AJC Article - Josh Pastner’s gives assessments of Georgia Tech newcomers

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Saba is gonna be atleast in the rotation for minutes. What we thinking, 10 mpg??

I really think Saba + Howard will combine for 30+ minutes a game. I just don't think we put Moses at the 5 most of the time. That's begging for foul trouble on him to me.

I expect it to be roughly even at least for a while. I think we might go Howard more if we feel we need more strength and bang down low. I think we might go Saba if we feel we can get away with having a little less physicality but more ability to draw a rim protector away.

I think we might go small with Moses at the 5 if the matchup favors it but I think that would only really occur against teams that lack or don't really play a true center and more or less go 5 out and bomb away from there. I don't think we can get away with that against most ACC teams.

GT_EE78

Banned
I really think Saba + Howard will combine for 30+ minutes a game. I just don't think we put Moses at the 5 most of the time. That's begging for foul trouble on him to me.

I expect it to be roughly even at least for a while. I think we might go Howard more if we feel we need more strength and bang down low. I think we might go Saba if we feel we can get away with having a little less physicality but more ability to draw a rim protector away.

I think we might go small with Moses at the 5 if the matchup favors it but I think that would only really occur against teams that lack or don't really play a true center and more or less go 5 out and bomb away from there. I don't think we can get away with that against most ACC teams.
i wonder if CJP will be reluctant, at least early on, to play Saba and Rodney together?
If so , that's more time with Jordan and Moses down low which should be ok in spots,
but they're both pretty thin so rebounding might be an issue

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
i wonder if CJP will be reluctant, at least early on, to play Saba and Rodney together?
If so , that's more time with Jordan and Moses down low which should be ok in spots,
but they're both pretty thin so rebounding might be an issue
I hope he is reluctant to play those 2 together. Not sure they fit in today's game. Middle would be full of centers on offense and any ACC coach is going to pick and roll/move those 2 all over the court with smaller players.

CJP has been devoted to a 2 post lineup throughout his tenure. That means one of them has to be a legit center on both ends of the court (especially D) to keep Moses at the 4. That is a big question mark in and on its own.

Deleted member 2897

I am pretty convinced that CJP ended up being less of the great recruiter he thought he might be, but better if a coach. I think the 1-and-done dynamic in basketball makes recruiting without solid results infinitely more difficult than football. Our big problem continues to actually be injuries. 5th place all alone last year and 4 top 150 guys on the court this year - everybody back but 1 guy. We should be good this year.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty convinced that CJP ended up being less of the great recruiter he thought he might be, but better if a coach. I think the 1-and-done dynamic in basketball makes recruiting without solid results infinitely more difficult than football. Our big problem continues to actually be injuries. 5th place all alone last year and 4 top 150 guys on the court this year - everybody back but 1 guy. We should be good this year.
But next year with who we got coming back will be a disaster.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But next year with who we got coming back will be a disaster.

Assuming all seniors leave but Devoe stays we have a the potential for a fairly solid line up coming back. Don't get too focused on what position I put the names or what order. Just more listing. I'm also going to act as if the non eligibility counting status doesn't exist because it gives a better idea of how much experience they actually have/will have.

PG - Sturdivant (Jr),
SG - Devoe (Sr), Maxwell (Soph)
SF - Moore (Sr), Kelly (Fr)
PF - Meka (Soph), Didenko (Sr)
C - Saba (Soph), Howard (Soph)

With room for a couple more recruits/transfers.

Devoe is a proven stud and Sturdivant and Kelly are both top 150 type of guys to go with him. Maxwell isn't quite as highly rated but there are a couple of legitimate (non gold tinted glasses related) reasons to believe he is underrated. First is he was mr. Basketball in the state of NC and the past 12 winners of that award were 4 or 5* top 150 types. The last one we received was Anthony Morrow for comparison. Those 4 guards alone make up a pretty well talented, if a bit unexperienced, group. We also have a good chance, final 3, to land Deebo Coleman who would really bolster our outside. Moore adds some more seniority, and while he was a bit disappointing last year he's a very good defender and could hopefully develop. With Kelly, Maxwell, and hopefully Coleman, along with Devoe, we might not need Moore to score as much and so the defense will be very useful. Obviously losing Jose would hurt. There is no way around the impact of losing a 4 year starting PG. But looking at that group above I don't see disaster in the back court. In fact, I see a lot of potential.

