AJC Article - MaChelle Joseph files lawsuit against Georgia Tech alleging sex discrimination

LibertyTurns

Banned
That's my guess. And if she can get enough out of a settlement, maybe she just retires. Why not? What *has* she got to lose, after all? Especially if her strategy is to NOT work anymore....
My company recently had a woman quit. 3 months later (this week) came the letter from the lawyer:

Hostile work environment
Disparate treatment
Age discrimination
Race discimmination
Sex discrimmination
Harassment
Negligent supervision
An odd one- recharacterized job description without consent

In my state, 67% of lawsuits are favorable to the plaintiff at trial. 10% result in more than a $1M settlement. Avg arbitration settlement is about $50k. About 70% are settled out of court. These are not made up numbers, these are fact as I was just handed the playbook earlier this week so I could vote.

Do the math: the average cost per claim to an employer is $235k, the over/under if you will. That’s with I’m guessing an average compensated employee $50k/yr. In these cases you’re dealing with a high percentage that’s unable to create a good case prior to termination, you know the type.

Joseph got paid around $750k/yr or 15x that. That’s roughly an average of a $3.5M settlement. She had 3 years to get read with the help of a lawyer no doubt. No benefit there?

You’re GT & you can either pay her the roughly $3.5M or give her the finger & take your chances at trial while you “maintain the high road” in front of a dozen mutt & man hating jurors that hate GT. Then you got the monthly crap bombs lobbed at the Institute by the AGC, etc.

Some of you guys think this is a right or wrong issue. It’s not. It’s a classic make/buy decision. Is it cheaper for me to make, ie pay legal costs & hope I win or buy her off. The only difference here is normally in business you know your costs if you choose make. In this instance your cost may be small, medium or large & the odds are not in your favor regardless of how right you think you are.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On an unrelated Title IX question, when will all the other genders demand an equal number of sports teams? The current assumption only men's and women's sports seems so 20th century in its cis-normativity.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
My company recently had a woman quit. 3 months later (this week) came the letter from the lawyer:

Hostile work environment
Disparate treatment
Age discrimination
Race discimmination
Sex discrimmination
Harassment
Negligent supervision
An odd one- recharacterized job description without consent

In my state, 67% of lawsuits are favorable to the plaintiff at trial. 10% result in more than a $1M settlement. Avg arbitration settlement is about $50k. About 70% are settled out of court. These are not made up numbers, these are fact as I was just handed the playbook earlier this week so I could vote.

Do the math: the average cost per claim to an employer is $235k, the over/under if you will. That’s with I’m guessing an average compensated employee $50k/yr. In these cases you’re dealing with a high percentage that’s unable to create a good case prior to termination, you know the type.

Joseph got paid around $750k/yr or 15x that. That’s roughly an average of a $3.5M settlement. She had 3 years to get read with the help of a lawyer no doubt. No benefit there?

You’re GT & you can either pay her the roughly $3.5M or give her the finger & take your chances at trial while you “maintain the high road” in front of a dozen mutt & man hating jurors that hate GT. Then you got the monthly crap bombs lobbed at the Institute by the AGC, etc.

Some of you guys think this is a right or wrong issue. It’s not. It’s a classic make/buy decision. Is it cheaper for me to make, ie pay legal costs & hope I win or buy her off. The only difference here is normally in business you know your costs if you choose make. In this instance your cost may be small, medium or large & the odds are not in your favor regardless of how right you think you are.

Ok, but it is not just GT. The State of Ga is involved, Peterson is involved, she is dragging reps of the “mutt fans” - the BoR. into it.

AGC (AJC, right?) is against anything decent, pro Bill of Rights, pro American, pro State of Ga and a vast majority of Georgians know this. Being criticized by AJC in a matter like this is not a negative.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Good interview with Blanche Alverson. If GT wasn't supporting GTWBB, why did they pay for her to go to Thailand to watch an incoming recruit, as well as scout other players?
Duke WBB coach was there too. Probably a lot of them there as well.

ScGold

Banned
On an unrelated Title IX question, when will all the other genders demand an equal number of sports teams? The current assumption only men's and women's sports seems so 20th century in its cis-normativity.
Yeah I'm waiting for the chess team of it's to clamor for equal treatment and sue for discrimination for not being recognized as an it. F'd world we reside in.

slugboy

Staff member

You have to provide a proportional number of participation opportunities based on the proportion of the student body. If your school is 60% female, you need 60% spaces for women’s sports.

Spending doesn’t have to be equal, but it does have to be “equitable”. I’m sure Joseph will lean heavily on the women’s locker room being inferior to the men’s, and the offices being different in quality, however.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions#dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk