Addressing the Vad Lee situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
The scheme would work with the right players (see 2008-2009).

As far as me not being high on the recruiting abilities, I would say the proof is on the field. Where's derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, Morgan Burnett, bebe, Calvin, Dwyer, etc

Trending 08-09 were good, what were 10, 11, 12, 13-- what's the trajectory?

The scheme would work well with the right players

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I have a question. Your tag line indicates you are GT Athlete. If I assume you are a current player then I wonder if your attitude reflects the attitude of your team mates? I don't mean this as a confrontational question but would like to have an idea of the mindset of the team.
I played for GOL not CPJ

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Look man, I don't want to get into an argument online...it's useless...but here's the deal. We've made some changes to our program that should improve things:
  1. Change in the D-coordinator
  2. Overhaul in the recruiting structure
  3. New majors to attract recruits
That kind of stuff takes time to see the impact. You can't just expect it to get better over night. If we had a better defense in 2011 and 2012 we're probably much happier right now...in fact, 2012 is a 10-win season with this year's defense.

Generally speaking, recruits take 2-3 years before you see their impact. We got to see one highly touted recruit's impact this year...and it left a lot to be desired. Sometimes guys just don't pan out...when that happens it makes coaches look bad.

I know 2 wins against FCS is nothing to be proud of, but it's not like we're losing to teams that are bad teams. Let's say we put two FBS teams on the roster like Kentucky and Cal (or even Tulane) and we smoke them...does it make you feel better?

Here's the deal...at 7 wins with PJ I feel much better about our occasional 10 wins seasons than I did with Chan. We've either won or tied for the division three out of his six seasons. He's got us in the hunt for the conference every year.

Let's see what happens in a year...if we crap out next year with 7 wins I might change my opinion, but right now I'm not ready to give up on 'em because one guy didn't pan out and the offense looked like crap this year.

Let's stay optimistic. Remember..."Think you're lucky and you will be" - Bobby Dodd

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The scheme would work with the right players (see 2008-2009).

As far as me not being high on the recruiting abilities, I would say the proof is on the field. Where's derrick Morgan, Michael Johnson, Morgan Burnett, bebe, Calvin, Dwyer, etc

Trending 08-09 were good, what were 10, 11, 12, 13-- what's the trajectory?

The scheme would work well with the right players
I agree with everything you've said. I think the trajectory for 10-13 has been pretty flat. I think this has been a reflection of the recruiting from the earlier years. I think we're starting to recruit better (not good enough yet), so I think we'll start to trend up (slightly). As we recruit better, the slope will increase with the level of recruiting. If we don't get better at recruiting, we'll not get significantly better and THIS Spread-Option experiment will end.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with everything you've said. I think the trajectory for 10-13 has been pretty flat. I think this has been a reflection of the recruiting from the earlier years. I think we're starting to recruit better (not good enough yet), so I think we'll start to trend up (slightly). As we recruit better, the slope will increase with the level of recruiting. If we don't get better at recruiting, we'll not get significantly better and THIS Spread-Option experiment will end.
We are recuiting better and now is not the time to want a coaching change. If we continue to change coaches every 5 years, then recruiting will continue to be an issue. It has been said many times before, but we are not pulling in 4 and 5 start recruits due to our unique disadvantages and it seems to take coaches a few years to realize this and make changes to their recruiting practices. I believe CPJ is on the right track with recruiting now.

Matt E

GT Athlete
We are recuiting better and now is not the time to want a coaching change. If we continue to change coaches every 5 years, then recruiting will continue to be an issue. It has been said many times before, but we are not pulling in 4 and 5 start recruits due to our unique disadvantages and it seems to take coaches a few years to realize this and make changes to their recruiting practices. I believe CPJ is on the right track with recruiting now.

I will reserve judgement on the how much we are improving recruiting based on how we close the next 6 weeks.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Reminder - Most of the times when we have changed coaches, it is followed by a couple of awful years, transfers, and attrition.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Reminder - Most of the times when we have changed coaches, it is followed by a couple of awful years, transfers, and attrition.
Let's see are we making excuses or what?

GOL took over a 5-6, 5-6, 1-10 team and had us in the top 25 by year 3 for 5 consecutive years (97-01)

Gailey took over a team that had been ranked in top 25 for 5 years in a row and proceeded to never finish a season in the top 25 despite having the best WR in college football

Paul took over a team that had multiple NFL players and was successful until they left after 09. He has done worse with his recruits vs what he inherited.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nate- you played with Joe Ham. He was just hired this year to our NEW recruiting staff b/c the new AD finally gave PJ the $ to hire a recruiting staff. It has helped this year as it's probably PJ's best class and early word is that it is really helping with 2015 guys. We all can agree our talent needs to improve more than anything.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I will reserve judgement on the how much we are improving recruiting based on how we close the next 6 weeks.

