AJC: Sarah Spencer added to football coverage

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The AJC will give us coverage if we have anything positive to write about. How about we upset somebody rather than being the team that gets upset or blown out. Hard to make those stories positive when the other major team in the state is marching toward a championship.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The AJC will give us coverage if we have anything positive to write about. How about we upset somebody rather than being the team that gets upset or blown out. Hard to make those stories positive when the other major team in the state is marching toward a championship.
When I was a kid growing up in Alabama, THE rivalry was Auburn-Alabama. The state was pretty evenly split too ... 50/50 in terms of support. Shug Jordan was as well-known as Bear Bryant and great games were expected. (I still recall the Punt-Bama-Punt chants.) Today, even though I live in Auburn, you can drive 12 miles or so and you are in Bama country. In fact, I was at ****'s Sporting Goods in Mobile once and looked at a Yeti display that featured nothing but LSU and Alabama mugs. "Where's the Auburn swag?" I asked. "Doesn't sell", was the answer. Mobile in my youth was a big Auburn town. Now, not so much. There's more ink devoted to Bama, seemingly always in the hunt for the natty, than Auburn.

Same with Tech. The games were more competitive against the Dawgs then, now, not so much. It used to be that Tech had fans in Atlanta, Macon and Savannah but I think that too, has likely waned. Furman Bisher was the great AJC writer who could write the most thoroughly fun pieces after a big Tech win. They were a joy to read on Sunday morning.

I haven't read the AJC in years. There are so many other voices to listen to, but even the best at the AJC haven't been that interesting. Nothing that was a must read like Furman was.

I guess my point is ... it's isn't just Tech. But Tech, if it wants' better press, should win more and make more of an effort to be relevant within the state. It's not a new development.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
When I was a kid growing up in Alabama, THE rivalry was Auburn-Alabama. The state was pretty evenly split too ... 50/50 in terms of support. Shug Jordan was as well-known as Bear Bryant and great games were expected. (I still recall the Punt-Bama-Punt chants.) Today, even though I live in Auburn, you can drive 12 miles or so and you are in Bama country. In fact, I was at ****'s Sporting Goods in Mobile once and looked at a Yeti display that featured nothing but LSU and Alabama mugs. "Where's the Auburn swag?" I asked. "Doesn't sell", was the answer. Mobile in my youth was a big Auburn town. Now, not so much. There's more ink devoted to Bama, seemingly always in the hunt for the natty, than Auburn.

Same with Tech. The games were more competitive against the Dawgs then, now, not so much. It used to be that Tech had fans in Atlanta, Macon and Savannah but I think that too, has likely waned. Furman Bisher was the great AJC writer who could write the most thoroughly fun pieces after a big Tech win. They were a joy to read on Sunday morning.

I haven't read the AJC in years. There are so many other voices to listen to, but even the best at the AJC haven't been that interesting. Nothing that was a must read like Furman was.

I guess my point is ... it's isn't just Tech. But Tech, if it wants' better press, should win more and make more of an effort to be relevant within the state. It's not a new development.
You and I must be in (about) the same generation........."the good ole days". I remember them well, sigh.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You and I must be in (about) the same generation........."the good ole days". I remember them well, sigh.
Maybe. Sunday mornings, we’d run out to get the newspaper just to read the game scores. If we went to the 7am Mass, the priest would announce game scores before starting the service!

As a kid, if you met a girl, my parents wanted to know … what high school did they attend, who were there parents and … were they Auburn or Alabama fans? If you supported the “wrong” team, it really was a dealbreaker.

“Oh Lawd. She’s cute. But my goodness, an Auburn girl? My word ….” 🤣

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
She is a UGA alumnus. I’m pretty sure she never got off of the Dwag bandwagon.

Hard to judge her for going to UGAG for a degree we don't offer. Hopefully, she writes well of our program. I do suspect her dwag roots don't hurt her at the AJC though. Either way, AJC is not where I generally brush up on GT news.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Hard to judge her for going to UGAG for a degree we don't offer. Hopefully, she writes well of our program. I do suspect her dwag roots don't hurt her at the AJC though. Either way, AJC is not where I generally brush up on GT news.
That's because the ajc has no Tech stories to brush up on! That was really too easy, but I had to say it !!