AJC's A-Back preview

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I like about this kind of competition is that whenever one player has a breakthrough it shows the other players what is possible. There is enough talent here to push everyone to be better than they might otherwise have thought they would be.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jarrett may be the fastest of them all?! Interesting considering how much we heard about Cottrell's speed. Always thought Jarrett had some of the most dynamic film of the ABs CPJ has recruited.

The top 4 ABs will certainly have earned it. Cream rises to the top, as they say...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It feels like Johnson never fails to mention Cottrell. He must have REALLY stood out last year before his injury.
By all reports, he's the cat's pajamas. I've never seen a Tech recruit with a senior film like his. The only RB I've seen at Tech who was near that fast is Tony Hollings. Jeremy Meyers was really fast too, but he played D.

I'm betting that Jarrett takes over punt returns this coming year. His senior film - and, yes, he appears to be a trifle fast himself - was full of great kick returns. The only question might be if he has gained enough weight off season. I'm betting that's why he was held out last year; he didn't look like any 165 to me.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The ABs we had playing last year are going to look pretty slow after we get these guys on the field. I appreciate all of their contributions and efforts, but we are going to be substantially faster and HOPEFULLY break more tackles. Plus Lands-Davis and Lynn Griffin will look totally different after a full meaningful off season.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
...I'm betting that Jarrett takes over punt returns this coming year. His senior film - and, yes, he appears to be a trifle fast himself - was full of great kick returns. The only question might be if he has gained enough weight off season. I'm betting that's why he was held out last year; he didn't look like any 165 to me.
I think I saw a Twitter or Instagram post where Jamal Golden said he was passing the punt return baton to Qua Searcy. I was a bit surprised to see that sort of presumptive assignment, but I'm sure like every other position it's just an opportunity to compete for it. Just struck me as odd knowing how much speed we're going to field.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think I saw a Twitter or Instagram post where Jamal Golden said he was passing the punt return baton to Qua Searcy. I was a bit surprised to see that sort of presumptive assignment, but I'm sure like every other position it's just an opportunity to compete for it. Just struck me as odd knowing how much speed we're going to field.

Interesting.

This may just be loyalty to a teammate. But it also reminds me that being a good punt returner is not primarily about top in speed. Good hands are a must. Seeing the field and making a decisive first step is critical. After that, being quick maneuvering through congestion and setting up your blockers. Last is top end speed, in my opinion. Qua, I think, fits the fill on at least the first three criteria.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If all or most of these guys can stay healthy and learn to block for each other it's going to be murder for Defenses, wave after wave of fresh, fast-as-hell A-backs!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Athletecism is there

1 - do they know where to go
2 - physical at POA

If we get three with both of the above we will be fine. If not could be tough again.
Another couple things that tag along with #1 are timing and spacing. You can know where to go, but if you're not in the optimal time/space relationship with the rest of the O, especially Justin, it doesn't matter. These are nuances, but they are huge to success of the O. These things are only learned with reps, especially full speed game reps, which is why I was worried this time last year even before the injuries. This also affects CPJ's playcalling which can limit or enhance our effectiveness, as well. Some guys learn faster than others and that will be the deciding point, imo.

Ball security is foremost and I guess you just left it off because it's an assumed prereq. Nothing is to be assumed, however.

edit: keep thinking of things to add. Confidence in your knowledge is huge as well. If guys aren't confident they're not going full speed. If you're not going full speed, it doesn't matter how fast you are. Not going full speed affects your physicality blocking, as well.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My gut tells me Lynch will be in the top four mix. He is a proven player with good hands and demonstrated game time instincts. Lynch has timing down and he will be willing to block when called upon. He will only get better this year with all the competition.

I am excited about GTs other options at A-back.

I sure hope we can recreate the excitement about blocking like 2014.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Another couple things that tag along with #1 are timing and spacing. You can know where to go, but if you're not in the optimal time/space relationship with the rest of the O, especially Justin, it doesn't matter. These are nuances, but they are huge to success of the O. These things are only learned with reps, especially full speed game reps, which is why I was worried this time last year even before the injuries. This also affects CPJ's playcalling which can limit or enhance our effectiveness, as well. Some guys learn faster than others and that will be the deciding point, imo.

Ball security is foremost and I guess you just left it off because it's an assumed prereq. Nothing is to be assumed, however.

edit: keep thinking of things to add. Confidence in your knowledge is huge as well. If guys aren't confident they're not going full speed. If you're not going full speed, it doesn't matter how fast you are. Not going full speed affects your physicality blocking, as well.

Knowing where to go and what to do is confidence too. I am not talking literally knowing the playbook. I am talking about on field execution based on your knowledge confidence speed etc. timing as well. So for me its the know what the heck you are doing, do it, and be physical at poa

Ball security is an obvious to me at any position

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
My gut tells me Lynch will be in the top four mix. He is a proven player with good hands and demonstrated game time instincts. Lynch has timing down and he will be willing to block when called upon. He will only get better this year with all the competition.

I am excited about GTs other options at A-back.

I sure hope we can recreate the excitement about blocking like 2014.
Me too...Lynch was our best (healthy) AB by the end of the season by a long shot, I'd expect that experience will help him not only on the field but also as a leader to the young guys coming up. He may not be the most physically gifted guy in the group but he definitely is one of the hardest workers. I think we'll have Lynch and Searcy starting, with Green, Cottrell, and one of Lands-Davis, Willis, and TaQuon Marshall as the next 3/4 up. One thing is for sure, we have bodies to throw at the position in hopes of finding the right guys.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He may not be the most physically gifted guy in the group but he definitely is one of the hardest workers. I think we'll have Lynch and Searcy starting, with Green, Cottrell, and one of Lands-Davis, Willis, and TaQuon Marshall as the next 3/4 up. One thing is for sure, we have bodies to throw at the position in hopes of finding the right guys.
I like Lynch too and I imagine he is a hard worker, although I really don't know. However, my guess is that he falls down the depth chart a little. He will see game action pretty often, but I think he will get passed by a few guys. That first sentence of my quote pretty much sums up why.

Searcy is faster and more elusive. Lands-Davis is quite a bit more physical and has proven himself to be a better receiver than we might have originally thought. He won't be confused as much this season. Lynn Griffin was starting to show out by the end of the season. He broke some tackles and looked like he was our best runner at making something out of nothing. JJ Green has a body of work at another school that suggests he will be good. Finally, I was speaking with a guy inside the program with a TON of football experience who told me that Cottrell had already essentially won the starting AB job in a total of one week on campus. He was that good. I have never seen the kid play, but I trust this guy's critique 100%. So, if he has healed up and doesn't have any issues (mentally or physically) with the leg, he might be hard to beat out too. It is going to be an intense situation, which is good for us fans. If Lynch can hold all those guys off, then more power to him. I will be more than happy.

Last edited:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with all you said Boomergump. Lynch was just showing some Godhigh sure hands and timing that I think will be hard to keep out of the rotation. Plus, I think you need 5 to 6 A-Backs to get through the season.