ACC vs. SEC

TheRedSteps94

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been having a conversation with my brother-in-law about the difference between ACC vs. SEC - sports (not just football), academics, fanbases, etc. With the SEC's "It just means more" campaign, what would the ACC say to combat that? What would get under their skin?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Means more translates do anything to win. Use your imagination. I wouldn’t put anything past any of the coaches, schools, or administrators.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I've been having a conversation with my brother-in-law about the difference between ACC vs. SEC - sports (not just football), academics, fanbases, etc. With the SEC's "It just means more" campaign, what would the ACC say to combat that? What would get under their skin?
The biggest way to get under the skin of the SEC and SEC fans is for the ACC to beat them during the regular season and at bowl games:cigar:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Divorce your wife and get new brother-in-law ( hint your may need a very good job cause it will cost you )

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Nothing is going to get under their skin. The SEC sends the most players to the NFL, they’ve won eleven of the last 20 natties, has the largest fan bases and the top merchandising in the country. Other than Clemson, they don’t care about the ACC.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Nothing is going to get under their skin. The SEC sends the most players to the NFL, they’ve won eleven of the last 20 natties, has the largest fan bases and the top merchandising in the country. Other than Clemson, they don’t care about the ACC.

The only thing I particularly care about is the media bias. Putting things in terms of "SEC athlete" or "SEC speed", etc. In the football world there's no question they're on top. But not to the extent portrayed, and this just contributes to the imbalance. Kids are growing up thinking SEC is way better than it is. Of course they're going to value an SEC offer higher.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Most SEC fans are fanatical as Bama's fan base, but trophy cases looks more like Vanderbilt. UGA included..... If it wasn't for Bama, the SEC would be an above average conference. The media (ESPN) is financially bought into the SEC, so they have to promote their investment.

If Alabama didn’t exist, LSU, Auburn or Tennessee would have easily filled the gap. There’s ample talent in the region, so it depends on the school.

I’ve attended games all over the country. Nothing compares to SEC in terms of the game day experience.

As to bias, it’s a function of the fan base. ESPN can address a huge market with the SEC. Why wouldn’t they?

As to the OP’s question, I graduated Tech, masters at UT, Emory, and GAState, and teach at Auburn. Sports are just part of academic life at SEC schools in a way that academics are at ACC schools. Auburn, for example, encourages students, faculty and staff to participate and promote athletics because they fundamentally believe its part of what makes a complete person and a community.

Tech had that. I’m not sure the ACC has the same interest in sports as SEC. Perhaps basketball? But I attend Auburn basketball games and it’s fun! Reminds me of the Bobby Cremins days.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Of those 11 nattys, only Alabama (5), LSU (3), Florida (2) and Auburn (1) have won them. Not sure if that's a league wide referendum or not. And only the mutts would be added if you include a list of those teams that have lost nattys; the others being Auburn and Alabama. But the loudest nut gets the grease.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Of those 11 nattys, only Alabama (5), LSU (3), Florida (2) and Auburn (1) have won them. Not sure if that's a league wide referendum or not. And only the mutts would be added if you include a list of those teams that have lost nattys; the others being Auburn and Alabama. But the loudest nut gets the grease.

You’re correct. I think my point is athletics is central to being part of the SEC. I’m not sure that’s the case at most ACC schools.