ACC wants degregulation of

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we're giving Notre Dame enough by letting them play into our Orange Bowl deal. I don't think they should get a shot at the ACC CG, if that's part of the consideration.

This past year, the competition in the Atlantic below FSU and CU was not as high as the competition in the Coastal, imo. So, biassing the CG to reward teams playing in weaker divisions seems too knee jerk.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is bad for all Coastal teams. We will be the weak sister division for the next few years. FSU and Clemson are powers for a few years. (Then we go semi-pro in CFB and who knows what happens.)

Ggee is right on. Money is all that matters for most people in power today. We have gone to a totally materialistic society and whatever gets the most money is what will be done. Change the rules to maximize profits. Outside of the distinct minority of Coastal ACC fans (Miami is a small school), this makes money sense.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't like scenarios where 2 teams have to replay each other. A team that wins the first game shouldn't have to beat a team twice - it's really not a fair deal. If the team that lost the first one wins the second one, they're the champion even though they split the two games evenly. If that had been the case this year, the ACC wouldn't have been left out of the National Championship completely instead of winning it. The divisions make a little more sense to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't like scenarios where 2 teams have to replay each other. A team that wins the first game shouldn't have to beat a team twice - it's really not a fair deal. If the team that lost the first one wins the second one, they're the champion even though they split the two games evenly. If that had been the case this year, the ACC wouldn't have been left out of the National Championship completely instead of winning it. The divisions make a little more sense to me.

We had to play Clemson twice 2009. Both were pretty good games that were well attended.

It's just luck of scheduling...no work around that.

I don't know how you can have a conference championship game with just one division and teams not playing everybody in the division.

It just gives the conference leadership the ability to name the participants in their champiohship game. Definitely would put us at a distinct disadvantage. However, the chances of us ever competing in the ACCCG, then winning it, then being part of the four team playoff are so slim as to be negligible. Not a lot to get excited about, since we are already firmly positioned on the outside looking in.

This year might have influenced this question coming being brought up. Had there been any close competition for FSU, like two or three other undefeateds, them playing a weaker club like Duke might have boxed them out of the big game. It is a valid consideration going forward. If the SEC's championship game was undefeated Alabama against an undefeated Missouri, and the Big Ten's game was undefeated Ohio State against an undefeated Iowa, FSU would have been S.O.L. regardless of how badly they had pounded NCST, Wake, Clemson, and Duke in the ACCCG. I am sure Swofford can see a 13-0 Miami, or a 13-0 Clemson, or a 13-0 Georgia Tech (just kidding) being shut out of the four team playoff. I think that is a very real possibility---not the Tech part, but the rest of it.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how this is either good or bad for Georgia Tech.

Unless one starts making assumptions about how good or bad Georgia Tech is going to be in the coming years.

Absent any assumptions about the quality of future Georgia Tech teams, I don't see how one can have anything other than a neutral opinion about this.

We can't have the advantages of being in a conference a few notches below the SEC and have the advantages of being in a conference as good as the SEC at the same time.

Well lets say Louisville, FSU, and GT win all their ACC games but do not play each other... It becomes similar to the boondoggle we have had for the the national championship the last few years.
Then a consortium of the noble school presidents, plus Jimbo Fisher, Bobby Petrino, and Frank Beamer and Mack Brown, would vote to decide which two teams participate in the championship game. What could be more fair? I guarantee this would have widespread support.

Eggsackley. But the Cheeseman is right: this does make the scheduling a lot more important. I can only imagine how much backstabbing would go on every year over that!

But ultimately count me in the camp with keeping the divisions. I'm a firm believer in keeping the Devil you know.

Yes, but the devil you know, is still a devil.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It just gives the conference leadership the ability to name the participants in their champiohship game. Definitely would put us at a distinct disadvantage. However, the chances of us ever competing in the ACCCG, then winning it, then being part of the four team playoff are so slim as to be negligible. Not a lot to get excited about, since we are already firmly positioned on the outside looking in.
Couldn't disagree more with the negligible chance for us part. It was only 4 years ago that we were very close to accomplishing this. We were a Josh Nesbitt injury away from being a 1-loss ACC Champion, having beaten FSU, VT, Clemson twice, and UGAg. That definitely could've been a good enough resume to put us in the 4-team playoff.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We had to play Clemson twice 2009. Both were pretty good games that were well attended.

It's just luck of scheduling...no work around that.
I agree. But, with divisions, the chances of this happening are lower than without divisions.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think the best way would be to go to 16 or 18 or even 20 teams ("super" conferences), with 2 divisions, and you only play teams in your division. That would make the scheduling the most fair. Every team would play every other team in their division in a round-robin style system with the winners going to the championship to play each other.

Then you have 8 or 9 conference games and 3 or so non-conference games. Then the winners of the conferences should all be in the championship playoff.

The worst way to do any of this is for anything to be decided by a popularity contest. Make everything be about the field as much as possible.