now that many have at least a fall, spring, and a summer to learn. Football is a game of inches, and I think you will see some milage here.

I don't have a good read on the D. I do know that AJ Gray, Brant M., and PJ Davis are some really good players to build around. Kyle H., Glanton, Kalon, and Gamble are the big question marks as to how good the D will be... they will make or break the D with the pressure they can bring up the middle. I feel like we need to disguise our intentions better and 3rd down setups seem to leave us wide open.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Milwaukee point taken that proven playmakers (1 through 8) may be missing, but they I think we have some there for 2016. Qua is back and was pretty darn good. Nathan was suppose to have "it", got hurt for 2015, and now is back. JJ Green is suppose to be good and is playing this year. Lynch was pretty darn good with some great catches and runs.

Milwaukee

Banned
@Milwaukee point taken that proven playmakers (1 through 8) may be missing, but they I think we have some there for 2016. Qua is back and was pretty darn good. Nathan was suppose to have "it", got hurt for 2015, and now is back. JJ Green is suppose to be good and is playing this year. Lynch was pretty darn good with some great catches and runs.

I agree, I was hoping to see Qua and Clinton starting. I'm excited about Green as well.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's just going to be one of those years where we need to put up 30+ ppg IMO. Corners have me real worried especially when we play teams like Clemson and UNC.

Milwaukee

Banned
It's just going to be one of those years where we need to put up 30+ ppg IMO. Corners have me real worried especially when we play teams like Clemson and UNC.

Yep, we need to be super efficient offensively. But teams like Clemson and UNC are gonna score their points with all their skill guys back.

If we can get 1 WR to step up, assuming the OL improved from last year, we should be able to score 30+ each week. WR is crucial to everything we do - when we have a playmaker outside the entire offense changes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I understand being worried at corner but we haven't really seen these guys play and to be honest imo the guys we have now have just as much if not more talent then some of our past corners, now it's jus a matter of can they produce.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yep, we need to be super efficient offensively. But teams like Clemson and UNC are gonna score their points with all their skill guys back.

If we can get 1 WR to step up, assuming the OL improved from last year, we should be able to score 30+ each week. WR is crucial to everything we do - when we have a playmaker outside the entire offense changes.
Agree on the WR part but if our running game opens up it should help the passing game with June and other guys, corners weren't as worried about stopping the run last year imo and could stay with our WR's better because we honestly don't run that complicated of routes, and because of that it hurt our WR's, if the run opens up the passing opens up, and when the passing opens up the big running plays open up.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ was asked about AJ and Brant, he expanded with ...
So we've probably got more depth than we've ever had, especially on defense. I feel like we've got probably eight guys we can play on the defensive line.​
It seems like he wouldn't say that if they were bad.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think the OL and DL talent base has been increased and will be mixed with more experience. True freshman should struggle in D1 football unless you are really really special.

The O will be better because the young talent will know where to go. Brad and Scott should not be counted out. Mark my words, they will be ready when called on. Parker would be a great add for the year, but it is so hard fro a true freshman OL to really be better than an experienced OL. I think in the end we end up better on OL than many think. I sure hope I am right.

I love our 5 BBs (I hope M.A. can stay healthy). I wonder if Mills will get to redshirt, but I hope he is too good to keep off the field.

AB and WR don't give me a concern. We should be a mile better at AB now that many have at least a fall, spring, and a summer to learn. Football is a game of inches, and I think you will see some milage here.

I don't have a good read on the D. I do know that AJ Gray, Brant M., and PJ Davis are some really good players to build around. Kyle H., Glanton, Kalon, and Gamble are the big question marks as to how good the D will be... they will make or break the D with the pressure they can bring up the middle. I feel like we need to disguise our intentions better and 3rd down setups seem to leave us wide open.

Agree with a lot of this.
OL: The Morgans and a Marshall should be good depth for our G-C-G. Among Griffin, Fromayan, and Stickler we need two to step up at OT. I'm not sure where Ivenmeyer fits in but he seems to have had a good Spring Game. If Burden stays healthy Marshall could help outside. Agree that Braun will probably RS but could play if we have multiple injuries in the OL or if we do not get the step up help from the 3rd year players or if Griffin and Whitley are not able to play.

BB: Lots of talent here but Mills seemed to have been the beast in the Spring (behind 3rd string and walk-on blocking). I expect him to play a lot and be a factor.

AB: We are good with playmakers and depth. Justin and the ABs will make more big plays than 2015.

WR: Big question mark. We need a WR playmaker to step up.

D: You probably left out Freeman and St-Amour, and I hope we can find a way to use Branch and/or Simmons in pass rush. I like having both Austins on the field. I think our D will be improved.

Offense: The running game returns but overall success will be determined if complemented by a better passing game. (I do not expect good but am hoping for better). All of this O stuff changes if Justin has to sit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's MUCH more talent at DL than CPJ has had in his 8 seasons here outside of the 2008 NFL laden DL. Only problem is, the most talented DEs are young. Jordan Woods, Anree St Amour have the potential to be studs in the future, but St Amour was a T-Fr last year, and Woods will be a true freshmen this year. St Amour looked good in limited time, and will be a great DE for us. Mark it down. I think Branch will be an inside/out player eventually ala Pat Gamble. Antonio Simmons has all the physical tools...I've been high on him since he signed with us, and he's shown flashes of what we thought he would be. He's just inconsistent and needs to step it up as time is running out for him.

KCH moves laterally really well, and he's good in pursuit. I was really impressed with him as a T-FR, but I'd like to see him in the backfield more as a DT, and not just making plays out in the flats. Glanton looked good this spring...but it was against our own OL. Good and bad there. Brandon Adams has a ready made college body, but maybe not strength. Kallon looked A LOT better this spring. I think the progress with him in the last year of Fall/Spring is as much improvement as I've seen from anyone CPJ has had outsid of Gotsis. Hopefully he puts it all together next season. He definitely looks the part, and has the speed/quickness you like from DTs.

Keshun is what he is. Undersized high effort guy. He experienced a sophomore slump last year, but I think he'll play better than he did his freshmen year this season. Pat Gamble is solid...not spectacular, and not a minus player. His value is his versatility and ability to hold his ground. Rook Chungong is a depth player for lack of a better description.

DL-wise, we're deeper and more talented. I think there's a mix of a little young, and veterans at the end of their time. The talented young guys have to step up, with the veterans being leaders in the huddle. This is probably the least I've worried about the DL since that vaunted 2008 group. We're not perfect along the DL, but the talent upgrade in my opinion is there.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the Dline could actually be better than last year & there's depth.

I think LB will be young with the exception of PJ but maybe slightly more talented than last season.

Safety is an upgrade. Sorry

Corner is a down grade. Too much uncertainty and youth.

So i agree with u on S and CB. LB to me is flat. Dl to me is not much better either. So for me the d is at best the same maybe a step back

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
There's MUCH more talent at DL than CPJ has had in his 8 seasons here outside of the 2008 NFL laden DL. Only problem is, the most talented DEs are young. Jordan Woods, Anree St Amour have the potential to be studs in the future, but St Amour was a T-Fr last year, and Woods will be a true freshmen this year. St Amour looked good in limited time, and will be a great DE for us. Mark it down. I think Branch will be an inside/out player eventually ala Pat Gamble. Antonio Simmons has all the physical tools...I've been high on him since he signed with us, and he's shown flashes of what we thought he would be. He's just inconsistent and needs to step it up as time is running out for him.

KCH moves laterally really well, and he's good in pursuit. I was really impressed with him as a T-FR, but I'd like to see him in the backfield more as a DT, and not just making plays out in the flats. Glanton looked good this spring...but it was against our own OL. Good and bad there. Brandon Adams has a ready made college body, but maybe not strength. Kallon looked A LOT better this spring. I think the progress with him in the last year of Fall/Spring is as much improvement as I've seen from anyone CPJ has had outsid of Gotsis. Hopefully he puts it all together next season. He definitely looks the part, and has the speed/quickness you like from DTs.

Keshun is what he is. Undersized high effort guy. He experienced a sophomore slump last year, but I think he'll play better than he did his freshmen year this season. Pat Gamble is solid...not spectacular, and not a minus player. His value is his versatility and ability to hold his ground. Rook Chungong is a depth player for lack of a better description.

DL-wise, we're deeper and more talented. I think there's a mix of a little young, and veterans at the end of their time. The talented young guys have to step up, with the veterans being leaders in the huddle. This is probably the least I've worried about the DL since that vaunted 2008 group. We're not perfect along the DL, but the talent upgrade in my opinion is there.

Yet u describe three of our starters as "a depth guy" "not spectacular" "undersized high effort guy".

To me i agree with all three of these things which is why i dont think our dl is in good shape this year. Or let me state no better than last year and middle to bottom 1/3 in the acc

Next year (2017) it may be though. The potential is still too young imo to feel comfortable on dl.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ was asked about AJ and Brant, he expanded with ...
So we've probably got more depth than we've ever had, especially on defense. I feel like we've got probably eight guys we can play on the defensive line.​
It seems like he wouldn't say that if they were bad.
Yes CPJ does not sugar anything. :)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Agree with a lot of this.
OL: The Morgans and a Marshall should be good depth for our G-C-G. Among Griffin, Fromayan, and Stickler we need two to step up at OT. I'm not sure where Ivenmeyer fits in but he seems to have had a good Spring Game. If Burden stays healthy Marshall could help outside. Agree that Braun will probably RS but could play if we have multiple injuries in the OL or if we do not get the step up help from the 3rd year players or if Griffin and Whitley are not able to play.

BB: Lots of talent here but Mills seemed to have been the beast in the Spring (behind 3rd string and walk-on blocking). I expect him to play a lot and be a factor.

AB: We are good with playmakers and depth. Justin and the ABs will make more big plays than 2015.

WR: Big question mark. We need a WR playmaker to step up.

D: You probably left out Freeman and St-Amour, and I hope we can find a way to use Branch and/or Simmons in pass rush. I like having both Austins on the field. I think our D will be improved.

Offense: The running game returns but overall success will be determined if complemented by a better passing game. (I do not expect good but am hoping for better). All of this O stuff changes if Justin has to sit.

I agree with most of this but about our WR's I don't think we should that worried, we have very good athletes, guys, with size, speed and most importantly good hands. Last year the production being off wasn't all the WR's fault imo. We ask our guys to run fairly simple routes, and so our running game needs to be on point for those guys to succeed for the most part. If a corner doesn't have to worry about stopping the run in our offense because his teammates are doing that, then his job becomes a lot easier, add that in with JT having hardly and time to throw, can we really blame the WR's for not getting separation? If our run game is back to normal then our WR's shouldn't have a problem, if anything I would say I hope they keep improving on their blocking.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I still hope to see something like this....

WDE Freeman
NT Adams
DT Kallon
SDE Gamble

In obvious passing downs I would even like to see something crazy like Freeman, Adams, St. Amour, Simmons.