Addressing the Vad Lee situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes if we recruit the likes of Tommie Frazier, Lawrence Phillips, and the Nebraska off line

Wow, my first thought after reading that was that the only way Law. Phillips makes it onto the Tech campus would be to rob someone. :eek: I need to self-ban for a while. :sorry:

BranMart

Georgia Tech Fan
Tell that to Nebraska. We can win a NC, we have to go undefeated just like every other team that isn't in the SEC.

Zenon only returned kicks because Golden is injured. <- Fact.
We are not Nebraska. It ain't the 90's. We will never go undefeated because we can't score on a d with talent... No body looking to the NFL wants to run this crap.

BranMart

Georgia Tech Fan
Stop it please. Any person out there that has one inkling of a dream of a national championship for Georgia Tech is in need of immediate help. But what is wrong with hoping for and expecting that we have a program that can win the Coastal now and then and go to a major bowl once in awhile? NC, no.
What is wrong with wanting a team that has a chance at winning a National Championship. Why are we playing the game then.\?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

BranMart

Georgia Tech Fan
Funny, Tevin ran the offense effectively. Didn't have a defense to back him up. WRT bowl performances, EVERY team has time to prepare to stop EVERY offensive scheme. The playoff "committee" for the most part is going to be of no consequence. For the most part, they will decide the 4th to make the cut. The way to play for the NC is the same way Tech won it the last time they did......go undefeated.
There will always be personal bias, national bias against this scheme. If it comes down to in or out with this O we are out. We are not going undefeated, because we can't beat VT, UGA, MIAMI, and CLEMSON consistently. We may get lucky and beat 2 0r 3 of them in one year, but if we are being voted on with the one loss we are not getting in. As long as that perception, whether valid or not, is there that time gives an advantage, we are not getting in.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There will always be personal bias, national bias against this scheme. If it comes down to in or out with this O we are out. We are not going undefeated, because we can't beat VT, UGA, MIAMI, and CLEMSON consistently. We may get lucky and beat 2 0r 3 of them in one year, but if we are being voted on with the one loss we are not getting in. As long as that perception, whether valid or not, is there that time gives an advantage, we are not getting in.
It takes a special team to go undefeated, period. There is absolutely no reason, with our schedule and the level of our competition, we could not have one of those special seasons. It may not happen, but it's certainly in the rhelm of feasibility. There was not a single team we played this year that we could not have beaten. There were two games I felt we really weren't in (BYU and Clemson), but I think we could have beaten either of those teams. That's with a limping offense and a improving defense.

Do I think it's likely that we win a MNC soon, probably not. But it's also not likely that many other schools are either. We have to get better. We've stopped losing those head-scratching games (with one exception), now we need to find a way to overcome some of those teams we're not necessarily supposed to beat. We start doing that and we'll get better Press, which means better recruits, which means better teams, which means better chances at going undefeated.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Man, I'm tired of all the negativity...dude, you don't watch enough football. Our scheme is damn well good enough to where if we get a set of players that we can get in the top 4 at the end of the season (and starting in 2014, that means a chance at the National Championship).

One thing is true...we are not Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, or Michigan...but guess what, neither is anyone else. Most schools will NEVER be as good as we are in football right now.

Winning 7, 8, and 9 games a year is a good thing. That's a healthy program...teams that do that consistently are the teams that breakthrough in 2-3 year stretches with 10 & 11 win seasons.

I understand that you want to win the National Championship every year...that's awesome, but unrealistic.

The truth is this...the last few seasons have been brutal. We lost five games that I can think of off the top of my head that were just awful: Utah '11, VT '12, Miami '12, VT '13, and ugag '13. If two of those went the other way, and we had won a close game, would you feel better?

Do you remember 2008 and 2009, where it was just the opposite? Close/Miracle wins: ugag '08, Wake Forest '08, FSU '08, Clemson '09 (twice!), FSU '09, VT '09, Wake Forest '09

This season was rough...we should have been better...but that's just football. PJ is a good coach. Remember that only two other coaches EVER have won 11+ games in season at Georgia Tech: Bobby Dodd and Bobby Ross.

If we win 9 games next year, beat ugag, lose to FSU in the ACCcg and win a bowl game to get 10 wins, what do you say?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Man, I'm tired of all the negativity...dude, you don't watch enough football. Our scheme is damn well good enough to where if we get a set of players that we can get in the top 4 at the end of the season (and starting in 2014, that means a chance at the National Championship).

One thing is true...we are not Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, or Michigan...but guess what, neither is anyone else. Most schools will NEVER be as good as we are in football right now.

Winning 7, 8, and 9 games a year is a good thing. That's a healthy program...teams that do that consistently are the teams that breakthrough in 2-3 year stretches with 10 & 11 win seasons.

I understand that you want to win the National Championship every year...that's awesome, but unrealistic.

The truth is this...the last few seasons have been brutal. We lost five games that I can think of off the top of my head that were just awful: Utah '11, VT '12, Miami '12, VT '13, and ugag '13. If two of those went the other way, and we had won a close game, would you feel better?