Less than 5 weeks...32 days! Coming quick.

Dead period ends the 17th if I remember correct.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let's see are we making excuses or what?

GOL took over a 5-6, 5-6, 1-10 team and had us in the top 25 by year 3 for 5 consecutive years (97-01)

Gailey took over a team that had been ranked in top 25 for 5 years in a row and proceeded to never finish a season in the top 25 despite having the best WR in college football

Paul took over a team that had multiple NFL players and was successful until they left after 09. He has done worse with his recruits vs what he inherited.

Not exactly the same though. GOL left Tech after the '91 season and returned as D-coordinator in the '94 season. It's not like he was completely absent from the program. Based on what I've seen in the world of recruiting, I would have to assume that he helped recruit many of the players that were on the '94 team, and had already been in contact with many of the players he signed in the few years to follow. That gives him a bit of a leg up on anyone new coming in.

Chan was a good recruiter, but I'm hesitant to say he was great. It's not like we were signing top 20 classes every year, he just happened to land some big-time players in there...but if you look back, most of those NFL guys were not top-tier prospects coming out of high school. Look back at the 2002, 2003, and 2004 classes on Rivals. Clavin was a 4-star, not a 5, and he turned out the be one of the greatest to ever play here...look at the other 4-star guys from those classes though...did any of them go to the NFL?

The truth of the matter is that outside of the 2007 class, most of our NFL talent did not arrive at Tech with many expectations of getting to that level.

To this point, Paul's recruiting classes have not produced great results...I have to agree. However, 2011 and 2012 are basically the results of his first two classes. If we're going to give Paul credit for winning seasons in '08 and '09 with recruits that Chan signed in his 6th year as coach, shouldn't we give Paul's sixth year recruiting class a chance for the same success?

As mentioned in a previous post, coaching changes hurts recruiting. Changing coaches right now would hurt our classes over the next few seasons, but perhaps another coach would come in and win with the 6th and 7th year classes of PJ...then a few years later you might hear: "Yeah, but he's winning with Paul Johnson's recruits."

Roof will help get some studs on defense. Coupling that with the changes to the recruiting staff, let's just give it a few more years and see how it pans out with the recruiting classes he's pulled and is continuing to pull after his first two seasons.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, I think in 2014 our talent will look VERY similar to 2008-2009. Custis, Waller & Autry, and improved ol, and a defense w another year under Ted Roof. And it's Jimmies & Joes, mr. master prognosticator...

Well Mr Lombardi there are 12 starters from Nashville that are leaving. Have we become a football factory and I didn't realize it. Next year's team will be worse.

Johnnies and Joe's, Jimmies and Joe's, hell, Ricky and Cal, it doesn't really matter what you call them, without NFL caliber players on the field we are destined to be 6-6.

gtdrew

Banned
Well Mr Lombardi there are 12 starters from Nashville that are leaving. Have we become a football factory and I didn't realize it. Next year's team will be worse.

Johnnies and Joe's, Jimmies and Joe's, hell, Ricky and Cal, it doesn't really matter what you call them, without NFL caliber players on the field we are destined to be 6-6.
You're wrong. You don't need a team laden with future NFL players to rise above 6-6. I venture to guess that no more than 2-3 players from this year's Duke team will end up pros, and they went 10-2. Conversely, UNC, a roster swelling with NFL talent, had a worse season than we did. x/o's are just as important, and anyone who says otherwise is plain wrong. Sorry you don't like it, but it doesn't make it less true.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
GOL was my all time favorite HC...I was in the vast minority of Tech fans who wanted to bring him back after the ND debacle. Our A-hole AD....and the majority of fans wouldn't consider it. Had we swallowed a tiny bit of pride (hurt over GOL spurning GT for ND) we would have had a much more successful program up to this day and might be only worried about when good old George might decide to retire...oh well.
GOL had his problems and detractors back then too let's not forget..."great offenses and crappy D and his specialty is the D!"....remember?
CPJ is a close second to me...what he does WORKS, though I admit I thought our results the last 2 years would have been a bit better. His only sure definable weakness IMO us recruiting and I think we are getting closer there. (How different would things be if we had managed to swing Tuitt...we were oh so close. Tuitt n Gotsis at DT with sneezy at DE this year...that ONE player could have swung each of our losses our way.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
O'Leary's defenses were horrible! If he did not have the Fridge to bail him out on offense, his record would be on the negative side of Hades. I often used the phrase in favor of the Fridge, "He aint my brother, he is just heavy". I am sure you remember me using that phrase on the Hive. I and most others liked the Fridge, but GOL was not the catalyst for winning, it was the Fridge. Now, I am glad GOL is winning at UCF, and I hope he continues, but I never want him back at Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.