Addressing the Vad Lee situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
yeah i think we are looking a 4 maybe 5 transfers or team leaves (may not transfer just stop playing)

Like I posted earlier I was told 2-4...Vad was the one I knew of.

Bostic, Zenon and Bailey are ones to watch.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
No need for sour grapes from NC State.

At the time he came out of HS they had Russell Wilson and Mike Glennon, both NFL QBs that were drafted by the 3rd rnd. in the years they came out.

NC State wanted Vad as a WR, they only mentioned Vad as a QB after he got offered as a QB by GT.

That is 100% not true.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If option ball "was never his thing" he shoulda signed with Duke.

It's complete BS to say CPJ lied about opening up the offense. CPJ is not a fan of the gun in most situations but implemented the pistol for Vad. Truth is Vad never showed he is or can be an elite QB. I hope he is able to do so but will be surprised to see it happen. I do hope he is able to finish his scholar athlete career successfully and enjoy doing so.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Why Zenon?

Thinking of this stuff makes me glad certain guys stuck it out. Charles Perkins is one - could have packed up and left when he got passed by Sims and Laskey and was hampered by injuries. Instead, he found a new position and seems to be working hard at it.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
Why Zenon?

Thinking of this stuff makes me glad certain guys stuck it out. Charles Perkins is one - could have packed up and left when he got passed by Sims and Laskey and was hampered by injuries. Instead, he found a new position and seems to be working hard at it.
None of those guys are receiving significant playing time. That would be my guess as to why.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Please tell me what is the 100% truth, didn't NC State initially want VL as a WR/athlete?

Nope, QB all the way.

This is what they sold him...from a Scout article

"State's offered me as a quarterback so we mainly talked about their depth chart and situation," said Lee. "Most colleges have at least four scholarship quarterbacks on their roster. State has three now and will probably have just two next year because Russell Wilson is probably only playing one more year of football.

"With State it sounds like they will be taking two quarterbacks this year. It's really not a big deal with me because most colleges are in the same situation as far as wanting to have four scholarship quarterbacks. I don't think you're going to see less than three quarterbacks or four quarterbacks anywhere.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Why Zenon?

Playing time.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I do think Vad is crazy not to at least get his degree here, he is not an NFL talent so if he transfers to some crappy AA school so he can play next year all he's really doing is devaluing his education and future.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Like I posted earlier I was told 2-4...Vad was the one I knew of.

Bostic, Zenon and Bailey are ones to watch.

This is why I wished we didn't recruit as if we're in danger of oversigning. Attrition, much like 'winter' in Game of Thrones, is coming.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why Zenon?

I really like Perkins and hope to see him get more PT next year. He will have to earn it of course but I think he will get more snaps. Seems a high character kid.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This is why I wished we didn't recruit as if we're in danger of oversigning. Attrition, much like 'winter' in Game of Thrones, is coming.

I am interested to see how we finish this year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I do think Vad is crazy not to at least get his degree here, he is not an NFL talent so if he transfers to some crappy AA school so he can play next year all he's really doing is devaluing his education and future.

That was a part that was hard for him, he did want the GT degree. In the end he did what he felt was best for him and his family.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You can only play college ball once. Vad needs to go where he feels he has the best opportunity to do so. He can always come back to Tech to get his masters

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a part that was hard for him, he did want the GT degree. In the end he did what he felt was best for him and his family.
I hope his decision works out well for him, but I wish he would stay long enough to get his GT degree. I don't see him as an NFL QB.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hope he doesn't have a career track similar to Luallen. He just kinda ended up 'just a guy' on the roster at Cincinnati didn't he?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Official statements from Vad Lee and CPJ:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010314aaa.html

Vad Lee said:
"Making the decision to leave Georgia Tech was difficult for me. I am very close -- and will continue to be close -- with my teammates. I will also miss the overwhelming support I received the last three years from Yellow Jacket nation.

"I greatly appreciate the opportunity Coach Johnson gave me, as well the chance to work with coaches like Brian Bohannon and Bryan Cook. Thanks as well to (recruiting coordinator) Andy McCollum, who helped recruit me to Tech.

"My decision was also difficult because I know first-hand the talent coming back next season. I just felt that it is a good time for me to get a fresh start for my final two years of college."

CPJ said:
"Vad is a young man with high character and I appreciate all the work that he put into our program and to Georgia Tech during his three years here. This is a decision made by Vad and his family, and while you don't like losing talented players, I wish nothing but the best for Vad in the future."

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I hope he doesn't have a career track similar to Luallen. He just kinda ended up 'just a guy' on the roster at Cincinnati didn't he?

Luallen wound up as a fullback there after playing some wildcat QB and some tightend, I believe.

Message boarders were excited about his arm when he got to GT but, to be blunt, I think that was a color-based assumption. He was a runner through and through and his HS tape simply did not have a lot of impressive passes.

I think he was well-liked by the team and it would have been nice for us if he had stayed

Status
Not open for further replies.