AJC Article - Pastner Tries Unheard of Plan

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I’m over reacting, but my first thought when I read this was, “well, there goes our season and NCAA Tourney chances!”

Can we realistically expect to be any good practicing like this?

To cope with COVID-19 protocol, Josh Pastner tries 'unheard of' plan

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...n/XN5LNHYMDNGGPJWIX57NNRA24M/?outputType=wrap

(Via AJC)
Idk what you really want Pastner to do if it is true the entire team has to quarantine for 2 weeks if anyone on staff or roster get it.

GTFowler

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe I’m over reacting, but my first thought when I read this was, “well, there goes our season and NCAA Tourney chances!”

Can we realistically expect to be any good practicing like this?

To cope with COVID-19 protocol, Josh Pastner tries 'unheard of' plan

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...n/XN5LNHYMDNGGPJWIX57NNRA24M/?outputType=wrap

(Via AJC)
Well the football team seems to have been doing this all season judging by their performance

I'm excited for the season

Deleted member 2897

I think Pastner’s number one fear about this season is we never get onto the court in the first place. Just look at the fact that some of the Pac-12 games have already been canceled because of one single positive test – since the team wasn’t separating the players the entire roster is under quarantine.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Idk what you really want Pastner to do if it is true the entire team has to quarantine for 2 weeks if anyone on staff or roster get it.

Does this change that though? For example, if Usher gets it doesn't the entire team still have to sit because of the NCAA rule or will these guidelines allow us to play even if one player gets it just by not using that player?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't read the article but I didn't know there was a rule - if one gets it all sit. That seems to be different than the intensive testing and tracking rules for football (at least ACC/SEC versions) that focus on positive tests to sit players/staff. Having said that the contact of a normal BB practice would tend to quickly put everyone at risk if one player has it, so I kind of understand what he is trying to do.

The upshot of practices where everyone is 6 feet apart is it slows the implementation of anything new but on the other side slows the integration of new players into the systems we want to run - IMHO especially on defense. IMHO we will start with a much higher dependence on players who have been here and it will take longer to integrate/play the new players. Given our need for one of the 5's to come through this will be interesting.

Deleted member 2897

I can't read the article but I didn't know there was a rule - if one gets it all sit. That seems to be different than the intensive testing and tracking rules for football (at least ACC/SEC versions) that focus on positive tests to sit players/staff. Having said that the contact of a normal BB practice would tend to quickly put everyone at risk if one player has it, so I kind of understand what he is trying to do.

The upshot of practices where everyone is 6 feet apart is it slows the implementation of anything new but on the other side slows the integration of new players into the systems we want to run - IMHO especially on defense. IMHO we will start with a much higher dependence on players who have been here and it will take longer to integrate/play the new players. Given our need for one of the 5's to come through this will be interesting.

I think it’s the same type of rule as football, and it comes back to contact tracing. If someone test positive, and you’ve been having close contact practices, then those people also have to isolate for a certain period of time and continue to test negative before they can all play again. Cal Berkeley just had one single player test positive on their football team. But since they were doing full on practices and not separating people into position groups or anything, the entire team falls into the contact tracing protocol and they had to cancel their first game this weekend. By separating the players like Pastner is doing, if one person tests positive, it doesn’t put the whole team into the contact tracing protocol. It’s similar to what Coach Collins has been doing, but even more aggressive.

Deleted member 2897

Do whatever the rest of the ACC is doing. I would rather not play then set ourselves up to lose every game by being unprepared.

You’re assuming we’ll be unprepared. In the article, it explains how that shouldn’t be the case.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Idk. I’d rather go 15-6 b/c we had to cancel a few games than 15-12 b/c we look lost due to not having had a real practice all season. Reminds me of Navy’s coach running non-contact practice in fall camp this year only to get embarrassed in their opener by like 50.

Other teams are gonna be better prepared in every game we do play, and we don’t get Ws in the games the other teams have to cancel. We’re basically doing exactly what the rest of the conference is hoping we’d do.

Think it would be smarter to just practice normal and switch to this non-contact style if/when we are forced to cancel some games so we don’t lose a second chunk.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
There’s a margin of error either way: your team is too careful and practice isn’t enough to prepare for games, or you have bad luck and you lose too many players.

I’m not sure if this is a good plan or not, but he has a plan and he’s not winging it

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't win if you don't play. Pastner is betting that the season will be a war of attrition and he wants to have a team with horses running throughout.

