ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

GTFLETCH

Banned
“What we’ve suggested is if they play conference games only plus one game — because we know the ACC and SEC like to play their rivalry games — if they went in that direction, then we’d provide an alternative,” said Gary Stokan, the CEO of Peach Bowl Inc., which operates the annual Kickoff Games.

“We’ve said we’ll match up West Virginia versus Virginia on Monday night on ESPN on Labor Day, and then the next week we’ll play the North Carolina-Auburn game that’s scheduled,” Stokan said. The Tar Heels and Tigers are are scheduled to play the third and final Kickoff Game this season on Sept. 12. Stokan’s plan lets Florida and Georgia exit to play their ACC/SEC games and gives WVU, Virginia, UNC and Auburn, who do not have an annual non-conference rivalry game, a simple “plus one” game outside of conference play.

Stokan said he believes that if the Big 12, ACC and SEC nix non-conference games and select a “plus one” model, then the Power 5 will also agree to only play Power 5 teams in their non-conference game. If that’s the outcome, there could be competition for those non-conference games, but the Kickoff Games will make it easy on WVU, Virginia, North Carolina and Auburn.

Link

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Wouldn’t mind a shorter season of 6 games starting in like October if folks start helping to lower the spread. 5 pod games plus rival game.

heck, I wouldn’t mind a full season after a vaccine is (hopefully) distributed in early 2021.

May make sense to postpone

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn’t mind a shorter season of 6 games starting in like October if folks start helping to lower the spread. 5 pod games plus rival game.

heck, I wouldn’t mind a full season after a vaccine is (hopefully) distributed in early 2021.

May make sense to postpone
That would only be five games. Can't play yourself in a five team pod system.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
“What we’ve suggested is if they play conference games only plus one game — because we know the ACC and SEC like to play their rivalry games — if they went in that direction, then we’d provide an alternative,” said Gary Stokan, the CEO of Peach Bowl Inc., which operates the annual Kickoff Games.

“We’ve said we’ll match up West Virginia versus Virginia on Monday night on ESPN on Labor Day, and then the next week we’ll play the North Carolina-Auburn game that’s scheduled,” Stokan said. The Tar Heels and Tigers are are scheduled to play the third and final Kickoff Game this season on Sept. 12. Stokan’s plan lets Florida and Georgia exit to play their ACC/SEC games and gives WVU, Virginia, UNC and Auburn, who do not have an annual non-conference rivalry game, a simple “plus one” game outside of conference play.

Stokan said he believes that if the Big 12, ACC and SEC nix non-conference games and select a “plus one” model, then the Power 5 will also agree to only play Power 5 teams in their non-conference game. If that’s the outcome, there could be competition for those non-conference games, but the Kickoff Games will make it easy on WVU, Virginia, North Carolina and Auburn.

Link

Gary Stokan says a lot of things. If the ACC and SEC have interconference games during the beginning couple of weeks of the season that throws out the ability of the conference to control the safety measures of all teams that compete. It also throws out the ability of the conference to change schedules on the fly. I don't understand what playing the games at MBS for the kickoff classic does for anyone other than the Peach Bowl organization. It doesn't make things easier for the ACC, Big 12, or SEC. It doesn't make travel better for any of the teams. It doesn't make adjusting schedules easier for the conferences. Fans won't likely be allowed in the stadium, so it doesn't create the pro-stadium atmosphere for the players. The only thing that it could possible do is provide TV money for the Peach Bowl organization. It is a bad idea all around.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's forget sports, everyone stay in our houses, no social interaction, and blame it all on the government. Everything must be postponed until after the new year. Or maybe 2021. Sorry if you lost your jobs and businesses.

We are all so panicked about this dreadful pandemic we must not do anything until we have screwed everything up beyond anything imaginable.

Cancel the season now!

Sorry, I think I am getting crazy with all the social distancing.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
My son's kids are in Greensboro and they are struggling with a decision. 30% of the teachers are not returning to the classroom. Another 30% said only with mandatory masks.
Smart teachers. I don't blame them at all for not wanting to be in a classroom with that many kids. They should at least be required to wear masks. Good to see that some people still have good sense.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Gary Stokan says a lot of things. If the ACC and SEC have interconference games during the beginning couple of weeks of the season that throws out the ability of the conference to control the safety measures of all teams that compete. It also throws out the ability of the conference to change schedules on the fly. I don't understand what playing the games at MBS for the kickoff classic does for anyone other than the Peach Bowl organization. It doesn't make things easier for the ACC, Big 12, or SEC. It doesn't make travel better for any of the teams. It doesn't make adjusting schedules easier for the conferences. Fans won't likely be allowed in the stadium, so it doesn't create the pro-stadium atmosphere for the players. The only thing that it could possible do is provide TV money for the Peach Bowl organization. It is a bad idea all around.
It may allow more fans to attend a game at MBS as its capacity is more than Bobby Dodd (especially during a social distancing season)

GTFLETCH

Banned
Three Power 5 conferences are actively trying to preserve their 14 non-conference games among the ACC, Big 12 and SEC after the Big Ten and Pac-12 opted last week to cancel all non-conference games as the COVID-19 pandemic grips the country. The three Power 5 conferences are discussing several scheduling options, which could also be tweaked over the next two weeks. It's possible one or all three could move to an eight-game conference schedule with one or two non-conference games; a nine-game conference schedule with one non-conference game against a Power 5 opponent; and a 10-game, conference-only schedule.

