ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If they are adjusting what teams they will play (and they obviously are) I can not imagine fans will be allowed on campus at all (including tail gating). Just don't see colleges opening up their campuses to the masses.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think if we can get to the point games are actually played it's a win. As the weeks go by, our chances of that seems to be shrinking.

I don't see fans in the stands at this point. IMO, fans in the stands may be a bridge too far given the logistics and staffing it takes to have fans. If anything, I can see players parents, coaches family, and maybe the mega donors.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IMO, fans in the stands may be a bridge too far given the logistics and staffing it takes to have fans.

This. With the layoffs and furloughs already going on, staffing for minimal fans doesn't make a lot of economic sense, especially when you consider the additional costs of constant satization of fan areas. If we are going to play at all, which I am starting to doubt, then it will be in an empty stadium. After all, if the TV money is all we can reasonably expect, then all that's needed is a game, not fans.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This. With the layoffs and furloughs already going on, staffing for minimal fans doesn't make a lot of economic sense, especially when you consider the additional costs of constant satization of fan areas. If we are going to play at all, which I am starting to doubt, then it will be in an empty stadium. After all, if the TV money is all we can reasonably expect, then all that's needed is a game, not fans.
I could be wrong and hope I am but if they feel it's not safe to let fans at the game even if you have to keep them 6 foot apart , then they would have to say it is unsafe to play.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong and hope I am but if they feel it's not safe to let fans at the game even if you have to keep them 6 foot apart , then they would have to say it is unsafe to play.
With players and staff they can commit to testing them regularly, quarantining when necessary, and possibly cancelling games if necessary. Fans are a much bigger risk, especially when you consider tailgating.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Did I miss were the ACC was going to either ADD 2 ACC games to each team's schedule, or allow 1 additional ACC team to be added to the schedule while keeping/adding ND on the schedule?
I ask because the ACC currently only schedules 8 conference games for each team during the regular season.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Somebody please explain to me again why a ten-game season is significantly safer than a 12-game season?

Travel can't be the reason. Several of our conference games are farther away then the non-conference foes, like UGA which is an hour and a half bus ride away.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
With players and staff they can commit to testing them regularly, quarantining when necessary, and possibly cancelling games if necessary. Fans are a much bigger risk, especially when you consider tailgating.
Agree. It seems to be working well in Europe with top flight soccer leagues so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for college football.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Why would ND join any conference, it's about the $ and they're big bucks for CFB wherever, whoever they play and it looks to me like we're headed to an 8 team playoff, which means they have a better shot at getting in more years than not, them being an at large with a good W/L most years.

Looks to me like this is a good year for conference members to get a little feel for everyone regarding expanding number of conference games and how every program likes it. Just my guess. I've thought we would see things change coming out of the shutdown, lots being discovered.

This just me, but I think we will see CFB, maybe not Ivy League, and Pac 12, but the rest. Will be a lot uncovered and people are beginning to wake up and see things as they really are, whatever that is or may be. I know, it has to happen pretty quickly, I sort of think it will. We shall see.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Somebody please explain to me again why a ten-game season is significantly safer than a 12-game season?

Travel can't be the reason. Several of our conference games are farther away then the non-conference foes, like UGA which is an hour and a half bus ride away.
I think the idea is control over safety measures by all schools, and the full control to change the schedule as needed if there are quarantined teams

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Conferences can make their own uniform plan to control testing, quarantining, and other regulations. If you allow OOC games you can’t guarantee those teams are following the same safety measures. It’s more that than the travel. Relieves a LOT of headaches of trying to make an FBS-wide plan (which clearly wasn’t happening). Schedule being a big part of that.

That’s aside from the fact that fewer games is inherently safer.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the idea is control over safety measures by all schools, and the full control to change the schedule as needed if there are quarantined teams

Maybe, but it's crazy to throw out intra-state rivalries. They have to fix that. They could simply come to some basic agreements between conferences to continue these series.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m down for a ACC only schedule this year. We’re playing all the toughest ones anyway: NC, Clemson, UVA and VT, Miami. Lets bring in Wake and N.C. State to maybe have a better W column in this transition year!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but it's crazy to throw out intra-state rivalries. They have to fix that. They could simply come to some basic agreements between conferences to continue these series.

If you throw in non-conference games during the season that takes away the on the fly scheduling advantage. Schultz tweeted yesterday that the mutt game wouldn't necessarily be out even if the conferences go to a conference only schedule.

Play 10 games before Thanksgiving and the in-state rivalry games would still be possible either Thanksgiving week or in early December. It wouldn't affect the ACC's ability to move games or even replay games between teams if a team has to pull out in the middle of the season. Also, playing a non-conference rivalry game after the ACC season wouldn't be as big of an issue if the non-conference team didn't follow the same protocols as the ACC.

The ACC hasn't actually made an announcement as far as I know. If things are changed to a conference only schedule, I don't see the schedule being slightly modified to add two more games. I see the schedules completely starting over. I doubt GT-Syracuse would be on the new schedule.