ACC Preseason Poll 2022

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a national ranking rather than an ACC one but feels like it belongs best here.

Talk on the biggest movers in the ranking

Keep in mind these rankings will change significantly within the first 2-3 weeks. Hopefully GT makes a big move upward.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This is a national ranking rather than an ACC one but feels like it belongs best here.

Keep in mind these rankings will change significantly within the first 2-3 weeks. Hopefully GT makes a big move upward.
There is a lot more room to move up than to move down. 😳

slugboy

Staff member

Our #96 ranking is about where our FEI or SP+ ranking has been for the past three seasons. It seems CBS is saying “same as the past three years”

If Miami takes the step up that CBS predicts, they’ll be a handful

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
It really is hard being a Tech fan especially after seeing how far the football program has fallen. Is this the lowest preseason ranking ever? I tried to search, but came up empty.

I found this and noticed a few lean stretches for wins and bowls. But Tech did rebound. One can only hope this is the year.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
The Duke game will be crucial for us. It is very plausible for GT to go into that game 1-4. Duke has an easier schedule and could have 2 or maybe 3 wins and more momentum than GT.
Right there with Duke. Oh how far we have fallen..

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
The voters are going by past performances and we were not building any positive momentum the end of last year. It was just the opposite. There are a lot of uncertainties with several teams this year. Preseason voting means nothing. We will know what we have about 3 or 4 games into the season. So will several other teams.
Sorry, but what momentum from 0-100 are you referring to? I know I am not an insider, but from the outside things don't look good.

slugboy

Staff member
Sorry, but what momentum from 0-100 are you referring to? I know I am not an insider, but from the outside things don't look good.
He’s saying that losing to Notre Dame and UGA by a combined 100-0 score means we were going the wrong way in the minds of the voters—we “apparently” regressed and have “negative momentum” going into 2022.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
How can we not have positive momentum from 0-100? Are you thinking we get waxed 0-110 in the first 2 games? All we have to do is lose 0-98 or 14-100 and it would be momentum in a positive direction.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree.

As a closet Miami fan (started when I rooted for them and Schnellenberger to beat big, bad Nebraska in early 80s), it has been brutal to watch both them and Tech mostly stink. Tech exceeded expectations a few seasons, but seems like every year at least one team mauled us, even when we were pretty good. Miami has been underacheiving since Coker was forced out. Randy Shannon was a disaster and then one coach after another come in, going to restore them to glory, only to fail in the same way.

The biggest issue with Canes is the crappy QB play and the lack of any dominant line play that was their calling card in 80s and 90s. They're too quick to hand over reins to a dual-threat QB that can't run or throw well. The last time they were powerful, they had a pocket QB that could sling it. They need to find a top notch passing QB and stop putting too much emphasis on elevating lesser passers due to some running ability. Tech is in need of the same...start finding true passing QBs, if they can run a bit, great, but we haven't had a real passing QB since Godsey. Sims is not good at passing. Good arm, thats it.

Miami DL and OL never better than average ACC and no longer LB-U or RB-U.
Their drop is as stark as Cornhuskers drop from relevance. Staggering how two of the four most consistently NC level programs of the 90s (Florida, Florida State, Miami and Nebraska) have fallen so hard. Florida hasn't exactly been great either, but certainly better than Miami and Nebraska. Florida State was still relevant right up until about 5 years ago and since then, they may be the worst of the bunch.
I agree with this but think you are a tad bit too hard on the Canes now. Manny appeared to have gotten the team turned around but fans wanted him gone so that was that. There is plenty of talent on that team. Enough to win the Coastal and perhaps, even beat Clemson for the ACC crown. It would not surprise me. Mario has the coaching chops if he can get them to play to their potential. I can see where you are skeptical about both lines but that is supposed to be Mario's forte so we will see. I would rather be in their shoes than just about anyone else's in the ACC especially Georgia Tech and Duke.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It really is hard being a Tech fan especially after seeing how far the football program has fallen. Is this the lowest preseason ranking ever? I tried to search, but came up empty.

I found this and noticed a few lean stretches for wins and bowls. But Tech did rebound. One can only hope this is the year.

Just my opinion but we are not in as bad a shape just yet as we were in the late 70s and early 80s. Facilities were generally acknowledged as the worst in college football and talent was pretty low at most positions with virtually no depth. Bill Curry had himself in quite a pickle that took every bit of 4 years to get to the point of being competitive. There was serious talk of ending the football program which is not the case now. If we win only three or fewer this year...well, let's not even think about it.