AJC Geoff Collins interview, somewhat a preview of season 4

slugboy

Staff member
Suguira did a pretty good job in this writeup. He asked some exact questions. He also gave some background on last season that I hadn't seen until now. It may be the first time I can recall Suguira writing about Collins stopping practices last year because of focus issues on the field (I guess he felt like he'd lose access if he wrote about it before). A lot of posts on here have been asking why there wasn't discipline, and that's at least on piece of evidence that he was trying to make it happen.

It should be about 4x as long of an interview, but it's worth reading.

You won't find a promise for a bowl game or a number of wins.

<shared from the AJC ePaper app>

In AJC interview, Georgia Tech’s Geoff Collins stays positive about fourth season

For more great content like this subscribe to the AJC ePaper app here: https://myaccount.ajc.com/ajc/home
1659739979702.png

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well Im posting it too, dagnabit! I just read it and came over to post

Seriously though, kudos to @slugboy for posting this an hour ago. A tip of the hat to you and all the others who post articles and information here at Georgia Tech Swarm.

Worth the time to read. Don't expect any blockbusters though.

I did think that this was fair and the right thing to say in response to the question.
"He declined to answer a question about whether this season’s roster is better than last season’s, saying that it wouldn’t be fair to players on either team."

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Well Im posting it too, dagnabit! I just read it and came over to post

Seriously though, kudos to @slugboy for posting this an hour ago. A tip of the hat to you and all the others who post articles and information here at Georgia Tech Swarm.

Worth the time to read. Don't expect any blockbusters though.

I did think that this was fair and the right thing to say in response to the question.
"He declined to answer a question about whether this season’s roster is better than last season’s, saying that it wouldn’t be fair to players on either team."
Except when commenting on the players on the roster when he took the job. I didn't think that was particularly fair.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Except when commenting on the players on the roster when he took the job. I didn't think that was particularly fair.
I don't think he did comment on that. He actually seemed much more reserved than in the past.

There was little to no substance, however (as usual). He could have commented on how the offense would be different, what they changed on defense (schematically or approach wise).

The only real bit of info was that Thacker will indeed call plays.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I think players and coaches became to buddy buddy. This season with new staff and focus I hope to see a more disciplined team. Just being disciplined alone should get them 5 wins.

slugboy

Staff member
I think, in general, coaches are so concerned about tipping their hands to opponents or giving unflattering ammunition to a journalist looking for a scoop, that almost all their quotes are vague and generic. Collins is not alone in this. There are a few places where he gives useful answers here.

Journalists are out to write a story with a hook. You give them the ingredients for a story. Some of them are bland ingredients, and some are spicy. If you don’t think you can get a flattering story, you give bland ingredients.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think, in general, coaches are so concerned about tipping their hands to opponents or giving unflattering ammunition to a journalist looking for a scoop, that almost all their quotes are vague and generic. Collins is not alone in this. There are a few places where he gives useful answers here.

Journalists are out to write a story with a hook. You give them the ingredients for a story. Some of them are bland ingredients, and some are spicy. If you don’t think you can get a flattering story, you give bland ingredients.
there’s really nothing to gain by giving detailed football answers anyway. it makes little sense for a journalist to even ask or pry for that information. the vast majority of fans couldn’t tell you the difference between a 335 or 425, very few know what inside zone vs outside zone is, etc. journalists today get good engagement with easily digestible narrative stories. not advanced stats and scheme talk. this is true for every sport and why shows like skip and shannon and stephen a smith are absolutely dominating television sports media at the moment.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Every year I look at our roster, particularly along the lines, as well as our schedule and make a guess. Last year I guessed 3-9 but with what looked like a good transfer class I upgraded that to 4-8. Probably also because Collins over-promised. Well, two of the pro prospect transfers (OT Kenneth Something and DE White) were hurt. Ended up 3-9.

This year? 3-9. Several YOUNG linemen would have to break out. Schedule is murderous. Just not gonna happen this year and don't think it will be pretty.

While Collins has been dealing with a difficult transition vs historically tough rivals, he has nonetheless handled several aspects poorly and that has sealed his fate. Fan base doesn't trust him anymore.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Downloaded an AJC app.
read the story.
nothing of note. In fact, kinda waste of time. Felt like I was listening to someone's press secretary instead with all the non-answer answers.

I don't think Ken was going for anything that, if revealed, would have helped our opponents. I wonder if Ken asked CGC what if anything in his approach he has changed as a result of the first three seasons.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Geoff is the master of the non-answer. Unbelievable that he is still keeping this act up and isn't being at least somewhat honest, or even showing a little bit of anger himself for god's sake. Beyond that, saw a pic from practice of what looked like a tight end blocking with his forehead, eyes pointed directly towards the ground...im sure this is gonna be a great year.

JacketFan137

Banned
Geoff is the master of the non-answer. Unbelievable that he is still keeping this act up and isn't being at least somewhat honest, or even showing a little bit of anger himself for god's sake. Beyond that, saw a pic from practice of what looked like a tight end blocking with his forehead, eyes pointed directly towards the ground...im sure this is gonna be a great year.
i was really optimistic about this season but now that you’ve seen an issue with one still frame of one player in one practice and determined our season will be terrible, i just don’t know how i feel anymore. you’ve changed my mind for sure

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
i was really optimistic about this season but now that you’ve seen an issue with one still frame of one player in one practice and determined our season will be terrible, i just don’t know how i feel anymore. you’ve changed my mind for sure
Relax chief, I'm half kidding lmao you guys love to just pick **** apart that's supposed to be a joke. I'm sure you're fun at parties.