AD Candidate List

slugboy

Staff member
According to Suguira three prominent candidates are Greene (Auburn), Cobb (Ga State / App State), and Mike Buddie (Army / Wake) The AD search goes through November 1st, but could wrap up sooner.
Graham Neff is not a candidate

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Which he?
In the late 90's, this would've turned into an epic 'yo momma' joke.

Shiiii, it's 2022 and it still might. :sneaky:

According to Suguira three prominent candidates are Greene (Auburn), Cobb (Ga State / App State), and Mike Buddie (Army / Wake) The AD search goes through November 1st, but could wrap up sooner.

Thanks for sharing. Hoping they wrap this up, make the right hire, and move onto finding us a coach.

JacketFan137

Banned

anybody with more knowledge have some thoughts on those guys? hard for me to keep up with college sports outside of basketball and football so i don’t know what these guys full resume would look like

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Greene is interesting. He brawled with the auburn boosters and coaches. The university sided with the boosters and didn’t extend him.

Football: Greene fired Gus Malzahn with a $21M buy-out. He hired Harsin from Boise St. He’s on the hot seat.

Basketball: hired Bruce Pearl (who I think is slimy) and gave him an 8 year contract.

/

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Greene is interesting. He brawled with the auburn boosters and coaches. The university sided with the boosters and didn’t extend him.

Football: Greene fired Gus Malzahn with a $21M buy-out. He hired Harsin from Boise St. He’s on the hot seat.

Basketball: hired Bruce Pearl (who I think is slimy) and gave him an 8 year contract.

/
Is Greene the AD that Pearl refuses to speak to? Presumably because Pearl's dirty as the day is long and Greene wanted him to answer to it (my assumption).

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Neff: I love Ma Tech...thanks...but no thanks...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
None of the 3 really screams "WOW", but of the 3, I'm most impressed by Charlie Cobb. He has done a really good job for GA State. He checks several boxes for me: From a small school that's done a lot with little resources, has made good football (Shawn Elliott has taken them to 4 bowls in 5 years) and basketball hires (Jonas Hayes looks to be a coup for GA State), ability to fundraise. Looks like he spearheaded a $21 million dollar sponsorship deal for naming rights to GA State's football field (Hello BDS and McCamish Pavillion!), and generated money to build facitilities at both GA STate and App State...though I think that gets overplayed these days as most schools have some kind of construction project going on.

A positive for him: Pretty good knowledge of potential football hires. Sun Belt is loaded with good football coaches (Jamey Chadwell!!!). It's one of those "nice to have" in his favor, but not the biggest deal since, hopefully, the AD will be here 10+ years and his decision making and choices will be rooted in being an astute judge of coaching talent no matter where candidates are from.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Part of being an AD is understanding cultural fit for a coach. Most people felt Harsin wasn't a good cultural fit for Auburn from the start. In that sense, Greene missed the mark.

Personally, I hope these 3 are just part of a long list Suguira was able to get, not the entire list. Hopefully we have much better candidates in the mix.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am not impressed by Greene at AU. I sincerely hope he is not the guy we hire. His hires have been...not very well received (Harsin failed at football and while Pearl has been successful at basketball, he would get fired in a heartbeat at GT)

slugboy

Staff member
I am not impressed by Greene at AU. I sincerely hope he is not the guy we hire. His hires have been...not very well received (Harsin failed at football and while Pearl has been successful at basketball, he would get fired in a heartbeat at GT)

I know you’re saying Pearl wouldn’t work here, but he’s much better than successful.

Pearl has a 62.9% winning percentage at Auburn and was even better at Tennessee. Our best was Cremins at 59.9%. Pastner is 49.5%.

Pearl might be the best basketball coach ever at Auburn. If it’s not him, it’s Sonny Smith back in the 1980’s.

I’d worry about the NCAA and probation here, but Auburn defends him really well. He’s a fantastic hire for Auburn.

Last edited:

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, apparently — to me — these three names have been “leaked” to sportswriter Ken Sugiura, for public consumption at least at this time, anyway.

It indicates — to me — that these three are the three candidates that have been narrowed down at this time for the GT AD job by Cabrera and Neville. It is therefore likely — to me — that there are no additional candidates for the position.

This is just me. What do I know, as well as anyone else?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Well, apparently — to me — these three names have been “leaked” to sportswriter Ken Sugiura, for public consumption at least at this time, anyway.

It indicates — to me — that these three are the three candidates that have been narrowed down at this time for the GT AD job by Cabrera and Neville. It is therefore likely — to me — that there are no additional candidates for the position.

This is just me. What do I know, as well as anyone else?
I agree with you that these are probably the three. If that is the case, I think Buddie would be the clear favorite. Having worked in the ACC before and at similar types of schools

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I know you’re saying Pearl wouldn’t work here, but he’s much better than successful.

Pearl has a 62.9% winning percentage at Auburn and was even better at Tennessee. Our best was Cremins at 59.9%. Pastner is 49.5%.

Pearl might be the best basketball coach ever at Auburn. If it’s not him, it’s Sonny Smith back in the 1980’s.

I’d worry about the NCAA and probation here, but Auburn defends him really well. He’s a fantastic hire for Auburn.
I think we are mostly in complete agreement. Except I wasn't saying Pearl wouldn't come here (although I agree he wouldn't) I was saying The Hill would fire him if they discovered the tactics he (supposedly) has used to be so ultra-successful. Given how we abandoned LeBarrie when there was merely a whiff of bad behavior, I felt Pearl wouldn't last very long here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Buddie could persuade his current football coach to follow him here??
Maybe he could persuade the whole school across the street to follow him. How would this sound to our furry friends to the east - "Georgia Institute of Technology and State University"? Gittysue!
Nah, never happen.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree with you that these are probably the three. If that is the case, I think Buddie would be the clear favorite. Having worked in the ACC before and at similar types of schools

Eh, I know we're kinda like Wake and Army in many ways. But I kinda don't want us to be like Wake/Army.

And yes I know Wake's coach is doing a great job, I'm just speaking in general.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he could persuade the whole school across the street to follow him. How would this sound to our furry friends to the east - "Georgia Institute of Technology and State University"? Gittysue!
Nah, never happen.
LOL...nice idea but:
(1) Board of Regents would NEVER allow that (as I am sure you know); and
(2) Buddie is at Wake Forest iiuc. I was referring to him bringing Clawson with him

slugboy

Staff member
LOL...nice idea but:
(1) Board of Regents would NEVER allow that (as I am sure you know); and
(2) Buddie is at Wake Forest iiuc. I was referring to him bringing Clawson with him
Buddie was at Wake. He’s at West Point now.

Greene and Buddie are both baseball players. All three seem to have made at least one good major coaching hire.

If I was doing the search, I’d interview and evaluate at least 5 candidates. It’s also weird that these candidates are out before the search firm is finished doing their job.