ACC Realignment?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
So there is some chatter from our old AD Dan R about a possible re-aligning of the ACC. Nothing specific was mentioned, but the topic seems to be gaining some momentum.

I for one just want two things if things were to change. I want FSU and Clemson on the schedule every year.

couldn't care less about playing Duke or virginia.

Mildly care about UNC, Miami and VaTech.

What say you?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
i would love the North/South split with UM in the north. Don't think it is going to happen, but I think that is the best idea.

AnotherBee

Georgia Tech Fan
An ACC South division would be a lot of fun to watch and sell a lot of tickets, but it would be freakin' tough sledding. Remember that Atlantic and Coastal came from the ACC wanting to separate the conference powers of Miami and FSU and to have the NC schools play each other every year. A geographical alignment would see a wicked strong ACC South and a much weaker North.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Why UM to the north?

their travel is horrible any way you slice it, and actually Miami has centers of fans and alumni from its days in the Big east in the Northeast United states.

I think if you gave miami a guarantee cross over game with FSU, you would have these divisions.

ACC North
Miami
Virginia Tech
Lousiville
Cuse
B.C.
Pitt.
Virginia

ACC south
FSU
GaTech
Clemson
UNC
Duke
NCState
Wake

I know and acknowledge the problems in those divisions, Virginia wants to be with UNC/Duke and having both Wake and Duke in the same division isn't good for competitive balance, but still I think these create the most local rivalries.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Conference's strongest teams going forward: FSU, Clemson, Miami, maybe VT, maybe GT, maybe UNC. Very hard to tell about Louisville, Pitt. NCSt could rise up at some point. BC has been good in the past as has Virginia.

I think my point is that you can't base conference alignment on current perceived program strength. That kind of stuff can swing the other way. Just look at the SEC east/west. The east was by far the strongest for several years as Alabama, LSU, and Auburn were all down while Ugag, UF, and Tenn were all up. Now it's swung the other direction. I think you just need to do it geographically and let the chips fall where they may. That's the best longterm plan because it makes the most economic sense and creates the most natural rivalries. It will make that part of the conference more exciting and attractive to the region.

And, at this point, I don't care if we're in a super tough ACC South. To my mind, that will prepare us for what really matters - beating Ugag in November.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the North-South, Yankees-Patriots, divisions make the most sense too. As someone from Florida, we consider Miami a northern city, anyway. I think both d'ohU and FSU care more about getting to play UF than each other.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
their travel is horrible any way you slice it, and actually Miami has centers of fans and alumni from its days in the Big east in the Northeast United states.

I think if you gave miami a guarantee cross over game with FSU, you would have these divisions.

ACC North
Miami
Virginia Tech
Lousiville
Cuse
B.C.
Pitt.
Virginia

ACC south
FSU
GaTech
Clemson
UNC
Duke
NCState
Wake

I know and acknowledge the problems in those divisions, Virginia wants to be with UNC/Duke and having both Wake and Duke in the same division isn't good for competitive balance, but still I think these create the most local rivalries.
I would throw Wake in the North and pull Miami South. Stick with geographic alignment, forget about current program strength. This is long term stuff we are talking about. I am in favor of adding a 9th game and killing the permanent crossover opponent as well.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
This reeks of Climpsumb just getting their feelings hurt bc of FSU's rise to dominance.
Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner! Also, Dan R is likely proposing shuffling the schedule so that Tech has to play at Climpsumb a third year in a row...

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
What happens when Notre Dame joins the AC in football?

Honestly to me, it looks like the ACC is trying to make itself as attractive as possible to Notre Dame. Pitt, B.C. are traditional, They certainly wouldn't mind having Tech either, we are their permanent partner in basketball, throw in georgraphical places to play like Clemson and Miami plus Notre Dame getting to keep Navy, USC and stanford, and the ACC is by far the best place for them.

I think we will have a 4-team playoff for a couple of years and then the outcry from conferences will be too great, we will eventually settle on an 8 team playoff with the champions of each Power 5 conference getting an auto bid, plus the next 3 as determined by the committee.

I think at this time, Notre Dame might, and i mean might join a conference, which would be the ACC.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like ACC Classic (UNC, NCSU, DU, WF, CU, UVA, and GT) vs ACC New ( FSU, VT, BC, UM, SU, LU and Pitt). I say get rid of crossover rivals and just rotate.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I like ACC Classic (UNC, NCSU, DU, WF, CU, UVA, and GT) vs ACC New ( FSU, VT, BC, UM, SU, LU and Pitt). I say get rid of crossover rivals and just rotate.
Still think geography is better long term, but that's an interesting idea I've never heard before.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer

Yeah I had never thought of that as well.

I just wish we would add Penn St/ N.D. go to pods of 4 and everybody can be happy.