Notre Dame is expected to be an honorary member of the ACC for the 2020 season should a fall football schedule be developed. If so, one of Notre Dame's non-conference would likely be at home against Arkansas. The Razorbacks are scheduled to travel to Notre Dame in Week 2.

"As we stand here today what I believe with our conversations with commissioner Sankey, the SEC, the Big 12 and the ACC are on the same page as far as our collective desire to be patient before making any decisions," Arkansas athletics director Hunter Yurachek said. "You look at some of the in-state rivalries that exist, especially between the SEC and the ACC, it makes sense that Clemson should play South Carolina, Georgia should play Georgia Tech and Florida should play Florida State. Just eliminating those games because you want to play a conference only schedule, at least at this point, does not make a great deal of sense. All the options are on the table,I just want to play football this year. And I think (so do) our football team, our football staff. If that’s eight SEC games and one non-conference game or 10 SEC games, we’ll play whatever we’re able to play this year." Yurachek further stated

As those public-relations campaigns kick into high gear, so is the work behind the scenes to save non-conference games among Power 5 programs. The odd men out: FCS and Group of 5 programs.

Link

LibertyTurns

Banned
One proposal league athletic directors are considering is dividing the ACC’s 15 schools — traditional football independent and partial conference member Notre Dame would be included — into three geographic pods of five. Teams would play each pod rival twice, accounting for eight games.

The aim then would be, in concert with the Southeastern Conference, to add a ninth, and hopefully 10th, contest for each school, preserving the four annual ACC-SEC in-state rivalries: Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Louisville-Kentucky.

Remember, teams in different pods can play one another, but probably not twice.

Option No. 1
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke.
Pod B: Virginia Tech, Virginia, Clemson, N.C. State, Wake Forest
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame.

Option No. 2
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech.
Pod B: North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia.
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame.

Option No. 3
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville.
Pod B: North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia.
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech.

Link
https://richmond.com/sports/college...SS5XWKnvqaBPOLunFvKMD1vT_u6aRQ0P5QkNMpWezNiRU
Maybe it should be:

Academics POD: GT, Notre Dame, BC, Dook, Vag
Used to be cool POD: Miami, FSU, Cuse, Vag Tech, Pitt
Other POD: UNC, Clemp, Wake, Nc St, Louisville

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It may allow more fans to attend a game at MBS as its capacity is more than Bobby Dodd (especially during a social distancing season)

I don't see fans being in the stands. Fans from Virginia and West Virginia are going to travel to Atlanta and then attend a large sporting event in an enclosed stadium? Even with the roof open, I don't believe there is enough fresh airflow for it to be an "outside" venue as far as dissipation of virus is concerned. (I might be wrong about that.). Many Auburn fans wouldn't have to travel as far, but UNC fans would. Even if there is football this fall, and even if the conferences allow one inter-conference rivalry type game I don't see them allowing that in the opening weekend and I don't see them playing the game at remote neutral sites.

Stokan speaks marketing talk not reality. He is the same person who said years ago that the GTAA, GT fans, the mutt athletic association, and mutt fans were all pushing for and excited about the idea of the GT-mutt game being moved from Thanksgiving to play it in the kickoff game. His glasses are so "peach" colored that nothing he says can be taken seriously.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Stokan speaks marketing talk not reality. He is the same person who said years ago that the GTAA, GT fans, the mutt athletic association, and mutt fans were all pushing for and excited about the idea of the GT-mutt game being moved from Thanksgiving to play it in the kickoff game. His glasses are so "peach" colored that nothing he says can be taken seriously.

I’m 100% in favor of that.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't heard any mention of the fact that Mass. and NY currently require anyone traveling from out of state to quarantine for 14 days. In NY you lose your right to sick pay if you travel out of state for "inessential business". So, the state employee coaches and support staff of 'cuse would not get sick leave if they contracted covid if they traveled out of state for a game. Pennsylvania "strongly encourages" a 14 day quarantine (and may soon require.)

Wondering how 'cuse, BC, Pitt could possibly play football this season if they can't travel or have teams travel to them without a 2-week wait. I really don't see things in the south clearing up enough in the next month for Gov. Cuomo to lift those restrictions. (Pro teams got a special exemption, but it requires the whole team to group quarantine while in NY. College sports are not included and I don't see how a college team could stay quarantined for a whole season. No class, no dining hall, no visits home, have to provide sequestered housng...)

Does the ACC play without them or do they sink the season for everyone?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I haven't heard any mention of the fact that Mass. and NY currently require anyone traveling from out of state to quarantine for 14 days. In NY you lose your right to sick pay if you travel out of state for "inessential business". So, the state employee coaches and support staff of 'cuse would not get sick leave if they contracted covid if they traveled out of state for a game. Pennsylvania "strongly encourages" a 14 day quarantine (and may soon require.)

