AD Candidate List

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
LOL...nice idea but:
(1) Board of Regents would NEVER allow that (as I am sure you know); and
(2) Buddie is at Wake Forest iiuc. I was referring to him bringing Clawson with him
Oh. How about "Georgia Institute of Technology and Baptist University" Gittyboo? Okay, I'll stop now.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not impressed by Greene at AU. I sincerely hope he is not the guy we hire. His hires have been...not very well received (Harsin failed at football and while Pearl has been successful at basketball, he would get fired in a heartbeat at GT)
Bruce Pearl was not hired by Allen Greene. He was hired by Jay Jacobs. Jacobs was the same AD who fired Tuberville, hired Chizik, then fired him to hire Malzahn. Jacobs left Auburn in 2018 to go to Florida to become Associate AD there.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Eh, I know we're kinda like Wake and Army in many ways. But I kinda don't want us to be like Wake/Army.

And yes I know Wake's coach is doing a great job, I'm just speaking in general.
I wasn’t talking about being similar in terms of on field athletics but some of the challenges within the dept.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wasn’t talking about being similar in terms of on field athletics but some of the challenges within the dept.

That's fair. I think I was kinda saying I wish we didn't have those challenges. So we didn't have to bring somebody in to run us like Army/Wake.

I dunno. I kinda hope we can get ourselves closer to "normal". Not sure if I'm doing a good job of relaying my thoughts here so I'm gonna pull out before I say something even dumber.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Back in the day gt had 5,000 students w great football = helluva engr reputation

Now we transitioned to 18,000 students w excellent diversity = still helluva engr reputation. But we suck at football and have bad athletic finance (debt and cheap alumni) . Plus athletics will be getting more expensive ( nil and super p5 schools).
I trust that Angel can create minor programs or adjustments that dont change helluva engr but give ncaa athletes flexibility.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
That's fair. I think I was kinda saying I wish we didn't have those challenges. So we didn't have to bring somebody in to run us like Army/Wake.

I dunno. I kinda hope we can get ourselves closer to "normal". Not sure if I'm doing a good job of relaying my thoughts here so I'm gonna pull out before I say something even dumber.
I agree with wishing we had more $. Hopefully the President along with the new ad can change it and get us to the middle of the pack in terms of support.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Back in the day gt had 5,000 students w great football = helluva engr reputation

Now we transitioned to 18,000 students w excellent diversity = still helluva engr reputation. But we suck at football and have bad athletic finance (debt and cheap alumni) . Plus athletics will be getting more expensive ( nil and super p5 schools).
I trust that Angel can create minor programs or adjustments that dont change helluva engr but give ncaa athletes flexibility.
Think we're actually up closer to 27,000 students but 18,000 undergrads. Definitely a lot of growth.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind, even with all that growth - other schools have been growing to.

GT has the 12th smallest undergraduate enrollment of P5 schools and is the smallest public school in the P5 (in terms of undergraduate enrollment).
The 11 smaller schools are
Wake (private)
Duke (private)
Vanderbilt (private)
Stanford (private)
Northwestern (private)
Notre Dame (private)
Boston College (private)
TCU (private)
Miami (private)
Syracuse (private)
Baylor (private)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I am not impressed by Greene at AU. I sincerely hope he is not the guy we hire. His hires have been...not very well received (Harsin failed at football and while Pearl has been successful at basketball, he would get fired in a heartbeat at GT)
Seriously. his resume is a legacy of failure at a major fb factory

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If students are not stepping foot on campus, they're probably aren't going to be boosters, in general. Those are false numbers when we're talking about students that will become boosters once they graduate.
I am merely sharing the number of students that the school has registered. Whether they give to Tech as boosters is unknown to anyone except Tech.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Seriously. his resume is a legacy of failure at a major fb factory
AD Greene was held in very high regard by AD's in general and the Auburn community as a whole. He has his own views and did not kow tow to special interests. He's done a solid job across all sports except football.

Why football? The outgoing president stepped in after Malzahn's firing and ordered a university search committee. This was to neutralize the boosters.

He has an extremely good reputation overall.

slugboy

Staff member
AD Greene was held in very high regard by AD's in general and the Auburn community as a whole. He has his own views and did not kow tow to special interests. He's done a solid job across all sports except football.

Why football? The outgoing president stepped in after Malzahn's firing and ordered a university search committee. This was to neutralize the boosters.

He has an extremely good reputation overall.
That may not go too far with the posters here. For example, I think Stansbury has a good reputation in general, in the business community, and with other ADs, but not so good here in this forum.
Here, many people mainly care if the AD will hire a great football coach, and if the candidate ADs have hired a great football coach.
There’s more to being an AD than that; otherwise, they’d hire the head coach and then go fishing. I care a lot about the other stuff.

Are the leaks intentional? Sometimes that is done to get peoples reactions.
How would we know?
We do know that there are some people in the AA who leak. There are some boosters that talk to the press. It could be intentional on the part of the leaker(s), but not in line with what Neville and Cabrera want.

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That may not go too far with the posters here. For example, I think Stansbury has a good reputation in general, in the business community, and with other ADs, but not so good here in this forum.
Here, many people mainly care if the AD will hire a great football coach, and if the candidate ADs have hired a great football coach.
There’s more to being an AD than that; otherwise, they’d hire the head coach and then go fishing. I care a lot about the other stuff.

How would we know?
We do know that there are some people in the AA who leak. There are some boosters that talk to the press. It could be intentional on the part of the leaker(s), but not in line with what Neville and Cabrera want.

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF
Would I hire Greene? Yes.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Got an update for y’all: I’ve heard the name Zac Selmon from my buddy (my most trusted source). Selmon is the current Deputy AD at Oklahoma. He fits about every box that tech wants in a new AD. He’s a young up and coming mind, some have viewed him as the next Oklahoma AD since their current one is getting up in age.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Got an update for y’all: I’ve heard the name Zac Selmon from my buddy (my most trusted source). Selmon is the current Deputy AD at Oklahoma. He fits about every box that tech wants in a new AD. He’s a young up and coming mind, some have viewed him as the next Oklahoma AD since their current one is getting up in age.
I think we need someone who has been an AD before coming to GT. With that name at that school I could see him passing up a job just to be able to AD at OU down the road.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Is he bringing Jeff Lebby with him?!