ACC SoS Rankings

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From Tom Fornelli at CBSSports

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-easier-slate-florida-state-faces-tough-road/

2. Georgia Tech
The Yellow Jackets will open the season on the road against Clemson. Welcome to the ACC, Geoff Collins. The noncon includes a road trip to Collins' old school, Temple, and home games against The Citadel and the annual meeting with Georgia. The good news for the Jackets is that four of their final five games will be at home, but they'll also be playing those five games consecutively as their second bye is on Oct. 26.

He ranked the ACC SoS this way
1. UNC
2. GT
3. L'ville
4. FSU
5. Duke
6. Pitt
7. BC
8. Syracuse
9. Wake
10. Clemson
11. Virginia
12. NC State
13. Miami
14. VT

Deleted member 2897

From Tom Fornelli at CBSSports

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-easier-slate-florida-state-faces-tough-road/

2. Georgia Tech
The Yellow Jackets will open the season on the road against Clemson. Welcome to the ACC, Geoff Collins. The noncon includes a road trip to Collins' old school, Temple, and home games against The Citadel and the annual meeting with Georgia. The good news for the Jackets is that four of their final five games will be at home, but they'll also be playing those five games consecutively as their second bye is on Oct. 26.

He ranked the ACC SoS this way
1. UNC
2. GT
3. L'ville
4. FSU
5. Duke
6. Pitt
7. BC
8. Syracuse
9. Wake
10. Clemson
11. Virginia
12. NC State
13. Miami
14. VT

Just wait until 2020. 10 of our 12 games are against teams who were ranked last year. Those teams will have ebbs and flows, but look at our 2019 schedule and then imagine Notre Dame, UCF, and Syracuse getting mixed in (those 3 went 34-5 last year LOL).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just wait until 2020. 10 of our 12 games are against teams who were ranked last year. Those teams will have ebbs and flows, but look at our 2019 schedule and then imagine Notre Dame, UCF, and Syracuse getting mixed in (those 3 went 34-5 last year LOL).[/QUOTE

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There's been a bunch of talk about GT playing "big boy football" so I guess the schedule qualifies? What's the problem?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That 2020 schedule is a BEAST

All the schedules from 2020 - 2027 include two OOC P5 teams. In addition to Georgia...

2020 - Notre Dame
2021 - Notre Dame
2022 - Ole Miss
2023 - Ole Miss
2024 - Notre Dame
2025 - Colorado
2026 - Colorado
2027 - Notre Dame

SOS-wise, we're good to go for years to come.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
O great - i ll do it.

Thats too optimistic .

No need for further posts.

You are presuming that Clemson continues to be world-beaters. I feel quite confident that at some point in the future Clemson will not be a top 25 program, much less consensus perennial top-5. Plenty of once great programs are now warm-ups for teams that once had little chance against them. Now it might take 80 years for us to be top 5 and Clemson to be a non-factor, but I'm guessing that condition is more likely to exist than not at some point.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
You are presuming that Clemson continues to be world-beaters. I feel quite confident that at some point in the future Clemson will not be a top 25 program, much less consensus perennial top-5. Plenty of once great programs are now warm-ups for teams that once had little chance against them. Now it might take 80 years for us to be top 5 and Clemson to be a non-factor, but I'm guessing that condition is more likely to exist than not at some point.
its gonna take someone to dthrone them. FSU seemed at the top of the world, but they suffered from the same thing Mark Richt did in his tenure at uga: failure to recruit in the trenches. Its why FSU fell off a cliff and why Richt never righted the ship in the second half. Kirby has been here 1/4 of the time as Richt, but has already recruited 4x as many top 50 overall offensive lineman as Richt did in his entire tenure, at 8 for Kirby and 2 for Richt. FSU didn't have the same 5 OL start back to back games until week 8 last season. Once they start to falter in the trenches, then we can see failure.

IMO, Clemson is as good as Dabo is there. FSU needs to resurface, and the ACC needs to find its #2 team, especially now that weve had 6 teams win the coastal in 6 years, the throne is wide open for the taking. They will fall IF (And thats a big if) Dabo leaves to Alabama when Saban finally retires.

Every team goes in cycles, and they usually follow either the age of the coach, or the coach in general. Clemson doesn't look to have either of those fighting against him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
its gonna take someone to dthrone them. FSU seemed at the top of the world, but they suffered from the same thing Mark Richt did in his tenure at uga: failure to recruit in the trenches. Its why FSU fell off a cliff and why Richt never righted the ship in the second half. Kirby has been here 1/4 of the time as Richt, but has already recruited 4x as many top 50 overall offensive lineman as Richt did in his entire tenure, at 8 for Kirby and 2 for Richt. FSU didn't have the same 5 OL start back to back games until week 8 last season. Once they start to falter in the trenches, then we can see failure.

IMO, Clemson is as good as Dabo is there. FSU needs to resurface, and the ACC needs to find its #2 team, especially now that weve had 6 teams win the coastal in 6 years, the throne is wide open for the taking. They will fall IF (And thats a big if) Dabo leaves to Alabama when Saban finally retires.

Every team goes in cycles, and they usually follow either the age of the coach, or the coach in general. Clemson doesn't look to have either of those fighting against him.
Dabo does love Alabama as does his wife. Both graduates. What he loves most about Alabama is that every year he has that as a hammer while his agent negotiates with Clemson. Works wonders to get stuff, including assistants' salaries. But coach there? When hell freezes over. He knows the snakepit that is Tuscaloosa and has the perfect job that he hmself scripted. Smart or the guy at Tennessee are much better prospects if you are a betting man. (Swinney has this weakness: he actually believes that "all in" culture he has created in the Up Country. He may succumb to the disease of politics when he gets bored, and he would fit right into that state's philosophy, but Alabama? Never.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
80 years? Now, that is the infinite number of monkeys typing theory writ large. As for me, what is after I'm gone is a non-starter. It is the now that matters where sports are concerned. It is just as likely under your scenario that both Clemson and GT, as well as Alabama, Ohio State and Oklahoma, are busted out at the same time. That's no fun.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
80 years? Now, that is the infinite number of monkeys typing theory writ large.
I'm not sure 80 samples is quite equivalent to an infinite number of monkeys, much less writ large. But that was exactly my point...'too optimistic' is just a matter of perspective and timing. It wasn't so long ago that the word clemson was the base of a verb, after all.

IMO, Clemson is as good as Dabo is there.
I agree. That means they only one unfortunate incident or unbelievable offer away from a decline. I'm not wishing bad or good on anyone, but things can change fast (see FSU, as you pointed out.)