ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

slugboy

Staff member
Georgia would be away this year. If this happens, I wonder if this affects future schedules.
I also wonder who the extra Atlantic team is—if anyone deserves an easier game, it’s us.
I don’t know what this means for Gardner-Webb’s payday, or if we reschedule UCF since we’ll have missed both games.
I also wonder what happens to our income for this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Georgia would be away this year. If this happens, I wonder if this affects future schedules.
I also wonder who the extra Atlantic team is—if anyone deserves an easier game, it’s us.
I don’t know what this means for Gardner-Webb’s payday, or if we reschedule UCF since we’ll have missed both games.

If this happens, they should adjust the schedules so that the games are more geographically located. No point in keeping things to divisions if it is only an attempt to play some games this season with nothing after the season.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
SEC/ACC should temporarily combine conferences and schedule by proximity. Screw conference championships as I don't expect to have playoffs or conference championship game this fall.

GT playing a schedule of UGA/USCe/Auburn/Clemson/NC State/Duke/Bama/Vandy/UF would be hell for our W-L record, but fun as heck to see.

Now back to reality...
That looks a lot like our 1960s and '70s scheduling.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it seems odd to the cut OOC games to limit travel when that’s the closest team on the schedule.

According to the Big 10, part of the reason they are doing conference only is so they can monitor and ensure that all teams playing are following the rules and testing protocols that he Big 10 is putting into place. Also, if the Big 10 is in total control of the schedule, they can cancel or move games around in the middle of the season if they need to. If two teams have issues and can't play, they can reschedule their opponents to play each other that weekend.

All of that would be true of an ACC only schedule also.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Since the GT/UGA game is at the end of the season, it probably would not affect a 10 game conference schedule, so it might be up to GT and UGA to decide whether to play it. GT certainly could use the money (maybe a MB split pot game) and UGA might need a win for rankings. A decision might not have to be made until a couple of weeks before the game, so it could be played anywhere.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
"Notably, the Yellow Jackets series with UCF was set to end in 2020 after the first game of the series was cancelled in 2017 due to Hurricane Irma."

I'm not highly superstitious, but can we all agree to never schedule UCF again?
While we’re at it, can we permanently nix Alcorn State? The last two times we’ve played them, I found myself in the ER on Game Day. Heck, in 2018 I spent 3 weeks in the Grady Burn Center ICU, and missed most of the season. If we never schedule that accursed school again, it will be too soon.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I would vote for Wake as our extra conference game.