ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like we may still have a game against ND! That can still be a good litmus test for us. We may have improved over the course of the season and they’re not Climpsun

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Do yall think we really won't play uga this year?

Yeah it seems odd to the cut OOC games to limit travel when that’s the closest team on the schedule. Overall though, wouldn’t hate skipping the uga game this year though. It’s a likely loss and we’ll be in better shape to deal with them next year. Although I guess there’s an argument that with all the chaos around the season and potential personnel losses do to quarantining we might be able to steal one.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
According to a tweet by Nicole Auerbach PAC12 is also expected to go to a conference only schedule if they are able to play football this fall.

It feels like it is only a matter of time before all P5 conferences publicly announce that.
Hopefully all we lose are the OOC games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
According to a tweet by Nicole Auerbach PAC12 is also expected to go to a conference only schedule if they are able to play football this fall.

It feels like it is only a matter of time before all P5 conferences publicly announce that.
Hopefully all we lose are the OOC games.
When was the last season we did not play uga?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
None of this makes sense.

First off I agree with this from a distance standpoint.

Second, I simply see this as a first step by the conferences to save whatever of the season they can. To me this is the conferences waving the white flag and saying we don't think we can play a full season so this is now what we are going to prepare for.

I think the next step if they have to go to it is a division only schedule (which would make even less sense geographically). If they get to that point i'd argue conferences should schedule purely based on distances (so the ACC would have to schedule more North and South this year). SEC would need to rework their East-West divisions.

No matter what they decide the conferences have to have some runway to prepare for the season. I think this is mainly about narrowing out the options they think are most unlikely and then working forward from there.

While losing the OOC games don't mean alot for most of the schools (who often have no more than 1 decent OOC game), it is likely a loss of multiple home games and that is going to hurt. Ohio State's AD mentioned a couple of months ago that every lost home game was $7M in revenue they lose.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
None of this makes sense.

Most Georgia fans dont even want to play us. Ask them. They have nothing to gain by beating us and a L would undoubtedly knock them from CFP. The Swilling Pickens fight was the last straw. They have completely dismantled us the last 3 decades so why should they want to keep playing us?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
SEC/ACC should temporarily combine conferences and schedule by proximity. Screw conference championships as I don't expect to have playoffs or conference championship game this fall.

GT playing a schedule of UGA/USCe/Auburn/Clemson/NC State/Duke/Bama/Vandy/UF would be hell for our W-L record, but fun as heck to see.

Now back to reality...