AJC: Interview with Will Jackson & David Sims

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting. I agree, its very interesting why JT didn't get to see the field more if their assertions about him are congruent with the coaching staff's opinion as well.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought this comment was interesting -

"I think in Vad’s mind, I think he knew he could be successful in this offense, but I think he wanted to do some different things,” Jackson said.

Sounds to me like Vad was a square peg because he didn't wanted to fit the offense, not because he wasn't able to ...

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like all the rumors or reports run along the same line. I think it was evident to the fans during the season that there were internal problems or division on the team, or between the team and the coaches.

GTie79

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey guys, my first post ever, so take it easy on me. But in retrospect it looks as if the coaching staff was playing Vad more because they thought he was thinking about transferring - like they were trying to say they believed in him. But that approach just seems to conflict with any thoughts I would have about our coaches decision making. I really thought we would see more of JT after the Clemson game or especially after the Syracuse game. But it seemed that we saw less of him.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I've got to think Vad just gave us the best chance of winning in 2013. You can "know the offense" without necessarily being able to execute everything at the highest level. Maybe he was just too risky with turnovers?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey guys, my first post ever, so take it easy on me. But in retrospect it looks as if the coaching staff was playing Vad more because they thought he was thinking about transferring - like they were trying to say they believed in him. But that approach just seems to conflict with any thoughts I would have about our coaches decision making. I really thought we would see more of JT after the Clemson game or especially after the Syracuse game. But it seemed that we saw less of him.

Welcome ... now I shall proceed to tear apart your post. Kidding.

It does make one wonder if they were trying to appease Vad to a degree, but that runs counter to what I'd expect from the staff. Seems most of the team who we've heard from have the same "Yeah, seems about right" reaction to him leaving.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I found it interesting what was said about Tevin helping JT. Nothing was said about Tevin helping Vad. Kinda makes me wonder if Tevin tried and Vad didnt want to hear it or if Tevin didnt offer because he was afraid Vad would pass him. To me it was pretty evident that Vad could run the O because he looked really good at times in 2012. I just really hope that were not having this same discussion this time next season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I found it interesting what was said about Tevin helping JT. Nothing was said about Tevin helping Vad. Kinda makes me wonder if Tevin tried and Vad didnt want to hear it or if Tevin didnt offer because he was afraid Vad would pass him. To me it was pretty evident that Vad could run the O because he looked really good at times in 2012. I just really hope that were not having this same discussion this time next season.

Vad has said a lot in the past that Tevin has helped him out. Not only as a freshman, but when the two were competing for time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Seems like all the rumors or reports run along the same line. I think it was evident to the fans during the season that there were internal problems or division on the team, or between the team and the coaches.

If you really thought there were internal problems or divisions within the team and problems between the team and the coach, then I think you'd post it or suggest it 3 or 4 times a thread in almost every thread for the last month ... oh wait, never mind.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
AE 87: Take off your dark shades. The sun is shining and I can see clearly, and I have old eyes. Oh! That's right, you don't actually have to see it, some of the athletes on the team have already verified this.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
AE 87: Take off your dark shades. The sun is shining and I can see clearly, and I have old eyes. Oh! That's right, you don't actually have to see it, some of the athletes on the team have already verified this.
Please post these quotes. The article posted in this thread suggests no such thing. How you jumped to this conclusion is beyond me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

I just can't buy into the thought that CPJ, et al would not be playing the players that they thought gave GT the best opportunity to win the game each week. I doubt they's play VL just becasue they thought he might transfer. At the end of the day, they are trying to make sure they are able to keep their jobs.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thanks for posting. I agree, its very interesting why JT didn't get to see the field more if their assertions about him are congruent with the coaching staff's opinion as well.

I think we PJ it's...all things being equal...the guy with the most time in the program gets the nod. Look at the starting WR's that started the season.

GTJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Please post these quotes. The article posted in this thread suggests no such thing. How you jumped to this conclusion is beyond me.

Jamal Golden would post on Twitter that JT should be playing QB over Vad while Golden was at home watching the away games on TV due to injury. I believe a few other players said the same thing. I assume that's what he's referring to.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
In fairness, I believe Golden and Thomas go way back. That doesn't discount Jamal's opinion but I don't think it's evidence of some deep schism in support for VL/JT.

If 2012 and 2013 show anything, I think they at least show that the 2nd team quarterback is the 2nd team QB for a reason. If JT was clearly better than VL, he would have played ahead of him.

Now, I know I would have been frustrated as a coach with the way VL ran this year and maybe would have pulled him. But CPJ probably has better control of his emotions than I do.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The only player I saw/read about openly asking for JT to play was Jamal, but even with that I didn't see/read about this locker room divide.
Also JT and Jamal have played with and against each other since they were 6 years old there's a lot of friendship and loyalty there.
I'm not suggesting that player didn't like JT more or supported JT over Vad, but I haven't read anything to support that.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Vad started because he gave us the best chance to win.

Justin runs the base better and is extremely more comfortable in the offense but his ball security has been a issue...he is a gambler and will make the pitch at anytime.

That's the main thing he's been working on for awhile.