Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah and i also thought AB had some Broderick Snoddy to him being faster than quick. He didn’t look well with the ball in his hand in the open field or on screens
I tend to agree. It is weird though because without the ball in his hand he showed glimpses of really good body control when adjusting to passes and making catches.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah and i also thought AB had some Broderick Snoddy to him being faster than quick. He didn’t look well with the ball in his hand in the open field or on screens
The OC publically disagreed just a few weeks ago:

Referring to Brown, “I also think that you’ve got to find ways to get him the ball underneath,” Patenaude said. “Dump him the ball, screen him the ball, throw him a little shallow, maybe hand it to him. He’s just too dynamic, he’s too athletic.”

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The OC publically disagreed just a few weeks ago:

Referring to Brown, “I also think that you’ve got to find ways to get him the ball underneath,” Patenaude said. “Dump him the ball, screen him the ball, throw him a little shallow, maybe hand it to him. He’s just too dynamic, he’s too athletic.”

We literally did all that this season

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
He didn’t show much YAC ability but he was a hell of a deep threat. Unfortunately that’s where Sims really struggled this season. Really bummed to see him go. At least we have a couple of really talented guys coming in at the position.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Interesting point that I never thought about. AB could get open as good as anybody but.... once he got the ball (assuming he wasn't in the endzone), how many yards after the catch? Looking back, seems like not that many.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Hate to see him go, but I think our the fan's perception of him is a little skewed based on last year. With Graham at QB, it seemed like the best option for pass plays were the 40 yard bombs. AB was excellent at getting open on those. I think this year's scheme is more like what CDP wants to do: fewer over the top shots, and more of an intermediate pass game. From what I understand, AB is relatively small for a P5 team, which makes him less effective in traffic. I'm not sure he was even targeted more than 15 times this year. Hope he can find a great downfield passing offense to show out in!

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
We literally did all that this season
No, we literally did not. In 7 games, we threw 0 screens to Brown, 3 passes in the flats, and one drag route across the line of scrimmage. All other completions were deep down the sideline or 10 yards down field across the middle. He also had two rushes. **I couldn't find video for one play against BC.

I went through the team stats and compared it to video of our games. We ran one pass play all year that was specifically designed to get Brown the ball in space. The 7th game against Notre Dame. That's not how you game plan to get the ball to a player that's "too athletic" and "too dynamic" to not get the ball more.

Here are the plays Brown was targeted in the passing game. These are descriptions of the routes b/c with camera angles I couldn't always see exactly what route he was running.

FSU:
Completion: Brown deep slant on low throw by Sims, diving catch.
Completion: Crossing route completion in heavy coverage, tackled immediately.
Incompletion: Sims overthrow out route
Incompletion: Out route to the sideline, dropped by Brown after contact from DB.
Completion: Out route to the sideline.

UCF:
Completion: Crossing route.
Incompletion: Corner route, bad overthrow by Sims.
Incompletion: Deep route, bad overthrow by Sims.
Incompletion: Deep route, pass interference.
Incompletion: Crossing route, heavy coverage.

Syracuse:
Incompletion: Deep corner route, bad underthrow by Sims.
Completion: Deep route.
Incompletion: Crossing route, bad underthrow by Sims.

Louisville:

Clemson:
Completion: Busted play, missed block, make something happen completion.
Incompletion: Deep pass, bad overthrow by Sims.

BC:
Completion: Deep crossing route, late throw from Sims leads to immediate tackle.
Completion: Deep route, TD.
Completion: Short completion, no video.
Incompletion: 10 yard out route to the goal line.
Completion: Deep comeback route.

Notre Dame:
Completion: Drag route across line of scrimmage.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins didn't inherit a "middling" G5 roster. We're getting our asses beat by teams we out recruited over the past 4 years.
Out recruited by taking mostly 3 star RBs and athletes. Our line recruiting was bad. Very bad. Same with LBs and QBs. IIWII

If you want a more recent coaching comp, how about Matt Rhule at Temple and Baylor? 2 mediocre to bad years and a jump in year 3. Why? Because he changed the culture and was able to recruit what he needed. Essentially what we’re watching. Can Collins do they same... I don’t know but I’ll support him until I’m sure he can’t.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Out recruited by taking mostly 3 star RBs and athletes. Our line recruiting was bad. Very bad. Same with LBs and QBs. IIWII

If you want a more recent coaching comp, how about Matt Rhule at Temple and Baylor? 2 mediocre to bad years and a jump in year 3. Why? Because he changed the culture and was able to recruit what he needed. Essentially what we’re watching. Can Collins do they same... I don’t know but I’ll support him until I’m sure he can’t.
Really, Rhule is your other comparison? The guy whose performance Collins couldn't match at Temple?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
No, we literally did not. In 7 games, we threw 0 screens to Brown, 3 passes in the flats, and one drag route across the line of scrimmage. All other completions were deep down the sideline or 10 yards down field across the middle. He also had two rushes. **I couldn't find video for one play against BC.

I went through the team stats and compared it to video of our games. We ran one pass play all year that was specifically designed to get Brown the ball in space. The 7th game against Notre Dame. That's not how you game plan to get the ball to a player that's "too athletic" and "too dynamic" to not get the ball more.

Here are the plays Brown was targeted in the passing game. These are descriptions of the routes b/c with camera angles I couldn't always see exactly what route he was running.

FSU:
Completion: Brown deep slant on low throw by Sims, diving catch.
Completion: Crossing route completion in heavy coverage, tackled immediately.
Incompletion: Sims overthrow out route
Incompletion: Out route to the sideline, dropped by Brown after contact from DB.
Completion: Out route to the sideline.

UCF:
Completion: Crossing route.
Incompletion: Corner route, bad overthrow by Sims.
Incompletion: Deep route, bad overthrow by Sims.
Incompletion: Deep route, pass interference.
Incompletion: Crossing route, heavy coverage.

Syracuse:
Incompletion: Deep corner route, bad underthrow by Sims.
Incompletion: Crossing route, bad underthrow by Sims.

Louisville:

Clemson:
Completion: Busted play, missed block, make something happen completion.
Incompletion: Deep pass, bad overthrow by Sims.

BC:
Completion: Deep crossing route, late throw from Sims leads to immediate tackle.
Completion: Deep route, TD.
Completion: Short completion, no video.
Incompletion: 10 yard out route to the goal line.
Completion: Deep comeback route.

Notre Dame:
Completion: Drag route across line of scrimmage.

Is this your final answer?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What's hilarious is all the guys who bragged about AB as a WR and CGC for recruiting him suddenly pointing out all the flaws they see in AB's game. Matches all of the excuse buying we've been seeing.