ACC Tourney

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Franklin was getting 30 minutes by game 3 of the year.
That’s simply just not true. There was a four game stretch in conference play in late Dec-early Jan where we went 1-3, and Franklin was averaging 17 minutes per game.

There was then a separate four game stretch in conference play in Jan where we went 0-4, and Franklin was averaging 20 minutes per game.

After this latter stretch, Franklin only played one game under 30 minutes the rest of the season (Duke). And we started playing significantly better.

I didn’t include the games against UNC (bicep) and Pitt (illness) when he only played six minutes each game.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Great effort in the second half. I didn't see the effort in the first half. Glad Hamilton decided not to play the 7 footer in the 2nd half. Great win!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That’s simply just not true. There was a four game stretch in conference play in late Dec-early Jan where we went 1-3, and Franklin was averaging 17 minutes per game.

What? He played 30 against NIU, 31 against Utah, and 35 against Marquette. Those were games 3, 4, and 5. So what I said was true. He also played 29 against Iowa and 27 against UGA so he was getting plenty of minutes early in the season especially against the better teams. And he was getting by far the most minutes of our bigs early in the season as well. Howard averaged 13.5 mpg in the non con. Franklin averaged 22, and 27 mpg after the NIU game.

As far as the stretches of games, The first stretch he had the following.

14 minutes against Clemson going 7 points 0 rebs
22 minutes against UVA going 11 points and 9 rebs
14 minutes against miami going 0 points 2 rebs
18 minutes against FSU going 6 points 3 rebs

Keep in mind this stretch immediately followed him coming off a groin injury that had him miss the Alabama State game and was questionable for the Clemson game.

The second stretch, which is unclear because if you don't include Pitt then there is only 3 games he played before the duke game you're counting in the rest of the year. Here were those 3 games

NCSU - 5 points, 5 rebs in 19 minutes
Cuse - 2 points 2 rebs in 18 minutes.
Clemson - 12 points, 5 rebs in 30 minutes.

Yeah, in the last 8 games in the ACC, he's been much better. It just so happens those 8 games are the other 7 of the bottom 8 ACC teams and Pitt. So we're playing teams we're more likely with being able to get away with playing a 6-7 center and teams he more likely to be able to have success against.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I like Terry a lot, but I’ve never seen a player have a higher missed dunk to dunk attempt ratio.
Basketball Dunk GIF by Eternal Family

Go Jackets! :buzz:

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
We were down roughly 10 early in 2nd half and I had to go do some things and assumed it wasn’t our day. Proud they hung in there and pulled it out. Fun team to watch now that our offense has opened up, better spacing and movement. Maybe one of our experts can explain the change - maybe it’s just mostly getting better space to shoot (hence shooting better) plus Franklin playing so well as our (small) big man.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
After reading all the earlier snide, negative comments, I’m sure there is about to be a flood of apologies coming. Or maybe not, given the sources😉
We played like crap and were poorly coached for 30 minutes.

We played well for 10 minutes and won. Why did we play so bad for 30 minutes is the question?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I felt like they played hard both halves. They just couldn’t made a shot. I didn’t even mind most of the shots…they just weren’t going in.
The shot quality was eons better in the second half. In the first half we had so many possessions where we jacked a contested 3 as the shot clock wound down.

In the second half we got a lot of good looks.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The shot quality was eons better in the second half. In the first half we had so many possessions where we jacked a contested 3 as the shot clock wound down.

In the second half we got a lot of good looks.
Franklin is playing hard on defense and rebounds but he is not making shots. Hope his legs get a good rest before Pitt.

Franklin and Miles play a very good 2 man game.

If Sturtevant and deebo. get hot, we are going to shock some people. Cant expect Franklin to be "super rebounder and Miles to be end of game Mr Clutch from 3.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought the overall quality of play was pretty good for the day one games. Louisville played 3/4 of a game reasonably well.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I thought the overall quality of play was pretty good for the day one games. Louisville played 3/4 of a game reasonably well.
VT vs ND was a good game as well. Interesting ruling on the “foul/technical” with less than a minute to go.

I thought the ND player threw an elbow to the face of the VT guy. After about 5 minutes they called a block on the VT player and a technical in the ND player for what the announcers said was a kick

ND guy got 2 FTs, made both and VT player got 2FTs and made one. VT got the ball due to the technical on ND.

Interesting.