Addressing the Vad Lee situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not as negative about this as you guys. Vad didn't get the offense. I think with a year of most of the reps and strength and conditioning JT will do just fine next year.

And now we can run the midline again.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Simply put this is the best moves for both GT and Vad Lee.

I honestly don't think Vad ever truly bought into the system.

I've been good friends with Vad going back to his Junior season in HS and he is a great kid...I wish him well moving forward.

As for GT..I think this isn't as bad as people make it out to be. We can now get back to a identity on offense and hopefully get the option back looking smooth.

Justin has a high ceiling and I think highly of him...he isn't the biggest guy but he runs with good pad level which is key...he will now get a ton of reps and its up to CPJ and CBC to get him ready.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Eric. I think Vad was our best QB this year, but I think "buy-in" is the issue. Imo, he trusted himself more than the coaching and the system. As stylee said, iirc, sometimes it's coachability and not coaching.

Vad threw prettier passes than TW when he stepped into throws but not more accurately, imo. I don't think his protection was worse than TWs or JNs by much if at all.

I wish him all the best.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of you crack me up. We won games in 2008 and 2009 where we didn't throw a single pass. We DID NOT run our bread and butter offense this year. Vad could not run the option. Let's give CPJ a chance to get back to running what he basically invented with 2 QB's that can run it (JT and TB). We will win at least 8 next year. Whether or not CPJ survives is how we do against VT, Clemson, UGA, and The U

We do not have the NFL talent in 2014 that we had during 2008 and 2009. Johnnies and Joes! We will go 0-4 against the Big 4, because, at Georgia Tech, we do that.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
Simply put this is the best moves for both GT and Vad Lee.

I honestly don't think Vad ever truly bought into the system.

I've been good friends with Vad going back to his Junior season in HS and he is a great kid...I wish him well moving forward.

As for GT..I think this isn't as bad as people make it out to be. We can now get back to a identity on offense and hopefully get the option back looking smooth.

Justin has a high ceiling and I think highly of him...he isn't the biggest guy but he runs with good pad level which is key...he will now get a ton of reps and its up to CPJ and CBC to get him ready.
I think the biggest thing about Justin is that if he gets in the open field nobody is touching him. If he can get the decision making down and add himself as a home run threat I think that opens so many things back up.

JT's decision making ability will be the make or break point for us and CPJ IMO.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
the sun will come up tomorrow. JT (or whoever is QB) will be fun to watch next year.
Vad never mastered the offense and he continued to throw off his back foot. Plays took waaaay too long to develop. Aside from the obvious disappointment, I don't believe the team has been set-back too badly.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...we're going to be terrible next year because Vad is leaving? There's so much wrong with this train of thought...

1. If Vad doesn't want to be here, and hasn't for several weeks (or even a year or so), why do we want him playing QB? This isn't a game where you can be halfway motivated and succeed..
  2. Truth be told, the kid did not look very good running this offense. This is nothing against his character or his athleticism...just saying that the TO wasn't for him. He's had three years running the offense in practice and games and still looks like Tevin did during the first four games he played...it just doesn't seem like it was going to work out
  3. As bad as he looked at times, we still averaged 29 PPG against FBS (35 overall). So if he wasn't a fit for it, wouldn't you rather find a QB that is a fit? Even if he's not as athletic or doesn't have as good of an arm the offense would be better, right?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
other players will soon be leaving too right?

I thought I heard bostic, we know of bailey leaving the sport (although not sure if confirmed)...does anyone know anything else on BJ or is that a rumor

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys really need to take a look at the numbers.

Joshua Nesbitt
  • 2008: 808 yards on 123 attempts at 43.9%
  • 2009: 1701 yards on 162 attempts at 46.3%
  • 2010: 674 yards on 105 attempts at 37.1%

Tevin Washington
  • 2010: 417 yards on 61 attempts at 41.0%
  • 2011: 1652 yards on 150 attempts at 49.3%
  • 2012: 1222 yards on 133 attempts at 56.4%

Vad Lee
  • 2012: 596 yards on 56 attempts at 48.2%
  • 2013: 1561 yards on 180 attempts at 45.6%
In 2013, Vad Lee attempted 11.1% more passes than most passes attempted with Nesbitt and 20% more passes than Tevin's most attempts. Yet Vad's completion% and completed yards were still below that of both Joshua and Tevin's.

