ACC released its 2017-18 federal tax return, Total revenue was $464.7 million, up 11.1 percent

GTFLETCH

Banned
Here are the ACC’s distributions to each member in 2017-18.

Clemson: $31.4M
Miami: $31.0M
Boston College: $29.8M
Virginia: $29.7M
Duke: $29.7M
Florida State: $29.7M
Louisville: $29.7M
N.C. State: $29.7
Virginia Tech: $29.5M
Wake Forest: $29.1M
Syracuse: $28.6M
North Carolina: $28.5M
Pittsburgh: $28.3M
Georgia Tech: $28.1M

Notre Dame: $7.9M

Naturally, revenue growth in a conference leads to salary growth for the commissioner. ACC commissioner John Swofford is no exception here with a compensation of $3.5 million for 2017, up from $3.3 million the previous year.

Link
https://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-acc-revenue-taxes-0526-story.html

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
And yet somein another thread were against the actual people generating the revenue getting a piece of it.

No reason in my mind that they don’t come up with some way to compensate athletes for their likeness and image being used to generate millions of dollars for their school, conference, and NCAA. It doesn’t have to be egregious, but something should be done IMO.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
And yet somein another thread were against the actual people generating the revenue getting a piece of it.

No reason in my mind that they don’t come up with some way to compensate athletes for their likeness and image being used to generate millions of dollars for their school, conference, and NCAA. It doesn’t have to be egregious, but something should be done IMO.

Ok by me.

Just dissolve the programs that are bringing in zero, or negative, revenue and use that money for mainly football & men’s basketball.. plenty available to pay players then.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Why are we dead last if we went to a bowl game?
This is 2017-18 when we went 5-6..... 2018-19 wont be released until next year... I am sure we moved up, but I am not sure how much... Since Basketball still stunk!!

June 30, 2018 (SY 2017-18)
28,098,370 - No Bowl Game, No NCAA or NIT

June 30, 2017 (SY 2016-17)
27,435,811 - Tax Slayer Bowl & NIT

June 30, 2016 (SY 2015-16)
22,874,800 - No Bowl Game , No NCAA, NIT

Link
http://www.fin-services.gatech.edu/...ges/gtaa_final_financial_statements_2018_.pdf

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Ok by me.

Just dissolve the programs that are bringing in zero, or negative, revenue and use that money for mainly football & men’s basketball.. plenty available to pay players then.
So ruin college sports so you can pay football and basketball players? No thanks. Allow players to make money on their likeness based on market value. Don’t blow up what remains of college sports so a few players can have more privileges than they already do.

Milwaukee

Banned

Because the minute you do that then every female shotput participant from Delta State to Bowling Green lawyers up and demands they get the same amount as Tua and Nick Bosa.
If you wanna say those aren't revenue generating sports I'd agree completely, but then you have to tear down the system and pay only "profitable" teams and programs and there goes college football and college basketball. Doomed and over.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So ruin college sports so you can pay football and basketball players? No thanks. Allow players to make money on their likeness based on market value. Don’t blow up what remains of college sports so a few players can have more privileges than they already do.

I know you are totally aware of the concept of sarcasm.

To your point - how many, and how much, are the players on our roster going to get for their likeness? Out of 85 on ship, how many?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Because the minute you do that then every female shotput participant from Delta State to Bowling Green lawyers up and demands they get the same amount as Tua and Nick Bosa.
If you wanna say those aren't revenue generating sports I'd agree completely, but then you have to tear down the system and pay only "profitable" teams and programs and there goes college football and college basketball. Doomed and over.

That’s why I said pay the based on their image and likeness being used. If Delta State (or some clothing company) want to use said shotput participant to promote the school (or brand), then she should be paid.

I’m pretty sure Ms. shotput participant can already receive compensation for her image and likeness do to the fact that she is in an olympic sport. Could be wrong on that though.

Point being, the athletes are paid for their image and likeness being used. Go back to when Calvin was here. Do you think every GT fan’s favorite number was 21 during that time or that they bought those jerseys because of Calvin? It was no coincidence that the bookstore had way more 21 jerseys than 35 or 17 or any other number. Same with JT, Dwyer, Bebe, MB...etc. I think those players should receive some sort of compensation for that. What if Nike or Adidas wants to use a heisman candidate for an ad? They should be paid for it IMO.