In the front court, with a year of working with coach Rev I think Saba and Howard will be more than ready to hold their own down low. So far we've more or less been getting by with one center the past 4 years and Rev has done wonders every year. There is no real reason to believe that position will be an issue in my opinion.

PF is where we look to be the least prepared. Meka is a good prospect and Pastner recently mentioned how he has surprised everyone in practice. His senior year started with an injury and that affected his ratings a good bit. How completely he recovered from that is something to keep in mind and we don't look to have much depth there, but his strength is defense and with long arms and good physical development all ready should allow him to contribute on that side as a sophomore.

Lastly, right now everyone looks at those names in the current time, but if we're talking about next season we're going to play them with an extra year of development, practice, and experience and it's hard to impossible to accurately predict what kind of changes (good or bad) will happen in the next year because of it.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Assuming all seniors leave but Devoe stays we have a the potential for a fairly solid line up coming back. Don't get too focused on what position I put the names or what order. Just more listing. I'm also going to act as if the non eligibility counting status doesn't exist because it gives a better idea of how much experience they actually have/will have.

PG - Sturdivant (Jr),

Devoe is a proven stud and Sturdivant and Kelly are both top 150 type of guys to go with him. Maxwell isn't quite as highly rated but there are a couple of legitimate (non gold tinted glasses related) reasons to believe he is underrated. First is he was mr. Basketball in the state of NC and the past 12 winners of that award were 4 or 5* top 150 types. The last one we received was Anthony Morrow for comparison. Those 4 guards alone make up a pretty well talented, if a bit unexperienced, group. We also have a good chance, final 3, to land Deebo Coleman who would really bolster our outside. Moore adds some more seniority, and while he was a bit disappointing last year he's a very good defender and could hopefully develop. With Kelly, Maxwell, and hopefully Coleman, along with Devoe, we might not need Moore to score as much and so the defense will be very useful. Obviously losing Jose would hurt. There is no way around the impact of losing a 4 year starting PG. But looking at that group above I don't see disaster in the back court. In fact, I see a lot of potential.

In the front court, with a year of working with coach Rev I think Saba and Howard will be more than ready to hold their own down low. So far we've more or less been getting by with one center the past 4 years and Rev has done wonders every year. There is no real reason to believe that position will be an issue in my opinion.

PF is where we look to be the least prepared. Meka is a good prospect and Pastner recently mentioned how he has surprised everyone in practice. His senior year started with an injury and that affected his ratings a good bit. How completely he recovered from that is something to keep in mind and we don't look to have much depth there, but his strength is defense and with long arms and good physical development all ready should allow him to contribute on that side as a sophomore.

Lastly, right now everyone looks at those names in the current time, but if we're talking about next season we're going to play them with an extra year of development, practice, and experience and it's hard to impossible to accurately predict what kind of changes (good or bad) will happen in the next year because of it.
That's it!!! And it ain't much! And I will say again that last year's team was one of the MOST FUN to watch!!

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck

PG - Sturdivant (Jr),

Great assessment and writeup! Based on this, areas of need seem to be PG and PF. I wouldn't mind seeing Meka redshirt if he is open to it. Deebo becomes more important as a recruit is he can provide minutes at PG.

BubbaP could reconsider coming back if he saw this as he would get plenty of playing time.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Great assessment and writeup! Based on this, areas of need seem to be PG and PF. I wouldn't mind seeing Meka redshirt if he is open to it. Deebo becomes more important as a recruit is he can provide minutes at PG.

BubbaP could reconsider coming back if he saw this as he would get plenty of playing time.
Really more need to redshirt Meka since he is already getting an extra year of eligibility.