Do you remember 2008 and 2009, where it was just the opposite? Close/Miracle wins: ugag '08, Wake Forest '08, FSU '08, Clemson '09 (twice!), FSU '09, VT '09, Wake Forest '09

This season was rough...we should have been better...but that's just football. PJ is a good coach. Remember that only two other coaches EVER have won 11+ games in season at Georgia Tech: Bobby Dodd and Bobby Ross.

If we win 9 games next year, beat ugag, lose to FSU in the ACCcg and win a bowl game to get 10 wins, what do you say?

Thanks for the great post - a little sanity in a day full of insanity!

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
What's flawed here is we had 2 FCS wins this year
Our division 1 record was 5-6.

How come 08-09 were good and we haven't had a year like those since?
I give 2 reasons
1- we lack the difference makers/talent
2- our option isn't taking anyone by surprise like it did then

We can change. Point 1 .
Will it change? How can it change ?

The Dwyer class was after flunkgate. Therefore any of those kids we can get now but we don't. We just don't have a good staff at recruiting.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow

Well said.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I give 2 reasons

We can change. Point 1 .

The Dwyer class was after flunkgate. Therefore any of those kids we can get now but we don't. We just don't have a good staff at recruiting.
I agree with both of these points. Based on others observations, we're now getting the upper 3* players instead of the mid-to-lower 3* players. That's improvement. But unless we have guys that can bring it from the edge and middle on defense and game changers on offense, we're going to struggle. I don't know if we have the ability to recruit like that or not. We haven't yet, but that doesn't mean we won't. With the negative recruiting we face, success is the only thing that will help. We have stopped losing the games we shouldn't, now we have to win games were weren't expected to.

BranMart

Georgia Tech Fan
Man, I'm tired of all the negativity...dude, you don't watch enough football. Our scheme is damn well good enough to where if we get a set of players that we can get in the top 4 at the end of the season (and starting in 2014, that means a chance at the National Championship). I watch too much football, just ask my wife. Our scheme is great. We just can't teach it worth a damn. It should not take 3 to 4 years to get the base stuff down.

One thing is true...we are not Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, or Michigan...but guess what, neither is anyone else. Most schools will NEVER be as good as we are in football right now. I disagree. We are barely a bowl team right now. 57% or so are as good as we are right now. They don't use an O that hurts them more.

Winning 7, 8, and 9 games a year is a good thing. That's a healthy program...teams that do that consistently are the teams that breakthrough in 2-3 year stretches with 10 & 11 win seasons. Winning 7 a year is not a good thing when 2 are against Elon and Bama A & M.

I understand that you want to win the National Championship every year...that's awesome, but unrealistic. What...Seriously. Noone is saying we have to win a NC every year. Just look like football players with a chance. With an Idea how to run a system. Not a bunch of flounders flipping a fin and screwing ourselves into the ground.

The truth is this...the last few seasons have been brutal. We lost five games that I can think of off the top of my head that were just awful: Utah '11, VT '12, Miami '12, VT '13, and ugag '13. If two of those went the other way, and we had won a close game, would you feel better? Don't forget MTSU, Air Force, Miami '13....heck every Miami and VT and Clemson game we have played since 2009.

Do you remember 2008 and 2009, where it was just the opposite? Close/Miracle wins: ugag '08, Wake Forest '08, FSU '08, Clemson '09 (twice!), FSU '09, VT '09, Wake Forest '09. I do. The charm is gone. The gimmick is dead. We have a running, gunning QB that has left us. We have a coach who thinks his O is untouchable. He will change anything except forcing the 3O down our throats.

This season was rough...we should have been better...but that's just football. PJ is a good coach. Remember that only two other coaches EVER have won 11+ games in season at Georgia Tech: Bobby Dodd and Bobby Ross. He does not get to be mentioned with Boddy Dodd. Sorry.

If we win 9 games next year, beat ugag, lose to FSU in the ACCcg and win a bowl game to get 10 wins, what do you say? I say no chance in Hell. If it does happen I would be ecstatic. It just won't happen with this O and this staff

Last edited:

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Yeah no sense mentioning cpj with Dodd or Ross.

We haven't finished in the top 25 since 2009. I don't see us trending upwards, I see us trending flat to downwards

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I see us trending up. The slope may be fairly shallow right now, but I don't see it going down. We'll see next year: I think that'll be a key year to establishing the trend.

(I get that you're not high on this scheme or the recruiting of this staff, and don't blame you)

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow

I give 2 reasons

We can change. Point 1 .

We didn't run the option this year. CPJ didn't recruit very well his first few seasons here and it's showing. It's going to take a while for ANY coach to get used to recruiting at GT. With better talent we should win the close games next year. The whole idea that people have "figured out" our offense is overblown and completely made up.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah no sense mentioning cpj with Dodd or Ross.

We haven't finished in the top 25 since 2009. I don't see us trending upwards, I see us trending flat to downwards

I have a question. Your tag line indicates you are GT Athlete. If I assume you are a current player then I wonder if your attitude reflects the attitude of your team mates? I don't mean this as a confrontational question but would like to have an idea of the mindset of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.