Wondering how 'cuse, BC, Pitt could possibly play football this season if they can't travel or have teams travel to them without a 2-week wait. I really don't see things in the south clearing up enough in the next month for Gov. Cuomo to lift those restrictions. (Pro teams got a special exemption, but it requires the whole team to group quarantine while in NY. College sports are not included and I don't see how a college team could stay quarantined for a whole season. No class, no dining hall, no visits home, have to provide sequestered housng...)

Does the ACC play without them or do they sink the season for everyone?

Doesn't the NY quarantine only apply to states that fall below certain criteria for things like percentage of positive tests? If so, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville, and ND might be above that mark so the teams could travel to NY and Syracuse could travel to those states. That would kind of support the idea of playing in pods.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn't the NY quarantine only apply to states that fall below certain criteria for things like percentage of positive tests? If so, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville, and ND might be above that mark so the teams could travel to NY and Syracuse could travel to those states. That would kind of support the idea of playing in pods.

"Based upon a seven day rolling average, of positive tests in excess of 10%, or number of positive cases exceeding 10 per 100,000 residents."

Which is currently 22 states including most of the ACC. But Mass. only exempts NY, NJ, RI, and CT. So, BC would only be able to play 'cuse as it stands. (AFAIK/IIUC). This is all very changeable and any Governor could order more or less restrictions tomorrow. I just haven't heard travel restrictions mentioned much and they could torpedo any plan the ACC comes up with.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Here are the states that if you are coming from or returning from (if you are NY resident) you are required to quarantine for 14 days upon entrance into NY. (this also applies to NJ and CT and Chicago has a similar ordinance). My mother-in-law was in the hospital all week so we have been keeping an eye on this as if the worst was to happen during this we would be unable to go to NY for a funeral. we were also supposed to be in Chicago last weekend for the wedding of my wife's best friend from childhood but the Chicago ordinance nixed that. When you come into NY you have to tell them where you are quarantining and there are specific requirements you have to follow, if you don't let them know or break quarantine its a $2000 fine.
Here's the metrics the are using
"This is based upon a seven day rolling average, of positive tests in excess of 10%, or number of positive cases exceeding 10 per 100,000 residents. "
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Idaho
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Nevada
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Wisconsin

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
"Based upon a seven day rolling average, of positive tests in excess of 10%, or number of positive cases exceeding 10 per 100,000 residents."

Which is currently 22 states including most of the ACC. But Mass. only exempts NY, NJ, RI, and CT. So, BC would only be able to play 'cuse as it stands. (AFAIK/IIUC). This is all very changeable and any Governor could order more or less restrictions tomorrow. I just haven't heard travel restrictions mentioned much and they could torpedo any plan the ACC comes up with.

I haven't seen the Mass. restrictions. They could be changed, and having a pod system with teams in the NorthEast and upper mid-West would probably help with that.

However, I am extremely doubtful that any football is going to be played this Fall. Even though the ACC, Big 12, and SEC are being ripped by the press for not announcing restrictions, (and by the reasoning of the press, pushing for a complete season), I think waiting to make any announcement makes more sense. Why announce that it is conference only and just 10 games now, then possible announce next week a delay in starting and reduction to 8 games, and then a little after that announce starting in mid-October and only playing 6 games, and then after that announce postponing the season until Spring? I don't think anyone in the Big 10 or the Pac12 is confident that they will indeed be able to play. I don't understand what is gained by making such announcements at this time.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I always thought it would be access to playoffs that drove ND to join a conference. Maybe it will be getting left off everyone's schedules that does it. The ACC should leverage inclusion into our conference schedule with a promise to join.
Best idea yet. IF, there is a in conference season only, ND could be in a world of hurt. Why add another tough game when no one else is? Doesn’t the ACC have one more conference game anyway?

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, Here are the states that if you are coming from or returning from (if you are NY resident) you are required to quarantine for 14 days upon entrance into NY. (this also applies to NJ and CT and Chicago has a similar ordinance). My mother-in-law was in the hospital all week so we have been keeping an eye on this as if the worst was to happen during this we would be unable to go to NY for a funeral. we were also supposed to be in Chicago last weekend for the wedding of my wife's best friend from childhood but the Chicago ordinance nixed that. When you come into NY you have to tell them where you are quarantining and there are specific requirements you have to follow, if you don't let them know or break quarantine its a $2000 fine.
Here's the metrics the are using
"This is based upon a seven day rolling average, of positive tests in excess of 10%, or number of positive cases exceeding 10 per 100,000 residents. "
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Idaho
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Nevada
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Wisconsin

I have asked this question before here and elsewhere.

If they know the number of positive tests then they know the number of tests taken. So, why are they not reported? I asked this question of one of my
doctors and what she told me was this. The US avg per every one hundred test taken would equal roughly five tests positives.

There are just too many damn variables! Thats what America is based on. Keep one variable and they can't pin you down. The "exact number" will never be known.