AJC Article - MaChelle Joseph files lawsuit against Georgia Tech alleging sex discrimination

LibertyTurns

Banned
I hear that she and her legal team are reaching out to Ron Bell and his team for legal advice.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
You can not like the lawsuit but GT is not going to come out unscathed. It looked like a settlement months ago, maybe not as much now. Jury trials are not something you look forward to. Might as well belly up to the roulette wheel and take your chances.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping there was a settlement that would avoid this outcome. Any time you get into a suit like this that goes to a jury trial it is like playing craps. I am sure the AJC will find some more reasons to run pretty nasty articles about GT as this progresses to and through a trial. It isn't going to be pleasant even if GT wins in court.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am NOT a lawyer, but I AM involved in a legal situation where we are trying to negotiate a settlement. I will tell you that one of the negotiating options we hold as a card is the actual filing of the lawsuit. It doesn't mean it can't get settled. Doesn't mean it will or won't, but it does not guarantee a trial.

Let's watch and see what happens.

slugboy

Staff member
Reading what she alleges, my question is “why didn’t she go coach somewhere else?”

If you are a talented coach, and you have P5 head coaching experience on your resume, you should be able find a job in an environment you like with people you like.

I didn’t see in her allegations that she was subjected to personal abuse. I saw that facilities and budget were less than she wanted (and facilities were really sub par). Facilities make the best argument that she should have gotten something better. But it’s really the players who should have a better locker room. If we share a plan for that, her argument gets a lot weaker.

This seems like a hung jury kind of trial to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I was hoping there was a settlement that would avoid this outcome. Any time you get into a suit like this that goes to a jury trial it is like playing craps. I am sure the AJC will find some more reasons to run pretty nasty articles about GT as this progresses to and through a trial. It isn't going to be pleasant even if GT wins in court.
For sure , the ajc delites in articles casting Tech in a bad light! This story is just a followup to Alan Judds front page story Sunday about how shady Pastner was in his NCAA interview re: Bell. The ajc is all slime when it comes to Tech!

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m far from a Title IX expert and have no idea what the outcomes in similar legal cases were, but Title IX does allow justifiable differences in support between men & women’s programs. I read thru some of her lawsuit & GT’s going to have some difficulties there. I’d hate to be defending it.

The other angle is this internal feud apparently had been going on for 2-3 years. GT gave her a lot of time to collect evidence AND generate evidence. I’m not so sure that was a good move. She managed to accumulate a few good zingers.

Lastly, this is a civil suit. She just needs to convince a sympathetic jury that she’s half right or GT’s half wrong. She doesn’t need to have irrefutable evidence.

My money’s still on settlement. GT needs to get close to the number & put this saga in the rear view mirror. There’s ZERO upside here.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not an expert, but I think if GT did due diligence investigating the abuse complaints, she doesn't have much going for her. If a court were to rule that Title 9 requires dollar for dollar resource allocation, well, that would be quite a game changer.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Not an expert, but I think if GT did due diligence investigating the abuse complaints, she doesn't have much going for her. If a court were to rule that Title 9 requires dollar for dollar resource allocation, well, that would be quite a game changer.

Also not a Title IX expert, but I thought it was at least partially proportional in some outlays to your demographics. FSU is heavily female and needs to spend more on women’s sports. We’re majority male still, so there’s some skewing for that

If you were wondering why so many SEC schools spend big on women’s gymnastics, that’s a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
She is getting bad advice. When then is over she will regret going down this road.

Indeed. She isn’t just going after GTAA - but also Peterson and Ga BoR.

Maybe Joseph foolishly thinks she has nothing to lose.

Is she being told this is the best way to settle?

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

But certain politicians have instituted rules saying men can play in women’s sports - therefore, obviously, the opposite is also now true.

They have outthunk themselves and Title IX willing be coming to an end.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Who would hire her after this fiasco? If she wasn't unemployable after the firing, she is now. Guess she may as well shoot for the highest settlement possible under these circumstances.