AJC Article - Parker Braun explains his rationale for transferring

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like education was the biggest reason. He wants a liberal arts Master's. Parker comes across as really humble.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like education was the biggest reason. He wants a liberal arts Master's. Parker comes across as really humble.

I had to dash a kids dreams but needs to look elsewhere than anthropology to even be a professor. Way to many of those.

However It does sound like if we offered a degree in education (or even a MS in Architectural Archaeology) he'd probably still be here.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I had to dash a kids dreams but needs to look elsewhere than anthropology to even be a professor. Way to many of those.

However It does sound like if we offered a degree in education (or even a MS in Architectural Archaeology) he'd probably still be here.

Yeah, you've got phD's begging for adjunct work at this point in liberal arts academia. But hey, hopefully Parker will have a lengthy and lucrative NFL career first and can just teach for the joy of it. Plus, he will still have the Tech degree which will give him options.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you've got phD's begging for adjunct work at this point in liberal arts academia. But hey, hopefully Parker will have a lengthy and lucrative NFL career first and can just teach for the joy of it. Plus, he will still have the Tech degree which will give him options.

He likely wants to coach. But to the studpidity of academia there is no degree in Sports Education directly where yoou take classes on teaching different sports.

They are electives off kinesology degrees. which don't help you get education jobs.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
He likely wants to coach. But to the stupidity of academia there is no degree in Sports Education directly where you take classes on teaching different sports.

They are electives off kinesology degrees. which don't help you get education jobs.
This seems like a niche that some school is eventually going to fill and reap HUGE rewards in recruiting athletes. Figure out a way to make it an education degree and incorporate a variety of sports instruction and you're in the money.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
This seems like a niche that some school is eventually going to fill and reap HUGE rewards in recruiting athletes. Figure out a way to make it an education degree and incorporate a variety of sports instruction and you're in the money.
They do it in England. My son in law has his. Includes quite a bit of interesting work on coaching philosophies, psych, child development (how to work effectively with different ages of athletes, how to get techniques across among other things. He’s evidently a very good coach from the job offers he’s gotten

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Completely depends on the institution and network created.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It’s high time Engineers fixed the educational system.

On a side note, I can tolerate Parker going to UF if he helps beat the mutts. Same goes for Barn. Please do not let him go to Oh St. That would be wrong in so many ways. I’d rather see him see him squandering his talents at some girlie PAC-10 school than that.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
He likely wants to coach. But to the studpidity of academia there is no degree in Sports Education directly where yoou take classes on teaching different sports.

Why don't we offer a kinesiology degree program? It still falls in with our STEM program and gives another option that athletes would be interested in. I have mentioned before about adding a sports management degree but I think kinesiology is an even better option.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why don't we offer a kinesiology degree program? It still falls in with our STEM program and gives another option that athletes would be interested in. I have mentioned before about adding a sports management degree but I think kinesiology is an even better option.
It’s a needs issue. It’s the needs of the state that matter, not the needs of the institution. Is there a need for this degree for the people of Georgia, if there is, is it met by other universities?

It’s that way for any degree program consideration. The tail doesn’t wag the dog fellas.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a needs issue. It’s the needs of the state that matter, not the needs of the institution. Is there a need for this degree for the people of Georgia, if there is, is it met by other universities?

It’s that way for any degree program consideration. The tail doesn’t wag the dog fellas.
I guess that Tech didn't satisfy the engineering need enough when ugag started their engineering college in 2012? It is a political game more than anything and unfortunately there are too many dwag supporters in the decision making positions in Georgia. I guess you do have one thing right though, it is the dwag that wags the tail.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess that Tech didn't satisfy the engineering need enough when ugag started their engineering college in 2012? It is a political game more than anything and unfortunately there are too many dwag supporters in the decision making positions in Georgia. I guess you do have one thing right though, it is the dwag that wags the tail.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to that. Southern Poly (now part of Kennesaw State) use to get the kids that GT didn't accept, but it came to a point that even Southern Poly couldn't accept all the kids that wanted to be Engineers. GT, by way of our elite and selective programs, just can't take in every kid that wants to be an engineer. GT is an elite school and we take in the best from around the world, not just the state of GA. There's only so many seats GT can fill. Same with Southern Poly. The state of GA and the United States overall has had a shortage of not just engineers, but STEM workers for years now. The shortage is a large part why GT gets so many elite applicants every year...kids want a desirable major and they want to go to the best schools they can: GT is one of the best STEM schools in the world. How many of posters on this board wanted to go to GT but couldn't get in?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...ns-think-they-have-a-shortage-of-stem-workers

In a sense it's great for GT because we turn out elite quality STEM graduates and our skills are in high demand. On the other end, it affords UGA a valid excuse to encroach on a territory that was long given to GT. The other side of it is the demand for liberal arts degrees is falling, so it makes it hard for GT to approach the board to expand our "athlete friendly" majors.

If anything, GT needs to be innovative with our major offerings. GT doesn't need to "lower the bar", but create majors that are new and exciting to attract a more diverse student body. A BS in Music or Film technology and science that supports the booming music and film/television scene in GA, BS in athletic performance and biosciences that helps kids that want to pursue careers in sports medicine or be S&C coaches. Create a sports management major within Scheller Business school. It's a relatively new major that LOTS of schools are creating because there's such a large demand for careers in the sports & athletic industry. You get the point.

I don't think GT needs to "lower the bar" by any means. I think kids are willing to do the work if the payoff is something they have a passion for.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Any system can be corrupted. Unfortunately we’re not in the driver seat to do that. Besides, I don’t think their new engineering degrees have helped their football program very much.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to that. Southern Poly (now part of Kennesaw State) use to get the kids that GT didn't accept, but it came to a point that even Southern Poly couldn't accept all the kids that wanted to be Engineers. GT, by way of our elite and selective programs, just can't take in every kid that wants to be an engineer. GT is an elite school and we take in the best from around the world, not just the state of GA. There's only so many seats GT can fill. Same with Southern Poly. The state of GA and the United States overall has had a shortage of not just engineers, but STEM workers for years now. The shortage is a large part why GT gets so many elite applicants every year...kids want a desirable major and they want to go to the best schools they can: GT is one of the best STEM schools in the world. How many of posters on this board wanted to go to GT but couldn't get in?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...ns-think-they-have-a-shortage-of-stem-workers

In a sense it's great for GT because we turn out elite quality STEM graduates and our skills are in high demand. On the other end, it affords UGA a valid excuse to encroach on a territory that was long given to GT. The other side of it is the demand for liberal arts degrees is falling, so it makes it hard for GT to approach the board to expand our "athlete friendly" majors.

If anything, GT needs to be innovative with our major offerings. GT doesn't need to "lower the bar", but create majors that are new and exciting to attract a more diverse student body. A BS in Music or Film technology and science that supports the booming music and film/television scene in GA, BS in athletic performance and biosciences that helps kids that want to pursue careers in sports medicine or be S&C coaches. Create a sports management major within Scheller Business school. It's a relatively new major that LOTS of schools are creating because there's such a large demand for careers in the sports & athletic industry. You get the point.

I don't think GT needs to "lower the bar" by any means. I think kids are willing to do the work if the payoff is something they have a passion for.
Just a little bit about Southern Tech ( Southern Poly) I did graduate from there in 1981 which at that time we just called it Southern Tech . At the time I was there it was a Division of GT . The big difference was my degree was in Civil Engineering Technology or CET not Civil Engineering like GT . Sorry to get off the study just thought some may be interested in knowing. If I did the right here is a picture of the catalog.

upload_2019-2-20_10-43-33.png

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Nicely done Techster!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Actually, we do offer a degree in Applied Physiology...but it's at the PhD level.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
GT is one of the best STEM schools in the world. How many of posters on this board wanted to go to GT but couldn't get in?

I was smart enough to know that I wouldn't be accepted, so I saved my application money. My sister was there and I saw her workload and no, just no. Mad props to any and all GT alum, even you M-Train riders!