AJC: Interview with Will Jackson & David Sims

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like how JT has speed and is elusive, put him in space and its a wrap.
I think it would do well for us however to play Tim particularly in tough yardage and goal line situations. Kinda like how Duke uses both their QB's could help JT stay fresh and limit the hits he takes.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think that is a good plan. I usually dislike dual QB systems, but JT and TB would need to be played differently by the D, so I think it could work.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
[quotg936g, post: 28035, member: 623"]I think that is a good plan. I usually dislike dual QB systems, but JT and TB would need to be played differently by the D, so I think it could work.[/quote]

Im typically opposed to it too, but its worked in the past and it should work for Tech next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Guys...let's stop with the JT runs a 4.2 forty. I would love for that to be true, but I highly doubt it.

CJ Spiller ran an official 4.37 forty, one of the fastest dudes I've ever seen on the field. If JT ran a 4.21 forty he'd be one of fastest people on the planet.

JT is fast...but let's not get carried away.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys...let's stop with the JT runs a 4.2 forty. I would love for that to be true, but I highly doubt it.

CJ Spiller ran an official 4.37 forty, one of the fastest dudes I've ever seen on the field. If JT ran a 4.21 forty he'd be one of fastest people on the planet.

JT's 4.2 40 was hand-timed, thus unofficial and definitely not exact. Impressive, but most likely not completely accurate

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

From what I understand the 4.21 was hand timed. So, based on what I've read in the past bout timing errors, that would likely translate to a 4.4-4.43 time. Regardless the young man can flat get going!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think Snoddy edged JT out in a sprint competition. Regardless...both those guys are burners. Hope they both play as fast in pads and see a good deal of pt next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think Snoddy edged JT out in a sprint competition. Regardless...both those guys are burners. Hope they both play as fast in pads and see a good deal of pt next year.
Snoddy is a track guy and track guys know how to start a race which is everything in a sprint race. JT has "football speed." He's fast in pads, sees the field exceptionally well and can change directions on a dime. Add in great acceleration and I'd much rather have JT with the rock in his hands than anybody.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I have high hopes for JT...but I recognize there will be some first year mistakes. Was true of Joe Ham and is true with most players. Hopefully we can overcome the mistakes, good teams do.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
You know how when a girl tells you her "number" you are supposed to multiply by three?
Similar story for high school 40 times. Tack on .2 to .4 and you get what they'd run at a combine-style 40 (which is still only half-automatic timing)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
e="OldJacketFan, post: 28043, member: 304"]From what I understand the 4.21 was hand timed. So, based on what I've read in the past bout timing errors, that would likely translate to a 4.4-4.43 time. Regardless the young man can flat get going![/quote]
There is no telling the amount of error. All I know is that he separates from people. That makes him fast. Great combo of speed and quickness.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Wow, I never realized Stephen Hill and Calvin were faster than Spiller.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Back to the article. We did not execute pretty much sums everything up. The game plan was solid, but the execution was awful. We do not have much room for error so we have to execute at a high level. Pretty much what the AD said.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Welcome 79! Why didn't we see more of JT and less of VL given the circumstances? I guess I fall into the category of responders who feel like CPJ was just trying to win. I have felt for a while that ultimately JT was going to win out over Vad. In fact, on a different board in the preseason, I went to so far as to say it had about a 40% chance of happening during the 2013 season. However, watching him play in 2013 made me nervous (as well as excited I guess). I agree he looks better at reads and footwork and combines a pretty potent punch with the speed and elusiveness, but, it is pretty hard to overcome turnovers. He played the game at the very edge of the envelope in terms of ball security. Ultimately, if I were coach, Vad would have gotten most of the snaps too. I am looking forward to next year. I'll bet JT settles down and he will have a productive season.

Boomer,
"On that other board" we discussed whether Byerly could impact because he was so comfortable in it.If I knew he could pass decently ,I might think he could push JT.I just think too many people believe JT has a 4.2 40(BS) and had some good plays vs elon and Syr, and forget the pressure of playing all the time vs THE BIG BOYS/tough games and how it erodes you(see Vad).
What do think about Byerly's chances?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer,
"On that other board" we discussed whether Byerly could impact because he was so comfortable in it.If I knew he could pass decently ,I might think he could push JT.I just think too many people believe JT has a 4.2 40(BS) and had some good plays vs elon and Syr, and forget the pressure of playing all the time vs THE BIG BOYS/tough games and how it erodes you(see Vad).
What do think about Byerly's chances?
I like Byerly a lot. I admit. However, I also have to recognize that I am talking about a very small sample size in regards to plays I have watched. Also, much of the snaps he played were in very low leverage situations. To be truthful, I have absolutely no sense about him as a passer one way or the other. I just haven't seen it. I like how he rides the MESH to give his reads enough time and sell his fakes etc. He is a physical, decisive runner who plays fast. It is really not fair to him for me to characterize his potential at this time, but I feel like he would give us about what a typical NAVY QB has given them over the last 12 years or so. That is fine with me. If you can surround a guy like Byerly with talent superior to NAVY then you really have something. I have no fear about him winning the job if that is what happens.