2019 GT Official Color Debate (formerly Adidas Swag Watch 2019 **

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is the gold used in the graphics on this board the "old gold" you refer to?

You really are going to take us down this rabbit hole, aren't you? :) The gold used as graphics on this site is the new "Tech Gold", I believe.

This is closer, and this gold on white uni numbers could easily be seen, but ultimately, it is not a huge deal. I just don't think what makes GT unique is blue or black.

2b9d5df3d803108b72c10bf9dfe26b83--atlanta-georgia-college.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-16_7-56-24.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-16_7-56-24.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
FYI

What always (or at least should have) made GT unique was the "Old Gold", not the secondary color. To me, the "gold" we chose for "Tech Gold" is not much different, at least as you see it on the field, than WF or UCF or Vandy, etc.

I know, I know - we can't go down this rabbit hole again. ;)

You are correct. However ... it is very difficult to produce Old Gold consistently. That’s why it’s not a great color to use in swag.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Go down this path very far at all and we will have unis and helmets with alternating black and yellow stripes. See multiple Oregon alternatives for similar philosophies.

The funny thing about this is that the term "Yellow Jackets" refers not to an insect, but rather, to a woman's jacket. I suppose GTAA could drop Buzz and put in a silouette of a jacket and problem solved.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The funny thing about this is that the term "Yellow Jackets" refers not to an insect, but rather, to a woman's jacket. I suppose GTAA could drop Buzz and put in a silouette of a jacket and problem solved.

It was actually letterman type jackets worn by our players. The Agnes Scott girls wore sweaters.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It was actually letterman type jackets worn by our players. The Agnes Scott girls wore sweaters.

We probably need one of Tech's cracker jack archivists to weigh in. I understood that it was a girls' school (can't remember definitively that is was Agnes Scott, but probably was) who attended in their uniforms, which featured a "yellow jacket".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought that we were called Georgia Tech “Golden Tornado” originally, and people showed up to the games wearing yellow jackets to support the team.. and that’s how we got our name

Would LOVE to see a throwback "Golden Tornado" night with special Adidas unis to match the theme. Have the crowd wear gold to the game.

Always loved the "Golden Tornado" nickname for us.

We probably need one of Tech's cracker jack archivists to weigh in. I understood that it was a girls' school (can't remember definitively that is was Agnes Scott, but probably was) who attended in their uniforms, which featured a "yellow jacket".
I tried to find some mention of it in "Dress Her in White and Gold", but the book's too long to just scan through looking for specifics. Pretty sure it's in that book somewhere though. I don't remember ever hearing about anyone wearing "uniforms" with a yellow jacket on them though.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
GT wore navy jerseys vs. Georgia in 1981. Don't know if GT ever wore navy jerseys before that time, but then, in 1987, as Curry moved on and Ross took over, navy became our home jersey. Also in the mix was an NCAA rule stating the home team could not wear white. Fortunately, that rule got changed.

GT wore navy jerseys vs. Georgia in 1981. Don't know if GT ever wore navy jerseys before that time, but then, in 1987, as Curry moved on and Ross took over, navy became our home jersey. Also in the mix was an NCAA rule stating the home team could not wear white. Fortunately, that rule got changed.
Looking at the video of that game, it's really hard to tell if those were navy jerseys or black jerseys. I know we wore black jerseys for the "black watch" defense, but that was more like 1985. I don't remember navy jerseys until the late 80s, due mostly to the stupid NCAA rule against light colored jerseys for home teams. We wore blue jerseys at times during the 40s, most notably in Athens in 1942, when Dodd, filling in for a sick Alexander, took the number one team in the country in there and got walloped by the mutts. After that one game, they should have never worn them again.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I thought that we were called Georgia Tech “Golden Tornado” originally, and people showed up to the games wearing yellow jackets to support the team.. and that’s how we got our name

I think you are mostly right. Here's the Blurb from Tech Traditions:

The story behind our Yellow Jacket symbol dates back to the early 1900’s when our first athletic teams were fielded. They had yet to choose an official name so sports writers had taken to giving us nicknames such as The Engineers, the Blacksmiths, the Techs, and the Golden Tornadoes, but the school didn’t officially take up any of these names. It was actually actual yellow jackets that our fans wore in support of our team that gave us the name we go by now. The term Yellow Jackets was used to describe our fans, and in 1905, John Heisman declared that he wanted our team to be known as the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the video of that game, it's really hard to tell if those were navy jerseys or black jerseys. I know we wore black jerseys for the "black watch" defense, but that was more like 1985. I don't remember navy jerseys until the late 80s, due mostly to the stupid NCAA rule against light colored jerseys for home teams. We wore blue jerseys at times during the 40s, most notably in Athens in 1942, when Dodd, filling in for a sick Alexander, took the number one team in the country in there and got walloped by the mutts. After that one game, they should have never worn them again.

Exactly. If we were wearing navy at any time in the early 80's, it was so dark, it appeared black. Of course, the TVs at the time had very low definition, so who knows? But, I can honestly say the stuff at the Book Store back then had black trim mainly, and I thought that black was our trim color.