Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember him openly criticizing on twitter that Graham was not getting his shot at QB. Probably has a lot to do with that.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Damn. That stings. We need a guy that can stretch the field. Hopefully Haynes can replicate what AB did his freshman year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I'm not really surprised. He was visibly frustrated a few times during games this season and his production is half of what it was last year even though our QB play is better. Outside of football, could be other things going on as well...but from a football standpoint it's not a shocker to me.

It really wasn't half of what it was last year. Last year he averaged 1.75 catches per game and about 33 yard per game. This year he averaged 1.57 catches per game and 26 yards per game. A drop off but not half. And that is probably due to Camp returning and being our #1 target this year along with Sims being more inclined to connect on the short to mid passes rather than the deep passes.

Sucks to lose him as I thought he had a lot of potential to build on. I thought a bit too much was made of the freshman TD record (Because his year really wasn't at all comparable to Calvin's freshman year which isn't a slight on Brown), but I thought he would have made a great #2 or #3 option in the passing game going forward.

Hope the family health situation gets sorted out and he finds success wherever he lands up.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It took Beamer 8 years to build something at VT. It took Dabo about 3 years to mold an already talented roster into what they've become. Bobby Bowden did not build FSU overnight. I'm not advocating that CGC is a great coach yet, but putting him on the hot seat next year is silly. He inherited a middling G5 roster and fans expect instant results.
The only recent coach you mentioned is Dabo, who won 9 games and reached the ACC title in his first full year as a coach. He had a down second year, but promptly won 10 games in his third.

At FSU, Bowden took over a program that had gone 4-29 in it's previous 3 years, and he won 10 games in his second year.

For Beamer, you left out that VT was transitioning into the Big East from an Independent and subsequently more money began to flow into the program. That's not happening at Tech. No huge budget increase is coming in the next 5-7 years.

Collins didn't inherit a "middling" G5 roster. We're getting our asses beat by teams we out recruited over the past 4 years.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It really wasn't half of what it was last year. Last year he averaged 1.75 catches per game and about 33 yard per game. This year he averaged 1.57 catches per game and 26 yards per game. A drop off but not half. And that is probably due to Camp returning and being our #1 target this year along with Sims being more inclined to connect on the short to mid passes rather than the deep passes.

Sucks to lose him as I thought he had a lot of potential to build on. I thought a bit too much was made of the freshman TD record (Because his year really wasn't at all comparable to Calvin's freshman year which isn't a slight on Brown), but I thought he would have made a great #2 or #3 option in the passing game going forward.

Hope the family health situation gets sorted out and he finds success wherever he lands up.

I don't think we utilized him the best ways either but just my opinion.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we utilized him the best ways either but just my opinion.

True but a big part of that though is he was at his best on deep routes, and we had trouble blocking long enough for those to develop. Last year Graham's strength, passing, was the deep ball so that meshed well well with Brown's ability but this year Sim's strength is the intermediate game which isn't where Brown is the best at. Now maybe you mean just game planning the entire offense around him like trying to get him more touches on jet sweeps or stuff like that. I think he was good, but not that level. Gibbs is that level. Nobody else on the team really is though. We need to, and have, gameplanned around getting Gibbs touches in any way. Otherwise we've gameplanned around our QB which makes the most sense.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I suppose it takes a lot for any player to get comfortable, deal with school, injuries and family health issues AND THEN essentially have to wait on a brand new quarterback to start his adjustments to the college game.

im certainly not critical of him for doing what he needs to do but players these days, like most of society, want to feel as if they are progressing. If I remember correctly he broke or tied Calvin Johnson’s fist year TD total. Gotta be hard having to deal with this years stat line.

I imagine that these transfers are like a real life break up‘s where you hate to move on, you struggle with the decision but you just ain’t feeling it anymore. I still care about you, thank you for being so good to me but I gotta move on.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
As GT fans we always assume the worse no matter what. There are a multitude of reasons a player may want to transfer. No sense in jumping to conclusions. Are we really calling out an individual coach because one player transferred? Brown was a good player for us but he is not irreplaceable. GT will be fine. I wish the young man success wherever he ends up.