This is not a knock on Vad; this is a knock on the "we should've passed more with Vad" argument. So what exactly makes some of you guys think that if we passed more, we would have been more successful?

Here is why, John.

He is in the wrong offense. I am sure you have heard that on here.

Think about it like this... Do you think Peyton Manning would be more effective throwing from a pass oriented offense or a run heavy scheme - flexbone?

We shouldn't have passed more. You are correct. We should have never lied to a recruit to get him here and watch him self destruct in an offense he is not suited to.

CPJ is at fault not Vad.

gtdrew

Banned
We do not have the NFL talent in 2014 that we had during 2008 and 2009. Johnnies and Joes! We will go 0-4 against the Big 4, because, at Georgia Tech, we do that.
Actually, I think in 2014 our talent will look VERY similar to 2008-2009. Custis, Waller & Autry, and improved ol, and a defense w another year under Ted Roof. And it's Jimmies & Joes, mr. master prognosticator...

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Most telling part of Ken Seguira's article:

The very curious thing is that Lee had eight runs of 20 yards or more last season on 96 carries as a backup to Tevin Washington but only one this season on 182 carries.

You know why Ken?

Because in 2012 Vad came in a ran mostly out of the Pistol Spread. An offensive set that he is accustomed to.

gtdrew

Banned
Here is why, John.

He is in the wrong offense. I am sure you have heard that on here.

Think about it like this... Do you think Peyton Manning would be more effective throwing from a pass oriented offense or a run heavy scheme - flexbone?

We shouldn't have passed more. You are correct. We should have never lied to a recruit to get him here and watch him self destruct in an offense he is not suited to.

CPJ is at fault not Vad.
No. He isn't. I'm quite sure if Vad had not shown the same bad habits all season long CPJ would have thrown more, as he told Vad he would. But I wouldn't let a kid who runs into pressure and throws off his back foot consistently throw more, either. Anyone who says they would after seeing that is an idiot.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
No. He isn't. I'm quite sure if Vad had not shown the same bad habits all season long CPJ would have thrown more, as he told Vad he would. But I wouldn't let a kid who runs into pressure and throws off his back foot consistently throw more, either. Anyone who says they would after seeing that is an idiot.

Re-read my post Drew. I agree. We shouldn't have passed more.

He was recruited for the wrong reasons and mislead imho. He would have been better off playing WR here or going to another school to begin with.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
other players will soon be leaving too right?

I thought I heard bostic, we know of bailey leaving the sport (although not sure if confirmed)...does anyone know anything else on BJ or is that a rumor

Johnson is on vacation until the weekend, so nobody knows for sure. But there are expected to be "2 or 3" more transfers, according to the same person who let me know that Vad had quit on New Year's Eve. Personally, I think it's going to be Bostic & Zenon. Plus, the coaches are indeed trying to get Bailey to take a medical hardship so that he doesn't count against the scholly limit. They all said the kid is really talented but just cannot stay healthy and they think it's best for both sides if he is able to give up the hope of playing.

Players return back to school this weekend as well, so I think we will hear more on Monday or Tuesday.

gtdrew

Banned
Re-read my post Drew. I agree. We shouldn't have passed more.

He was recruited for the wrong reasons and mislead imho. He would have been better off playing WR here or going to another school to begin with.
I dont think he was intentionally misled. Why bring the kid in if not to try to throw more? don't give him a scholly if you're not absolutely sure you want him for something. Does that make sense? Im quite sure CPJ told Vad he'd get to throw more, and I'm sure CPJ meant to throw more with Vad, but because of Vad's lack of progress in the offense, he wasn't able to.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I dont think he was intentionally misled. Why bring the kid in if not to try to throw more? don't give him a scholly if you're not absolutely sure you want him for something. Does that make sense? Im quite sure CPJ told Vad he'd get to throw more, and I'm sure CPJ meant to throw more with Vad, but because of Vad's lack of progress in the offense, he wasn't able to.

Drew,

This offense is not built to be a passing offense. Why would you recruit a passing QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.