ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wondering how 'cuse, BC, Pitt could possibly play football this season if they can't travel or have teams travel to them without a 2-week wait.
This makes it really easy. Add in the Domers and you got 12 teams. Play each once & the top 2 play in the Championship Game. Since they’ve played each other once before they can play at the other’s home field to even up the avantage.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I already had interruptus with college baseball. Not having college football will just be continued abstinence.

Maybe winter football .... Have to get the season in before the April NFL draft and college baseball gets serious.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I have asked this question before here and elsewhere.

If they know the number of positive tests then they know the number of tests taken. So, why are they not reported? I asked this question of one of my
doctors and what she told me was this. The US avg per every one hundred test taken would equal roughly five tests positives.

There are just too many damn variables! Thats what America is based on. Keep one variable and they can't pin you down. The "exact number" will never be known.
This is an important question I have asked of our local officials. Apparently, state law requires county health departments to report cases of infectious diseases. That law does not require them to report negative results. So, we know we how many positives, but we do not know how many tests were administered. This is really weird. You would think the negatives would be what counties would want to report.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
This makes it really easy. Add in the Domers and you got 12 teams. Play each once & the top 2 play in the Championship Game. Since they’ve played each other once before they can play at the other’s home field to even up the avantage.
Your cavalier position of just throwing these 3 teams out of football for the season is foolishness. How would you like it if we were one of the three out of 15 teams to be excluded all together?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Georgia passed laws or the Governor used executive privilege to prevent GT from playing football I’d hope I wasn’t the only one sitting around pissed. Apparently that’s ok up there in that neck of the woods. You know how those people are up there. I don’t hear them being outraged. They seem to like their dicktatorships.
I was hoping we would have football this fall. At least some version of the sport I love. But, "this is my freedom to flaunt laws I don't like" attitude is killing any chance. It is so sad. We should be enjoying a life more or less back to normal right now. Even Italy is reopening almost everything while we may be returning to a STAY AT HOME order in the South. Oh well, some of us have decided the people getting free of this virus are the dumb ones.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I was hoping we would have football this fall. At least some version of the sport I love. But, "this is my freedom to flaunt laws I don't like" attitude is killing any chance. It is so sad. We should be enjoying a life more or less back to normal right now. Even Italy is reopening almost everything while we may be returning to a STAY AT HOME order in the South. Oh well, some of us have decided the people getting free of this virus are the dumb ones.
The rules you cited are ignorant. Players can stay in a dorm isolated from others. The staff can take precautions just like my team does. The team can have food delivered/catered. They can take a charter flight or busses to & from games. To impose a 14 day quarantine is idiotic. Completely idiotic. Glad some of you are oh so smart & can dream up this type of logic. I’m just a regular old practical guy that doesn’t fold the tent at every obstacle presented.

TechPreacher

Banned
One proposal league athletic directors are considering is dividing the ACC’s 15 schools — traditional football independent and partial conference member Notre Dame would be included — into three geographic pods of five. Teams would play each pod rival twice, accounting for eight games.

The aim then would be, in concert with the Southeastern Conference, to add a ninth, and hopefully 10th, contest for each school, preserving the four annual ACC-SEC in-state rivalries: Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Louisville-Kentucky.

Remember, teams in different pods can play one another, but probably not twice.

Option No. 1
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke.
Pod B: Virginia Tech, Virginia, Clemson, N.C. State, Wake Forest
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame.

Option No. 2
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech.
Pod B: North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia.

Option No. 3
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville.
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech.

Link
https://richmond.com/sports/college...SS5XWKnvqaBPOLunFvKMD1vT_u6aRQ0P5QkNMpWezNiRU

Regardless of how they arrange the pods, there are a few "rules" that must be followed.
  • UNC and UVA have to play each other (to preserve the South's oldest rivalry).
  • VT and UVA have to play (I think it's a state law).
  • I'm pretty sure that UM and FSU would have to play, also.
  • I'm not sure how necessary it is for all the NC schools to play each other.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Regardless of how they arrange the pods, there are a few "rules" that must be followed.
  • UNC and UVA have to play each other (to preserve the South's oldest rivalry).
  • VT and UVA have to play (I think it's a state law).
  • I'm pretty sure that UM and FSU would have to play, also.
  • I'm not sure how necessary it is for all the NC schools to play each other.
I wonder if the Virginia state law requires that game if neither UVA or VT is playing football.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
One proposal league athletic directors are considering is dividing the ACC’s 15 schools — traditional football independent and partial conference member Notre Dame would be included — into three geographic pods of five. Teams would play each pod rival twice, accounting for eight games.

The aim then would be, in concert with the Southeastern Conference, to add a ninth, and hopefully 10th, contest for each school, preserving the four annual ACC-SEC in-state rivalries: Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Louisville-Kentucky.

Remember, teams in different pods can play one another, but probably not twice.

Option No. 1
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke.
Pod B: Virginia Tech, Virginia, Clemson, N.C. State, Wake Forest

Option No. 2
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech.

Option No. 3
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville.
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech.

Link
https://richmond.com/sports/college...SS5XWKnvqaBPOLunFvKMD1vT_u6aRQ0P5QkNMpWezNiRU

Option 3 there is the one i came up with looking at it too. The North is all former Big East schools, the Central is all tenured ACC schools, and the South maintains the marquee ACC rivalries.

- largely regional without too many crazy road trips other than UL/Miami, but they’re both gonna have a tough time regardless.
- keeps all 4 NC schools together
- creates a large number of regional and/or historical matchups that will maintain fan/media interest.
- has some semblance of competitive balance despite the South being a little stacked.
- doesn’t stop any of the marquee rivalries.

If UVA/VPI refuse to be split then UVA moves up to the North, ND moves down to the South, and Clemson moves up to the Central. Clemson is happy with tenured ACC schools. ND is happy with Tech, Miami, FSU. And UVA is sad but that’s what you get for demanding to stay with VPI.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Tuesday he would like to see the college football season delayed to evaluate the circumstances on campuses as students return during the coronavirus pandemic.

"I don't anticipate a 12-game schedule," Swarbrick told ESPN on Tuesday. "I'd like to start a little later. The value of starting later is you really get to see how your university has done. You have the benefit of all of that information and knowledge, and so I'd like to start a little later. The number for me is probably somewhere between 8 and 10 [games], but whatever is right for the health and safety of the players."

Link

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have seen that the ACC and SEC are considering a team game schedule + 1. IE allow Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Florida versus Florida State, etc.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard tonight that the Falcons, if games are played, will only allow 10K to 20K in MBS. I wonder if Tech - ND (IF it is played) will have that same crowd limit there.

If played, it would make sense to be the same number. However, why not 10K? Why not 20K. They should have a definitive number by now,
don't you think?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

If played, it would make sense to be the same number. However, why not 10K? Why not 20K. They should have a definitive number by now,
don't you think?
It's not that easy. It would be don't go over this number. But say you get 4 season tickets those 4 can seat together but no one else can be 6 foot from them. Yes it would be easy if no matter how many season tickets you have everyone has to been 6 foot apart but I don't see them doing that to every season ticket holder.

It's not that easy. It would be don't go over this number. But say you get 4 season tickets those 4 can seat together but no one else can be 6 foot from them. Yes it would be easy if no matter how many season tickets you have everyone has to been 6 foot apart but I don't see them doing that to every season ticket holder.
It should be considerably easier for Tech, since we sell so few season tickets anyway. As far as visiting fans, tough luck IMO.