Since nobody knows how this will play out, it seems a stretch to take him to task for the strategy. I celebrate his guts for doing something different than what others are doing. He has the courage to leave himself open for criticism.

I wonder if the crowd here will give him credit if his strategy works? From what I can tell, he will be blasted either way. If it doesn't work, he is a buffoon. If it does work, he was just lucky.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m not sure if the NCAA BB policy will be “COVID = forfeit” or “COVID = cancellation”.
One policy favors not reporting, and the other favors riskier practices.
I think it will be “cancellation”

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not sure if the NCAA BB policy will be “COVID = forfeit” or “COVID = cancellation”.
One policy favors not reporting, and the other favors riskier practices.
I think it will be “cancellation”
What I think will matter is what the ACC policy is - which we can glean from football - Does someone here have it or can point us too it?

I expect teams are under pressure to report (not hide a positive) from the league, along with required testing (3X per week I understand).
If a single (or maybe 2 or 3) players can not play because they have it or are quarantined - then does ACC policy say the game must be played? I would think so based on what we have seen in football (i.e. Clemson played without Trevor Lawrence last two weeks)

I assume that at some number of players not available (or below some number of scholarship players available) - the game would be rescheduled (if possible) or cancelled - but what is that number? We saw some PAC-12 games cancelled because team has less than x scholarship players available this past weekend.

We still have not seen the ACC schedule - with less than three weeks before we are supposed to play GA State .... How will it be structured to allow for make up games?

What Pastners technique does is minimize the chance the entire team is shutdown for two weeks mid-season. Losing that much practice time (and associated conditioning) is the bigger impact to team performance than cancelling/postponing a game. He will be second guessed unless the team wins ...but credit to him for trying to minimze games not played and players 'not positive' being able to play.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
One might argue that we have ZERO margin of error
Indeed, it is like I always say, NC Two A basketball is about Guard(ing yourself from getting Covid while you) Play. I mean if you can have good Guard(ing yourself from getting Covid while you) Play talent than you can win a lot of basketball games at the NC Two A level. The teams who win this year, like all years, will be those who show a mastery at Guard(ing yourself from getting Covid while you) Play.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this is the current state of NCAA guidance but this USA Today article says the NCAA "suggests" a 14 day quarantine if there is one positive test in the inner bubble of the team. Good ole NCAA comes up with "suggestions" for guidance at this point :oops:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this is the current state of NCAA guidance but this USA Today article says the NCAA "suggests" a 14 day quarantine if there is one positive test in the inner bubble of the team. Good ole NCAA comes up with "suggestions" for guidance at this point :oops:

Sounds like a Grayson Allen indefinite suspension

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You’re assuming we’ll be unprepared. In the article, it explains how that shouldn’t be the case.
I hate to break it to you, but if they face teams that practices with full contact they’re going to be unprepared. Best chance there is that the opponent can’t play due to Covid.

If this works then the argument could be made that practice is worthless.

Bottom line is all of this stuff is stupid. I’ve still yet to hear of a single college athlete having a serious case of COVID. Tons of cases, but everyone gets better and returns. The kids themselves generally don’t seem to be concerned. Meanwhile we still put the dog and pony show on about how we are protecting everyone.

If you’re going to play then play. Otherwise just throw in the towel. I can’t watch the basketball equivalent of what’s going on with out football kicking game where we blame Covid for pathetic game day performance. Hopefully I’m wrong.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I hate to break it to you, but if they face teams that practices with full contact they’re going to be unprepared. Best chance there is that the opponent can’t play due to Covid.

If this works then the argument could be made that practice is worthless.

Bottom line is all of this stuff is stupid. I’ve still yet to hear of a single college athlete having a serious case of COVID. Tons of cases, but everyone gets better and returns. The kids themselves generally don’t seem to be concerned. Meanwhile we still put the dog and pony show on about how we are protecting everyone.

If you’re going to play then play. Otherwise just throw in the towel. I can’t watch the basketball equivalent of what’s going on with out football kicking game where we blame Covid for pathetic game day performance. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Also I am sure you’re familiar with the loss of smell and taste some patients experience. That’s a brain stem based set of issues.

The scariest part of this is no one knows the potential long term effects of Covid. I’m not trying to fear monger, but it’s factually wrong and socially irresponsible to post content that suggests the disease is not a concern for young people.