ACC/SEC players declaring for the draft

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
So Florida had like 7 players transfer, 4 jump to the NFL, and are coming off a 4-8 season complete with a loss to Georgia Southern, and they are RANKED in early pre-season polls for next year?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen SEC bias that bad. That's just absurd.

UGA being ranked after beating us was absurd too. I wonder what the average ranking attrition rate from preseason to postseason is for the SEC. I bet they lead the nation in that statistic.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
So Florida had like 7 players transfer, 4 jump to the NFL, and are coming off a 4-8 season complete with a loss to Georgia Southern, and they are RANKED in early pre-season polls for next year?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen SEC bias that bad. That's just absurd.

Florida lost 10 starters for the season last year that they get back. If I remember correctly, they actually had a total of 23 players who missed at least one game for them during the season because of injury so they were forced to play some of their young talent.

With that much talent coming back and the class they're about to sign, I can understand them being in the top 25. I think they will be at the end of the season. AAMOF, I wouldn't be surprised if they beat UGA pretty soundly this year.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Florida is a dumpster fire. Muschamp will get fired about half way through next season. He is trying to discipline a bunch of prima donnas. They don't like it and will not play for him.

Go Jackets!

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Florida is a dumpster fire. Muschamp will get fired about half way through next season. He is trying to discipline a bunch of prima donnas. They don't like it and will not play for him.

Go Jackets!
That is some of it, Jerry, and if the start of next season doesn't go well, it may turn out like you say. The new offensive coordinator is big question mark. But daBuzz is also correct, they have plenty of talent coming off injuries, and the team is desperate to prove itself. They could surprise.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That is some of it, Jerry, and if the start of next season doesn't go well, it may turn out like you say. The new offensive coordinator is big question mark. But daBuzz is also correct, they have plenty of talent coming off injuries, and the team is desperate to prove itself. They could surprise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Florida wins the East. The new OC is perfect for their talent.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

The running back for them, Kelvin Taylor is the son of Fred Taylor, the NFL running back. He was forced to play as a true freshman at the end of the year because their top 2 RB's went down. Jones will be back from a knee injury in the fall but I expect him to back up Taylor who played like a stud (111 carries for 508 yards when they had a QB (Morningwheg) who couldn't throw the football and everyone in the stadium knew they were going to run it. They also get Mack Brown back who had 543 yards on 148 carries. That means they'll have 3 big strong backs to run the football in their new spread offense.

As far as QB's, they get back Tyler Murphy and Jeff Driskel so they'll have 2 experienced senior QB's back. Just the return of those experienced skill positions alone will make them better. Add in the WR's they get back, plus the ones that are coming in as recruits and they'll have the skill position people to succeed.

With their new OC Roper from Duke, they're going to run an uptempo offense. Given that their defense expects to be strong again and the fact that they get more of the defensive starters back, I expect them to be have an Auburn-type resurgence this year. Not a national championship, mind you, but once again towards the top of the SEC East, rather than the bottom.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The running back for them, Kelvin Taylor is the son of Fred Taylor, the NFL running back. He was forced to play as a true freshman at the end of the year because their top 2 RB's went down. Jones will be back from a knee injury in the fall but I expect him to back up Taylor who played like a stud (111 carries for 508 yards when they had a QB (Morningwheg) who couldn't throw the football and everyone in the stadium knew they were going to run it. They also get Mack Brown back who had 543 yards on 148 carries. That means they'll have 3 big strong backs to run the football in their new spread offense.

As far as QB's, they get back Tyler Murphy and Jeff Driskel so they'll have 2 experienced senior QB's back. Just the return of those experienced skill positions alone will make them better. Add in the WR's they get back, plus the ones that are coming in as recruits and they'll have the skill position people to succeed.

With their new OC Roper from Duke, they're going to run an uptempo offense. Given that their defense expects to be strong again and the fact that they get more of the defensive starters back, I expect them to be have an Auburn-type resurgence this year. Not a national championship, mind you, but once again towards the top of the SEC East, rather than the bottom.

Murphy is at BC now.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That will be their problem.

