Adonicas Sanders has entered the transfer portal

JacketFan137

Banned
Outside of Gibbs, I can’t think of an impact player that we’ve lost to the portal. We’ve lost a couple players that played minutes but I’m not sure they are irreplaceable or really change the outlook of the team. Adonicas played solid for us but we need the young receivers to step up and be an upgrade over the departing players.
mason was big a loss to me and that one hurt but RBs are typically only effective as their blocking so with any sort of improvement in the o line i think dontae can pick up that slack.

sanders showed flashes but he’s been here for a long time, and we’ve yet to see him emerge as any sort of alpha receiver. if blackburn is healthy next year i think he’ll be a bigger head turner

at the end of the day i think the doom and gloom around our transfer portal guys is quite overblown. gibbs is the only one who’s drawn real interest from major programs. i think the rest are gonna end up at the FCS level or lower end of g5 at best

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm trying to stay positive, but we've lost our top offensive and defensive players and most of our best receivers in the portal. Lots of whistling in the dark around here.
I hope somebody's going to step up, but we'll see. I really liked Adonicas.
Can you tell us all which “best player” on defense we lost to the portal?

As far as I know, Domineck and Ivey are still here. Losing Quez will hurt but he’s going into the draft.

Griffin is the only defensive player we’ve lost to the portal that had any meaningful contribution to my knowledge and he’s not irreplaceable by any means. Solid player, but stayed hurt and a bit undersized. Though he could be disruptive.

I liked Sanders too but he’s not irreplaceable either. He made some plays but also disappeared for several games at the time.

Losing Gibbs hurts real bad. He was the best player to enter the portal by far.

Outside of that, we’ve done significantly better bringing guys in versus what we’ve lost via the portal. At least on paper.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Outside of that, we’ve done significantly better bringing guys in versus what we’ve lost via the portal. At least on paper.

That's been the problem with this staff. Too much has looked good on paper, but little has actually translated to success.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you this miserable in real life?
Lol. I wouldn’t have stated it like Jerry did, but I think the point he was making (which I agree with) was that talent has not been the issue. We could definitely use upgrades in places, but it’s not the reason we won only 3 games. We have made some changes on the coaching side of the ball so hopefully I am right.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Sanders was OK, but we have got to find receivers who are better than OK. I think we have some who will step up this year. Think Blackburn, Blackstrain, Moore, Rutherford, Hayes, King, and possibly Bonner.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
mason was big a loss to me and that one hurt but RBs are typically only effective as their blocking so with any sort of improvement in the o line i think dontae can pick up that slack.

sanders showed flashes but he’s been here for a long time, and we’ve yet to see him emerge as any sort of alpha receiver. if blackburn is healthy next year i think he’ll be a bigger head turner

at the end of the day i think the doom and gloom around our transfer portal guys is quite overblown. gibbs is the only one who’s drawn real interest from major programs. i think the rest are gonna end up at the FCS level or lower end of g5 at best
I suspect you are right.

On the other hand I would estimate that 95% of all transfers go to a lower ranked school. How many Alabama players transferred to uga? How many uga players did they lose?

So with just a few exceptions players are going to where the grass is greener and greener grass means more playing time. More playing time means less competitive teams and rosters.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Why? He graduated with a degree in Business Administration. A Master's degree at Tech in his field (MBA) is probably not in the cards. I would expect most BA grads with eligibility left to transfer. This isn't a knock on GT nor a statement from Sanders. It might just be what it is.

I think it was tongue in cheek but I'd also be curious how graduating/outgoing players felt about their last 3 years. Though we'll probably never hear all the details if they care about not burning bridges.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I wouldn’t have stated it like Jerry did, but I think the point he was making (which I agree with) was that talent has not been the issue. We could definitely use upgrades in places, but it’s not the reason we won only 3 games. We have made some changes on the coaching side of the ball so hopefully I am right.
I understand what you're saying and I understand what he meant. Sometimes it's better just to not comment (I do that all the time) than to make a passing swipe at the program. Not constructive. Just my opinion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think it was tongue in cheek but I'd also be curious how graduating/outgoing players felt about their last 3 years. Though we'll probably never hear all the details if they care about not burning bridges.
I think every graduating or leaving player should have an exit interview. It's a good quality control check. But the intent of the comment seemed to be pretty clear.