AD chat

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
College Soccer isn’t going to get an Atlanta United atmosphere, but it’s fun. Women’s soccer has the advantage that you’ve got a women’s sport with a roster of 22 or more players

It’s an easy sport on a campus with a lot of land—the equipment costs aren’t that bad. The question is, where would you put it?

It’s not a big need, but the expense wouldn’t be that bad, aside from finding a spot to play—which would be tough in Midtown.
@slugboy, regarding paragraph 1, what do youu feel is an "advantage" to having an additional sport, me or women's? Regarding paragraph 3, I can't imaging a "cheaper" sport than soccer from an expense standpoint but why would we add to our debt burden as we know going in this will not be a net positive financially?

slugboy

Staff member
@slugboy, regarding paragraph 1, what do youu feel is an "advantage" to having an additional sport, me or women's? Regarding paragraph 3, I can't imaging a "cheaper" sport than soccer from an expense standpoint but why would we add to our debt burden as we know going in this will not be a net positive financially?
Title 9. It’s harder to find women’s sports with large rosters to balance out your men’s roster sports. As Tech becomes more balanced in enrollment, we need to have more balance in the sizes of our sports rosters.

By the way, I think what Cabrera wants is Men’s Soccer, but you’d have both men’s and women’s to stay balanced a Title-9 compliant.

As far as people showing up to games, it’s going to be like baseball, where you have a smaller fan base than football or basketball. I don’t think iceeater is correct that a lot of women and a lot of foreign students are going to show up for Women’s Soccer games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Women's golf. Golf program is fully funded. Would be about 6 scholarships and can pick events to play. Can use a small bus for a lot of them. Flying a soccer team to Boston ND Syracuse is a lot more expensive.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Women's golf. Golf program is fully funded. Would be about 6 scholarships and can pick events to play. Can use a small bus for a lot of them. Flying a soccer team to Boston ND Syracuse is a lot more expensive.

From a "check the box" (i.e balancing sports to meet Title 9) I do agree that gof would be cheaper than soccer.However I am still adamant that we add nothing to we either -A) are forced to do so to remain in compliance or B) we dig out of our current situation (overall financially and/or current status in revenue generating sports. Just not a prudent move (although my wife and coworkers have always said that I have a very narrow and perhaps harsh view on what is and is not ROI to be honest. I have heard it enough to wonder if orher's perceptions may be correct. OTOH, I have never been convinced enough by others to rethink my accounting of things. I've often wondred if the engineering education and mindset is as much a curse as it is a blessing. But I digress as I am wont to do.)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
From a "check the box" (i.e balancing sports to meet Title 9) I do agree that gof would be cheaper than soccer.However I am still adamant that we add nothing to we either -A) are forced to do so to remain in compliance or B) we dig out of our current situation (overall financially and/or current status in revenue generating sports. Just not a prudent move (although my wife and coworkers have always said that I have a very narrow and perhaps harsh view on what is and is not ROI to be honest. I have heard it enough to wonder if orher's perceptions may be correct. OTOH, I have never been convinced enough by others to rethink my accounting of things. I've often wondred if the engineering education and mindset is as much a curse as it is a blessing. But I digress as I am wont to do.)
Only should be considered at this time if we need to add women's team for title IX. Otherwise get what we got stable financially.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Quick Google search shows UNC averaged 2,384 people per game in 2019 (latest year I could find stats on). That's not as many as men's hoops or football, but it's more than the home attendance for any GT women's hoop games this year. I couldn't find the average for this year, but eyeballing it, average for women's hoop was about 1400 -1500, so about 30% less than those women's soccer programs