AJ Gray and Jake Stickler medical redshirts

alagold

Helluva Engineer
IMO johnson will be more of a LB I don’t think he’s fast or agile enough for safety. That’s not a hit on him I just think he could be a fast OLB and be fitted better for that. IMO we will see carpenter and Campbell as the two starting safeties.

As for Gray and Stickler I hope everything goes well for them and wish them the best!

I agree on Johnson.He would be better at OLB and mainly for his size..He has some experience but there are several guys with more ability.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Both young men will be missed. Football is a sport. It’s temporary. As a parent I believe I watch a different game than most fans do. Parents have a vested interest in the future health of their son or daughter. I hate it anytime a player gets injured. I’m sad that AJ and Jake are going to miss next year. I’m thankful they will be GT grads and have healthy adult lives :). Coach Johnson was very clear when he was recruiting Will. He told him. “ use football don’t let football use you “. Those words of wisdom ring load and clear. AJ and Jake will “ get out” and have great memories and a great future. Both are some of the best young men you will ever meet. I’m heartbroken for them and their parents but so thankful they made the decision to be Jackets.
I'm not a parent, but I get what you mean about watching a different game. I remember watching Zach Laskey and thinking "Man, his parents must hate watching this. He gets hit by multiple guys on almost every play." As a former player, does knowing what those hits feel like make it easier to watch or harder to watch?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that this problem with AJ hadn't been found before now. I can see this kid as a coach someday if that is his desire to stay in FB. He appears to be the kind of kid that will be successful in whatever he choses to do. Glad he is a yellow jacket.

Earlier reports on AJ indicated that his condition was known and was being monitored. His condition recently changed to the point that it became much more problematic.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Earlier reports on AJ indicated that his condition was known and was being monitored. His condition recently changed to the point that it became much more problematic.

The article below has a detailed explanation of the issue:

http://www.augustachronicle.com/spo...ointed-that-heart-defect-ends-football-career

The link below discusses the condition in general related to sports. If it is known that an athlete has this condition, it is recommended that they check the size of the aorta yearly. There are some limits in this article that are close to what I have seen in other articles, so they are probably correct.(I'm not a doctor)

http://www.athletesheart.org/2013/09/more-on-athletes-and-bicuspid-aortic/

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Follow-up on A.J.

Georgia Tech’s A.J. Gray moves on into life’s next chapter

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...gatech&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gatech_fb

Great outcome to an unfortunate situation. Also insane that it was Tech research that found his condition. Wishing him and Stickler the best!

As a member of the Yellow Jackets football team, he [Gray] became part of a sports cardiology research project led by Emory professor Jonathan Kim (also Tech’s team cardiologist). In it, players undergo extensive screening and imaging as freshmen. As a result, Gray’s condition was flagged and monitored, ultimately leading to his medical disqualification.

Gray said he thinks all the time about that change in his life’s path, one that may have saved his life.

“Crazy,” Allen Gray said. “He’s supposed to have been at Tech all along.”

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
One interesting side note is that he almost came to UNC and his sister was on the WBB team there. She transferred out to USCe during the AFAM scandle. Turns out WBB was really into those classes through one of the administrators. I was surprised the coach was retained.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One interesting side note is that he almost came to UNC and his sister was on the WBB team there. She transferred out to USCe during the AFAM scandle. Turns out WBB was really into those classes through one of the administrators. I was surprised the coach was retained.
I know that you just forwarded some information. I just have no idea what.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

I randomly watched his sister play in a WNBA game I happened to end up going to at Mohegan Sun in CT. She was a baller!