ACC Tourney

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
We open with Florida State. If we keep playing the way we have the last couple of weeks, we should win that one.

Assuming we beat the Noles, we get Pitt on Wednesday. They've lost two in a row and aren't playing their best right now. We've lost to them twice, but both games were competitive. We could win this one

If we win Tues & Weds, we get Duke on Thurs. They're the hottest team in the conference right now and it will be a tough game, especially our third game in three days with virtually no bench. But that's why they play the games.

If we pull off a win over Duke, we are in the semis. No clue who we would play, but certainly won't be a cakewalk. Likely Miami. I doubt we can beat Duke & Miami on back to back days, but if we make it to the semis after the way we looked during that nine game skid? That will be a major accomplishment and hopefully something the kids can build off to start next year as strong as they've finished this season!

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We have played like a top 25 basketball team the last few weeks. It will just be hard with a short bench to play that much basketball in a short period of time but stranger things have happened. Really excited to see the team playing so well.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Making the semis at this point would be a monumental achievement. Let’s just try to win a game and then see what happens.

Winning the ACCT as a bottom four seed is virtually impossible. You’d have to win five games in five days. Just for comparison, that’s the same number of games it takes to make the national championship game from the field of 64. Only you get three weeks to do that…

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any news on if we get Deivon back for the tourney?
The team went from Boston to Greensboro. He didn't make the trip to Boston, so most implied that he wouldn't be joining the team.

Looks like he may be done for the season. Bummer to lose an athlete of his caliber. He would have impacted the game in some way.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
;)The team went from Boston to Greensboro. He didn't make the trip to Boston, so most implied that he wouldn't be joining the team.

Looks like he may be done for the season. Bummer to lose an athlete of his caliber. He would have impacted the game in some way.

Greensboro isn't a bad drive (or flight to CHA) from Atlanta if he wanna make a wrestling-style surprise entrance.

"Oh the Jackets are down, Mean Jean. But what's that? Is that ..... that's Deivon's walk-in music ....."

Episode 1 Running GIF by Heels

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hope Deivon is well enough to play, but the team flying directly to GSO is not an important issue relative him being ready to play. FSU has lost nine of their last eleven games and seem to have returned to their early season form. But, in the midst of all the losing they squeaked a one point winn over Miami. We can win this game, so thinking about Wednesday should not be part of the strategy. We need to continue to play as we have recently.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Any news on if we get Deivon back for the tourney?

At this point the safe play is to just keep him sidelined, don't run the risk of him reinjuring it while playing on it rusty. As much as I'd like to see him back, I don't think it is worth the risk.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
MY PREDICTIONS FOR THE TOURNAMENT (these will age horribly and I apologize in advance.)

(Winner over loser, then score I think they win by)
FIRST ROUND
  • GT over FSU 71-67
  • BC over Louisville 80-68
  • ND over VT 72-70
SECOND ROUND
  • WF over Syracuse 82-74
  • GT over Pitt 81-80 (OT)
  • UNC over BC 74-61
  • NCST over ND 75-59
QUARTERS
  • Miami over WF 91-78
  • Duke over GT 86-70
  • UNC over UVA 66-61
  • Clemson over NCST 70-64
SEMIS
  • Miami over Duke 83-75
  • UNC over Clemson 69-63
CHAMPIONSHIP
  • Miami over UNC 85-78

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The team went from Boston to Greensboro. He didn't make the trip to Boston, so most implied that he wouldn't be joining the team.

Man, if Deivon ever puts it all together :oops: 🤯

He is the most gifted athlete on our team. We've seen glimpses from him. His ability to rebound from the guard spot is pretty amazing, and ability to get by defenders is quite the sight.

Anyhow, back to the ACCT...hopefully a few bench guys will give Pastner the ability to steal a few minutes. Short bench for any tournament doesn't bode well. However, I don't think it will be an issue with FSU...Pitt on a one day turnaround is going to be chore.

Hopefully we can get past Pitt and we'll have to take our chances against Duke. They're playing as well as any team in the country currently so that will be a MOUNTAIN to climb.

Looking forward to this ACCT. GT has been playing pretty well ourselves. Wish we could have found this form earlier in ACC play...we might have found a couple of guys that could mesh with the core guys. It is what it is...