LOL, we shall see. Driskel is a prototypical spread QB whom they tried to make a drop-back passer. With the bruisers they have at RB and Driskel's size to match, I think they'll be tough to stop in the offense that their new OC will run.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Was really curious to see how this worked out. 10 out of 32 went undrafted. Most got picked up as free agents, though I'm not sure that's where they saw their fate headed when they declared.

ACC
CLEM - DB Bashaud Breeland (4th round)
CLEM - WR Martavis Bryant (4th round)
CLEM - WR Sammy Watkins (1st round)
FSU - RB James Wilder Jr. (UNDRAFTED)
FSU - WR Kelvin Benjamin (1st round)
FSU - DT Timmy Jernigan (2nd round)
SYR - RB Jerome Smith (UNDRAFTED)
UNC - C Russell Bodine (4th round)
UNC - TE Eric Ebron (1st round)

SEC
A&M - QB Johnny Manziel (1st round)
A&M - WR Mike Evans (1st round)
AUB - OT Greg Robinson (1st round)
AUB - RB Tre Mason (3rd round)
BAMA - OT Cyrus Kouandjio (2nd round)
BAMA - S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (1st round)
FLA - CB Loucheiz Purifoy (UNDRAFTED)
FLA - CB Marcus Roberson (UNDRAFTED)
FLA - DT Dominique Easley (1st round)
FLA - LB Ronald Powell (5th round)
LSU - DT Anthony Johnson (UNDRAFTED)
LSU - DT Ego Ferguson (2nd round)
LSU - WR Odell Beckham (1st round)
LSU - WR Jarvis Landry (2nd round)
LSU - RB Jeremy Hill (2nd round)
MIZZOU - RB Henry Josey (UNDRAFTED)
MIZZOU - DE Kony Ealy (2nd round)
TENN - OT Antonio Richardson (UNDRAFTED)
USC - DE Clowney (1st round)
USC - DT Kelcy Quarles (UNDRAFTED)
USC - DB Victor Hampton (UNDRAFTED)
USC - WR Bruce Ellington (4th round)
VAND - WR Chris Boyd - dismissed from team preseason (UNDRAFTED)

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
McShay tweeted these:

For those agents/media members selling "2nd contract" to these young men, what say you to the 36 of 98 underclassmen not drafted?

..and FYI: 44% of 194 underclassmen that declared early from last 3 drafts were not on NFL rosters at end of 2013 season.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I've never understood why anyone would leave a year early if they aren't guaranteed at least 2nd round or already graduated. You're so close to getting your degree and you just throw it all away hoping you'll get drafted on day 3. Basketball is even worse. If I wasn't a guaranteed top 20 pick, I would never leave. I remember when Gani Lawal left after his junior year and I thought it was a terrible move.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
McShay tweeted these:

For those agents/media members selling "2nd contract" to these young men, what say you to the 36 of 98 underclassmen not drafted?

..and FYI: 44% of 194 underclassmen that declared early from last 3 drafts were not on NFL rosters at end of 2013 season.

That's a good point.

I saw another stat during the draft that 50% of players drafted in the 3rd round are not on the roster 3 years after they're drafted and the #'s go down from that round on. Kind of makes me wonder why so many teams want to "move down" in the draft and pick up more draft picks. Unless you have someone like Ozzie Newsome, the GM at New England or the GM at Seattle picking for you, it seems pretty much a crap shoot from the 3rd round on.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
That's a good point.

I saw another stat during the draft that 50% of players drafted in the 3rd round are not on the roster 3 years after they're drafted and the #'s go down from that round on. Kind of makes me wonder why so many teams want to "move down" in the draft and pick up more draft picks. Unless you have someone like Ozzie Newsome, the GM at New England or the GM at Seattle picking for you, it seems pretty much a crap shoot from the 3rd round on.

Aww man no Baalke love? That makes me sad.

I think it's a couple of things. For one they're low risk picks. If you hit on a guy it's probably gonna be a great value for a couple of years. If not no big deal. Sometimes you can package them up to move up in a draft. Sometimes you just need a lot of depth to fill out a roster. Or you can use them how the 49ers occasionally do. To pick up a player another team is trying to unload like they did with Anquan Boldin (6th rounder) and Stevie Johnson (essentially a 7th rounder). Or even take a player you can stash on the PUP and more or less redshirt their rookie year.